GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil overfill

ryannz07

Hi,

I put 1L of oil in my golf gti 3 weeks ago. Went on a long journey, then the next time I checked the dipstick (30mins after running engine to 90 deg celcius), the oil level was at the "A" of MAX. I am pretty sure this is a little too much as it is past the top bend.

Should I take it to the garage for them to drain the oil ASAP? I haven't noticed any issue/symptom yet. Car is a 2011 model GTI MK6 2.0LT and has done ~13k miles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jfaccas

Ready to race!
I don't think it's a problem, keep an eye on your dipstick. If it's really bothering, you can just loosen the bolt holding your oil in the pan just a little bit. Just do drain a tiny bit of oil until it's right to he top of your dipstick.

ryannz07

thanks very much. I might try to locate the oil plug under the car. the car is due a safety check next month, so might just ask the garage to drain it for me :)

Jfaccas

Ready to race!
It's located at the back of the oil pan. Right under your car near your passenger front tire. If you take a look under the car, it's fairly easy to locate!

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Too much oil is bad. The oil comes in contact with moving parts it shouldn't and will aerate. When oil aerates it causes cavitation or bubbles that prevent the oil from passing through all the little passages. Not to mention it can damage your catalytic converter.

Renner

Go Kart Champion
Too much oil is bad. The oil comes in contact with moving parts it shouldn't and will aerate. When oil aerates it causes cavitation or bubbles that prevent the oil from passing through all the little passages. Not to mention it can damage your catalytic converter.

Dat knowledge

reshwitz

Ready to race!
Since it is just a relatively small amount of oil to drain, you could just siphon a little bit out of the dipstick tube into an empty oil bottle.

Easier than removing the drain bolt.

CobraKing

Ready to race!
Turn a bolt or rig up something to siphon it....turning a bolt sounds easier :iono:

Thing is that the minute you unbolt the drain bolt, the oil is going to shoot out and it can get messy. I don't think it's possible to get a 'little' oil out. :iono:

Renner

Go Kart Champion

Thing is that the minute you unbolt the drain bolt, the oil is going to shoot out and it can get messy. I don't think it's possible to get a 'little' oil out. :iono:

When loosening the plug it will slowly pour out, so you just watch how loose you make the plug...not sure why yours is shooting out and making a mess.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Some of the bolts/pans will start to slow drain as soon as it's cracked loose, some wot drip at all until it's removed completely. But if you loosen it you want to replace the crush washer. As for the level, don't worry about it. Consumers are inherently stupid and neglectful so because of that the actual operating range is a lot wider than the dipstick shows, they just need to cover their butts so they put a smaller range which leaves lots of room for error and it'll still operate just fine.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
WOT runs to burn off excess :)? You can let it drain and pop a new bolt in. I had to replace my bolt as it was not OEM and started leaking. Removing bolt and replacing while oil was flowing out yielded 1/2 quart. I was pretty quick though. But it's possible!