GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 next week... Is the slip inevitable

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
I got some T304 to pair with the midpipe less downpipe I have, a bung, and a reducer. My bud is gonna Tig weld it for me next week and then we were gonna throw it on there and head over to get my car flashed...

I hear a fair amount about slipping clutches, is this the majority or minority?

My thought was if it slips I will bump it down to Stage 1 and save some money.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
I got some T304 to pair with the midpipe less downpipe I have, a bung, and a reducer. My bud is gonna Tig weld it for me next week and then we were gonna throw it on there and head over to get my car flashed...

I hear a fair amount about slipping clutches, is this the majority or minority?

My thought was if it slips I will bump it down to Stage 1 and save some money.

Seems like the majority, especially with this cold weather. Moar power, moar cold, moar slippage. I went 2 weeks on stage 2 and replaced it again after 1 year still at stage 2.

Welcome to the pain of the stick for mk6 GTIs!

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
You went stage 2 then replaced the clutch once, and then a third time?

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
It's extremely rare for a stage 2 to not slip. Expect the worse - expect it to happen - and expect tl pay for a clutch that can handle the power. It's a bummer, but I think it's worth it. I was stage 1 then went stage 2. It was a nice bump in power, torque delivery and sound. In the end, a new clutch was woth it to me. But this is a great car at any level.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
I suppose. The gain from stage 2 just doesn't quite justify the cost of a clutch to me. I suppose I will see what happens.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
A bud of mine did 30k on stage 2 and 15k on KO4 before any issues I suppose I'm just hoping for a situation like that

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
You went stage 2 then replaced the clutch once, and then a third time?

I went stage 1 then replaced the 1st clutch about 2 weeks afterward, during the winter. Then about 11 months after, winter again and 20k more and it went out. I went from Stock/OrigDMFW to CM FX350/OrigDMFW and finally to RSR/ReplacedDMFW and thats been doing great so far!

A bud of mine did 30k on stage 2 and 15k on KO4 before any issues I suppose I'm just hoping for a situation like that

Those are definitely the least common outcomes, most will replaced a clutch shortly after stage 2 and nearly immediately at K04. Most of the guys in our club had GTIs and they everyone had to replaced their clutches after stage 2 some at stage 1.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
it probably will not slip right away... but it will eventually.

For me it was about 12k miles or so on stage2. Had 7k miles on stage 1 prior to that.

There are good clutch options out there and good installers. I had my whole kit installed for 200 Euros

GOODS

Ready to race!
It will definitely begin to slip at Stage 2 after some time. Depends how you drive though. If you drive conservatively you won't notice it as much.

That being said, I just installed a new clutch that can handle the power and I love how the car feels!

D Darko

Ready to race!
To answer your thread question: yes, more than likely the clutch will need replacing at Stage 2. There are certainly a few that have no issues or it was quite some time before slippage began, but counting/planning for it is a good idea. There are plenty of Stage 1's and stockers that ran into the same issue as well.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Planning to replace is ok with me I'm just hoping it's not an issue right away

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Somehow I doubt I'll be able to hold to that haha

willmk4

Go Kart Champion
Whatt never go full throttle lol. I wouldnt be able to do that
I just got my downpipe to go to stage2 .. I guess I better start saving for a better clutch.
Which ones are you guys recommending?