GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Travel Tip's & Suggestions

MikeASKspeed

Ready to race!
Keep the air vents a little on the cool side. Doing so helps keep you a more awake and alert. I remember reading that in my 328i's manual!

Yes it does! I watched an eposide of american truckers where they talked about staying awake and alert when driving long hauls.

Im planning on taking the necessities along with us for the week trip. I plan to change the oil a few days before we leave. What i need to do is get a hold of some cheap roof rack starter bars for Colt's cage (my dog). That thing will not fit in the car so it'll have to strap it to the roof...the cage not my dog...:lol:

Anybody travel with pet's?? This is my first time in a new car. Colt is great in the car he mostly sleeps. We will be pulling over at rest stops frequently to let him stretch his legs, but for the most part he will hold it all in until he knows its time to pee and/or poo!! hahaha!! I plan on throwing an old sheet or two on the back seat and hopefully secure it enough so it wont come off. Anybody have suggestions??

Thanks!!

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Get yourself a bag of dark chocolate covered espresso beans. Not only are they freakin' delicious to snack on, but you'll get a caffeine jolt without having to drink anything, which means fewer pee stops.

Plus, spare quart of oil, and maybe a AAA membership, just in case...

MikeASKspeed

Ready to race!
Really?? Never thought of that, but it sounds like a good idea!! Need to pick some up. As far as AAA, i got that lol! Wouldnt leave home without it. My family and friends are a little slow to help a kid out haha. AAA always had my back. Its a good investment especially when those pZero's pick up every motherloving object on the road!

Along The Razor's Edge

Ready to race!
Before I go on a long road trip I apply a fresh coat of wax to my bumper. Seems to make cleaning the bugs off easier.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Really?? Never thought of that, but it sounds like a good idea!! Need to pick some up. As far as AAA, i got that lol! Wouldnt leave home without it. My family and friends are a little slow to help a kid out haha. AAA always had my back. Its a good investment especially when those pZero's pick up every motherloving object on the road!

Yes, really! I've taken them on every road trip I've been on in the last dozen years or so, which would be almost 10 trips. Caffeine can be really important if you're on the road at night and you've got a ways to go before you can stop. Definitely works for my wife and me.

Since you already have AAA, remember to take advantage of their excellent free road maps and Tourbooks. They're full of great info on hotels, restaurants, and attractions, etc.

maxboost83

Ready to race!
The rest breaks to pee help out a lot. Use that time to relax and stretch, take a 30 min break if needed. Also try to eat healthy stuff, fast food just makes you feel tired. I've driven from OKC to Seattle in one go using this method. I left OKC around noon on a Friday and was in the northern Seattle area by 9pm Saturday. I don't recommend doing this, but this is what helped me the most.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
The rest breaks to pee help out a lot. Use that time to relax and stretch, take a 30 min break if needed. Also try to eat healthy stuff, fast food just makes you feel tired. I've driven from OKC to Seattle in one go using this method. I left OKC around noon on a Friday and was in the northern Seattle area by 9pm Saturday. I don't recommend doing this, but this is what helped me the most.

+1 on actually stopping long enough to eat outside of the car. An extra 10 minutes is no big deal AND it keeps food out of your car.

Zach84

Ready to race!
How did people take road trips before the interwebs...

I bought a car to drive. It is a GTI, not a show car. It does not need anything special to make a ~2,000 mile round trip.

Just get in and drive! Take breaks or switch drivers when tired, trust me. I use to drive A LOT for work, you can go from yawning to falling asleep in seconds. Just a 5min rest break to stretch your legs and get some air, can make all the difference.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
True, I make ~1000 mile trips roughly every other weekend without any special preparation but I think it is something that you have to grow into. I know a lot of people that have never been in a car for more than ~2 hours and the idea of a 500+ mile trip is daunting to them. It sounds odd to me, but I grew up taking 500+ mile trips 30+ weekends out of the year.

That being said, doing a 30-hour drive from Detroit to Idaho with just regular food/gas stops and 1 short nap was still quite a trip even to me.

Different strokes and all that.

Zib

Passed Driver's Ed
Make sure you have the proper insurance identification card. If you don’t have one, have your agent issue one immediately. It will state that your policy carries the minimum liability limits required by law, as well as give the insurance company’s name, policy number, effective dates, description of the insured vehicle, VIN, name of the insured, Agency and phone numbers.

Hopefully, you won’t need to use it. Have a nice trip.

Charlie Sheen

Ready to race!
Every summer I drive Québec - Florida Round-Trip (~4000miles) and I make an oil change before and after, wax the front bumper / mirror covers, aquapel the windows and headlights, inflate the tire a bit and I always take with me a small bucket with everything I need to clean the car in a CarWash. The sooner you remove those bugs, the less chances you have to stain your paint.

MikeASKspeed

Ready to race!
Thank's everyone! And.isnt the purpose of an online forum to read and offer tips, suggestions, product reviews etc? How did we buy cars before the web? You can say that, arguably, about everything. I personally like to read what others have to say about different topics. Not as to influence one decision but to keep choices open and choose whats best. Anyway thanks again!