GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cutout Valve

kumnick1

Ive been thinking on what to do with my car to make it sound better, but im not wanting to drop a ton for it. I thought maybe a cutout valve could be nice to use because it can pretty much straight pipe the car while still allowing the quietness. Has anyone done this/ have any recomendations?

TrboGTi

Ready to race!
It depends largely on what mods you have concerning whether or not it will be beneficial. On a stock turbo, it'll be obnoxiously loud and have lot of turbo spool sound. If that's what you're after, then you will like it. However, it won't be beneficial above what a regular downpipe would be. Now if you are still on the stock downpipe, then it would be beneficial from a performance standpoint.
Now for a bigger turbo setup, it's definitely beneficial. I had an electric cutout on my big turbo mk4, and i gained 2-3 psi simply by opening the cutout, and i had a full 3" catless exhaust. There are gains to be had, even with a full exhaust. But just know, that it is LOUD and sounds like a diesel lol. But it also sounds like a jet engine every time you get on the throttle, so it just depends on what you think sounds good. I liked it, but I wouldn't do it to my mk6 unless I was building a dedicated track car. ATP used to make a cutout that opened based on boost, and you could control it with a MBC. That was an awesome idea and probably would have been a big hit if they hadn't discontinued it. For what it's worth regarding reliability, i had mine for well over 5 years and never had a single issue.

Last edited:

kumnick1

It depends largely on what mods you have concerning whether or not it will be beneficial. On a stock turbo, it'll be obnoxiously loud and have lot of turbo spool sound. If that's what you're after, then you will like it. However, it won't be beneficial above what a regular downpipe would be. Now if you are still on the stock downpipe, then it would be beneficial from a performance standpoint.
Now for a bigger turbo setup, it's definitely beneficial. I had an electric cutout on my big turbo mk4, and i gained 2-3 psi simply by opening the cutout, and i had a full 3" catless exhaust. There are gains to be had, even with a full exhaust. But just know, that it is LOUD and sounds like a diesel lol. But it also sounds like a jet engine every time you get on the throttle, so it just depends on what you think sounds good. I liked it, but I wouldn't do it to my mk6 unless I was building a dedicated track car. ATP used to make a cutout that opened based on boost, and you could control it with a MBC. That was an awesome idea and probably would have been a big hit if they hadn't discontinued it. For what it's worth regarding reliability, i had mine for well over 5 years and never had a single issue.

very helpful. thank you!