GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weekend Car Possibilities

glory

Ready to race!
For the past few months I have been kicking around the idea of finding a fun weekend car for next summer. I have no idea if it will actually happen within the next year but eventually I will get one.

Basically what I am looking for is something to tinker with, be RWD, be an older car and not be a large car. I want an older car to experience the 'raw' feeling of driving without all the electronic gizmos. I am more fond of smaller cars for some reason, so I haven't taken a look at muscle cars.

I have gone through my head several different cars and the reasons to keep them in mind or not:

-Miata (not overly fond of styling)
-E36 M3 (styling is ok but doesn't get my blood boiling)
-E46 M3 (love the looks, but doesn't seem 'raw' enough)
-Toyota MR2 (Cool cars, but does nothing for me)
-RX-7 FD (Love the styling, been in one enjoyed it, RHD doesn't sit with me that well)
-Nissan Skyline (Same reasons as RX-7)
-Air Cooled Porsches (Love the styling, seems 'raw' enough)

I started with the p-cars for looking then eventually ended back with them. Something about them keeps drawing me in. Might the 2 seater, the flat 6, the history, etc. In particular I was looking at 964's and 993's; until recently. Then came in the 930's. The 993's aren't as good looking as the previous versions but have potential. I love the styling of 964 and the 930's. If I got a 964 (forum browsing and wishful thinking) I would like to get it to ~300HP at the wheels. Looking into that seems like a pretty penny and might be more worthwhile to start with a 930.

I haven't had a whole lot of exposure to these types of cars and want to hear what you guys & gals have to say about all of this.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I mean, a Miata is the obvious choice in terms of price, fun, easy to work on, reliable, plenty of aftermarket support, etc.

That said, tons of people have them for those reasons, so it's not very unique or exciting.

Do you have a pretty large budget? An E46 M3 or air cooled Porche will cost you quite a bit to buy and keep up. There are left hand drive FDs. 300ZX twin turbos are pretty cool rides IMO and they're pretty affordable. Older Z cars are sweet too. You could always mod an E30?

glory

Ready to race!
I mean, a Miata is the obvious choice in terms of price, fun, easy to work on, reliable, plenty of aftermarket support, etc.

That said, tons of people have them for those reasons, so it's not very unique or exciting.

Do you have a pretty large budget? An E46 M3 or air cooled Porche will cost you quite a bit to buy and keep up. There are left hand drive FDs. 300ZX twin turbos are pretty cool rides IMO and they're pretty affordable. Older Z cars are sweet too. You could always mod an E30?

Yes I agree on the miata but everyone has them and maybe that's why I am not pumped about them. I see an old porsche and I get excited hahaha.

My budget is up in the air atm. But if I wan't something and its reasonable I have no problem in saving longer for it. I am thinking the <$20k mark. If it will actually be that high I won't know until later on.

Around my area E46 M3 goes for ~$22k-$25k, air cooled P-cars go for $20k-$70k. I have seen LHD FDs but always want $25-30K for them and they are usually across the country. 300ZX is an odd car for me, it has potential but doesn't stir me. If I went with an older Z car it would probably be a Datsun 240Z. Are you talking about a regular e30? Seems like the only real appeal would be an e30 M3 and those are highly sought after and high priced.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
go for an z3 hatch 2001-2002 3.2 m. I'm thinking about getting either 3.0i or the m within couple of years. 300zx is great but i would use that as a daily though, but thats just me.
or a 318ti with the s52 swap would be great also, i find the coupe to be quite big tbh

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Yeah E30 M3 are like $40k I think?

I've never driven an E30, but everyone says they're amazing to drive, I figured if you were interested in doing some modding, it could be fun. Doesn't have to start out quick to be quick, I bet some of those old Porches are pretty slow.

I here you about things not really stirring you, may as well feel passionate about a weekend car if you're getting one.

glory

Ready to race!
@Troy - Ya turbo MR2 is cool, do they come in a coupe (no T-top)?

@Tkul - I was looking at z4m's but they are easy $30k, but super low mileage. Friend say they are fun to drive with being over the rear axle.

@Griff - True doesn't need to start out fast but sportiness would be cool. I'll have to think about that one. As for older P-cars, they don't seem to bad for performance. The 964's have 250HP and ~220lb-ft which isnt bad, 0-60 in 5.5s. If that got up to 300HP at the wheels I think it would be a hoot. the 930's have ~300HP and 0-60 in 5.0s & 0-100 in 5.4s.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Skyline GTS-T's are a waste of time, don't bother with them.

glory

Ready to race!
Lol troy, well ok I'll give you that one. :p

So CAR (mag from the UK) just showed up.....they go through how to buy a classic 911....it has to be a sign lol.

Most likely won't do a skyline because of RHD setup.

Been browsing Rennlist and PelicanParts forums today....sigh.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Old Beetle or Karmann Ghia.

chad13761

Ready to race!
Old Beetle or Karmann Ghia.

<< I was going to say that.:thumbsup:

There's nothing more "raw" than the no power steering, no power brakes, cable activated carburetor, cable activated clutch, and the ever-present smell of some vital fluid leaking from somewhere.