GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter-friendly Brake Pads

Dubs1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

I live in Southwestern Ontario (London to be specific) and for those who aren't familiar with the area, we generally see a fair bit of rain and snow throughout the spring/fall/winter. I did try to search for some threads on this topic but didn't come up with much. It seems a lot of you like StopTech pads.

I don't do track days, but I do drive spiritedly on a regular basis.
My rears are squeaking (down to about 25%) and drive me bonkers, so something that is low noise.
Something that is very wet/cold weather friendly, with good heat dissipation for the really hot days.
Stock brakes all the way around for now, just want an improvement over the OEM pads (2010 GTI).

Cheers,

Josh

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Stoptech street pads. Incredibly cheap and I've had no issues with them (run them all year round. I bought them for $100 US dollars last year shipped for all four corners. You really can't beat them.

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
Stoptech street pads. Incredibly cheap and I've had no issues with them (run them all year round. I bought them for $100 US dollars last year shipped for all four corners. You really can't beat them.

Agreed, still have mine on the rear (and StopTech BBK on the front). No noise.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
STOPTECH.

Dubs1

Passed Driver's Ed
So you guys think I should go with StopTech then? ;)

Since I can see that you guys are all from similar climates as mine, I'll take your word for it. :)

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
One more vote for Stoptechs. Great DD pads.

Dubs1

Passed Driver's Ed
Any suggestions where in Canada I can get them? Or possibly a shop near the border that would have them?

Dubs1

Passed Driver's Ed
We can ship them to you or to a border mailbox if you have one.

Thanks Sonny. I found a local shop that got them for about the same price as TR, but without the (unfortunate) high shipping costs. One of the banes of living in Canada, lol.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Sonny. I found a local shop that got them for about the same price as TR, but without the (unfortunate) high shipping costs. One of the banes of living in Canada, lol.

And that local shop is....?

Dubs1

Passed Driver's Ed
And that local shop is....?

Oh, Unauthorized Performance here in London. Came to about $190 including shipping and taxes. Needed to get them by the weekend and pricing seems on par with the more OEM-like pads a parts store suggested.

As a side note: my fronts are still at about 50%, but rears are squeaking now and at about 25%. It is best to just replace them all at this point since I'm upgrading the quality of the pads, yes?