GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Challenge to APR

Chainspike

Ready to race!
I want to challenge APR to make a stand alone ECU for this car. I am tired of having to run already setup maps and being stuck/forced to run certain setups. I want a fully custom programmable stand alone ECU. One that I can take out of the damn car hook to a laptop and load whatever the freak I want on it. Like this AEM solution http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/AEM/Engine_Management/Engine_Management_Stand_Alone/EMS/1275
I want to able to have my car dyno tuned toward my setup! Sooo APR.. I challemge you to make a fully stand alone ECU. There is more then a demand on here for it and I'd be willing to pay up to 2 g's for it.

Chainspike

Ready to race!
Oh man! You challenged them!? They're for sure going to do it now!

My guess, not gonna happen.

Yeah your probably right.... Ahh At least was worth a shot. Maybe can get someone thinking about it. To be honest not a bad idea. I'm sure a lot of people would opt for the stand alone option versus the flash.

It would open a lot more doors for us thats for sure. With a viable tuning solution for us, you could run different types of setups. Think about it... You would have the entire GTI ECU market cornered for larger setups.

Just saying... probably will never happen but hey I can still dream.

FNR32

Ready to race!
You'd probably have better luck having APR do a custom tune on your OEM ecu than getting a stand alone. I know, at least for a while, they did offer custom tunes but i am not certain if they still do that.

Chainspike

Ready to race!
I wonder if you can work with VAST Performance. A friend of mine gets custom tunes from them for his S4. They even use APR's ECMS.

That is an excellent idea. I'll diffenetly look into that see what they can do. You never know...

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
lmfao. you have a lot to learn. these aren't subies; suffice it to say that the electronic architecture of this car makes it nearly impossible to modify maps and impossible to modify maps without making the car run like shit, explode, experience a huge drop in reliability, or some combination of those. the fact that our tuners give us canned solutions that actually work is a gift.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
Our ecu's are way too complex to run any sort of standalone....even if you could, there is so much tied into the ecu that it is nearly impossible to tune properly

this. so much shit would get fucked up if a tuner gave us a solution to modify tunes ourselves.

Chainspike

Ready to race!
lmfao. you have a lot to learn. these aren't subies; suffice it to say that the electronic architecture of this car makes it nearly impossible to modify maps and impossible to modify maps without making the car run like shit, explode, experience a huge drop in reliability, or some combination of those. the fact that our tuners give us canned solutions that actually work is a gift.

Yeah, I'm learning first german car but if anyone knows the inner working of the GTI ECU best, its APR. I think APR would have the best shot at achieveing the impossible... Am I wrong? I mean who better to make one?

In fact did my first launch today... LoL didn't go soo good. Theres a dead street by me that the homes were never built on when the economy dived. Bunch of guys usually go there to fuck off with their cars. Tired 3,000 rpm and I'll sum it up. 1st gear - squealing pulling slightly to one side.. 2nd lots of smoke squealing continues... 3rd more smoke squealing stopped, me = trunk. After about third try got it at about 2300-2500 ish , still tore those tires up a bit but pulled much better. Diffently getting a nice set of radials for when I feel comfortable enough to take it down to english town. The people there liked it alot and I had a blast XD

Mods : Stage II flash, APR intercooler, AWE TOP, BSH throttle pipe (got both of them to fit perfect BTW =D), APR stage II intake, AWE turbo back, Forge DV valve spacer, and I got the BSH mount package in the mail... Should be here friday hopefully. I also got Yokohama Parada's on there super sticky.

Last edited:

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
Yeah, I'm learning first german car but if anyone knows the inner working of the GTI best its APR. I think APR would have the best shot at achieveing the impossible... Am I wrong? I mean who better to make one?

who better to make one? nobody, including APR. it's nothing to do with APR or any other tuners not being up to the task, it's just an impossible goal. yes, you are wrong, in the sense that you need to understand this is not going to happen.

don't you think APR would have tried to do this if it was possible? you're wording makes it as if the tuners have never thought of this before lol. the tuners themselves have said before that we're never going to get a solution; I'm sure if APR chimes in they'll be happy to tell you that this will never happen.

on the MKV, this was arguably the closest you could get to customizing a tune, and if you read the thread it wasn't even available for customers (it was only something that certain Unitronic authorized shops could be invited to learn about and use to tune customers' cars, as in not even all authorized Unitronic shops had what it would take to get invited to a training course and even some of the shops that were invited backed away. that's how complicated this shit is).
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100667

Nicoo..

Ready to race!
Yeah, I'm learning first german car but if anyone knows the inner working of the GTI ECU best, its APR. I think APR would have the best shot at achieveing the impossible... Am I wrong? I mean who better to make one?

thats a VERY big claim mate :thumbdown:
there are also the german tuners MTM and ABT..

but either way.. as Mellow Dubmarine said.. if it was possible it would have been done already...

don't forget that some of the biggest tuners out there can't crack the 2011 ECU yet..
i think that should give you an idea about how complex our ECUs are...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It would be nice, but not gonna happen. Cobb is the shit with Subaru/mitsu, etc.,, but those ECU's sound like a cake-walk compared to German stuff like VW and BMW.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
I know a guy that used to work for Bosch.

He said it was actually a rather simple ECU design once you understood it.