GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k Maintenance Advice

Zach0918

Ready to race!
So I called the stealership today to see what my 40k maintenance was gonna cost, almost 400 with state inspection. Not sure if this is good or bad but I was hoping to some of the maintenance myself in an effort ro learn and save a bit of $.

I think I'm going to let them do the oil ($65-$80 for full synthetic) and of course the inspection. I would like to try to do the spark plugs and the cabin/pollen filter myself. They mentioned the air filter but I have a CAI so I'll just clean/replace that filter myself.

My question are the spark plugs something a novice mechanic can change with biting off more then I can chew? And how do I know which plugs I need? I drive a 2014 if that matters.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
The spark plugs are dead easy, you just need a spark plug socket and an extender. Cabin filter takes legit 30 seconds. Check some youtube videos, and the threads on here about the spark plugs and you will be confident you can do it yourself. Nothing you can mess up.

If you have a torque wrench and a spark plug gapper, that would be a plus.

Zach0918

Ready to race!
The spark plugs are dead easy, you just need a spark plug socket and an extender. Cabin filter takes legit 30 seconds. Check some youtube videos, and the threads on here about the spark plugs and you will be confident you can do it yourself. Nothing you can mess up.

If you have a torque wrench and a spark plug gapper, that would be a plus.

Yeah I've done a bit of research and it seems pretty straightforward but I wanted to make sure since the plugs are 175 to replace. I don't have any tools for this application really. I mean I have normal socket sets but thats it. Anyone have any suggestions on a basic shopping list to get the job done?

Any thoughts on how to determine exactly which plugs I need?

THANKS

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
A few notes for changing spark plugs:

• The DIY Spark Plug Change Guide by Grambles has all the info you need.
  • Use NGK PFR7S8EG. It's the stock plug in the GTI and also in the Golf R. It's a double platinum plug, so it has good longevity and has proven to be a really flexible and stable performer through many applications. It's pre-gapped so no need to mess around with gapping unless you have engine modifications. The BKR7EIX is another option but IMO not quite as good as the PFR7S8EG. It's frequently used with water/meth injection set ups since iridium plugs are more resistant to erosion from methanol exposure.
  • You should probably have a torque wrench for installing spark plugs...you can pick one up pretty cheap and it's worth it for this critical application.
  • Unclipping and removing the coil packs can be a bit tricky. When removing the coil pack harness clips be gentle and don't force anything.
  • The coil packs are hard to get a grip on to lift off of the spark plugs. If necessary use the "zip tie trick" (detailed in the aforementioned DIY guide).
Good luck, you should have no issues and save yourself some money if you follow the guide. Also, if you're only at 40k miles you should really drive your car more :thumbsup:

Last edited: