GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sputtering when accelerating slowly from stop.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Hi Guys,

New to forums and to VW cars in general.
Just bought a used 2011 DSG GTI last week and am loving it...mostly.

I'm having an issue and I haven't found any previous posts about it after searching everywhere for last couple days.

What I am experiencing is a frequent, but not constant, sputtering sound from what seems to be somewhere on the left side of the car.(exhaust?)

The sputtering only occurs when in drive and accelerating slowly from a stop.
If I accelerate fast the sound occurs but only a split second.
Also it seems that it only occurs when the engine is warm, in the mornings it is less likely to occur.

The sound is not reproduced from reving the engine in neutral nor at speeds above ~10mph.
I don't feel like I'm losing any power during the sputtering, nor is my rpm gauge acting odd during the event (if that's any help).

To give some history on the car it is currently at 108K miles and had intake manifold replaced and carbon cleaning at 102K. Water pump was replaced at 105K. Learned from carfax and paper records, work was done at VW dealer.

And I just replaced spark plugs and ignition coils today, was definitely needed but noise is still present.

Any Ideas to further debug?

I'm still very new to all this so hoping you guys have some ideas.
If I cant figure it out I'll eventually take it to the shop.
Just trying to learn things when I can.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Video of the noise might help. Is this DSG farts?

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Video of the noise might help. Is this DSG farts?

Difficult to obtain video since I have no one else to drive for me or record me.
Ill see what I can do.
Its not DSG farts, at least not the ones i'm familiar with.
From what I'm aware entire exhaust is stock.

Since changing the ignition coils and spark plugs it has seemed to become less frequent now.

Any way to test this?

Check your engine, trans and pendulum mounts for wear.
Will do and report back when I get a chance.

dbgti

Say whaaa?
I was having similar issues with mine. Applying Very light throttle from a stop on flat or incline and the car would feel like it was sputtering, but once it reached 2k rpm it would act normal. Then one day with the AC on I heard a belt squeal, so I replaced the belt. I got about a 40% improvement on the sound and vibration. After a few weeks they both returned. I ended up replacing the SERPENTINE belt Tensioner along with a fresh belt and now all is good. Not saying this is your problem, but it doesn’t hurt to check.