GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5l mods

Dbyrd342

New to the 5 cylinder scene. Haven't seen a lot online for performance parts for these engines. Are there really any mods? What have you guys done for mods? Was buying a 5 cylinder a mistake? My plan is to hit about 300hp. Nothing too major but I don't have a budget so money doesn't matter

Last edited:

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Ya to get 300hp deff need a turbo, maybe you should of got a gti...but if you got the money anything is possible.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Sell it now before you dump money into it. I had one, and either do just cosmetic stuff, or if you're serious, run before you try to "maximize" performance. You're either working with a slush box, or you have a 5 speed, neither compare to the options present in the GTI. You'll not have the fit and finish of it either, and with the prices coming down recently, it easily makes sense to go that way

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
but if he does say stage 3+ turbo he will destroy a stage 2 or 3 gti no?

as for mods moslty just cosmetic: rims, coilovers, tint, gti exhaust, intake. not much to do unless you want to go turbo

c72k

Go Kart Champion
but if he does say stage 3+ turbo he will destroy a stage 2 or 3 gti no?

as for mods moslty just cosmetic: rims, coilovers, tint, gti exhaust, intake. not much to do unless you want to go turbo

That's debatable. You'd have other considerations at that point. Stage 2, easy kill, but BT gti is a different story that requires more specifics:thumbsup:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Seeing that the OP bought a 2010 Golf instead of something newer or a 2010 GTI, me thinks the statement about having no budget is exactly that !

Just saying... .

somerset91

Ready to race!
The 2.5L is enough performance if you know what you're doing. I used to have one. If I could have it my way, it'd be 2.5L with the 02Q transmission, a cup kit, chassis braces, intake, and exhaust. That's all the performance you'd need from a DD/canyon cruiser. It doesn't have the turbo kick or the potential to get more power from a tune, but you'll still have a hoot.

Do some suspension mods and drive up some twisties.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The 2.5L is enough performance if you know what you're doing. I used to have one. If I could have it my way, it'd be 2.5L with the 02Q transmission, a cup kit, chassis braces, intake, and exhaust. That's all the performance you'd need from a DD/canyon cruiser. It doesn't have the turbo kick or the potential to get more power from a tune, but you'll still have a hoot.

Do some suspension mods and drive up some twisties.
I agree some what, we all agree that you can't get 300HP without turbo, but does everyone really need turbo? The guys who have turbo their engine can't even post 0-60 or quarter mile times, it's embarrassing as they can't even launch the car to get a good time.

The 1st and 2nd gears along with the final drive are just a bit too long for the stock HP/TQ numbers but once you add a good tune and up the torques numbers the long gearing become less of an issue and since it is a normally aspirated car the throttle control probable make it a better drivers car for the canyon runs than a peaky turbo engine with too much power... .

Last edited: