Any old fogeys like me with a GTI - I'm 43

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I'm 45, like the caliber and Love It!

I also have a VW CC for Family Outings.

Last edited:

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
I am in my 40's, got a GTI, on bags at that, and the majority of the guys that dig my car are basically 19. Who gives a F*ck. Buy what appeals to you, enjoy it, and enjoy!

gatormoe

I am 47 and got my 2012 a few months ago, I love it so much I wash it every week which has never happened before

ATC2

Ready to race!
Aahh..! My brethren finally! Glad to hear from you... :happyanim:

hpowders

Ready to race!
Maybe it's a midlife crisis car (well, a reasonable cost one) or I'm sick of just pure comfort of a sedan / SUV but I'm seriously considering getting a 2012 GTI. Just curious about whether I may wind up looking like a retired guy in an 18 year old's car. Ultimately, I probably won't care but at the moment wondering who else seems to have had the same interest in the vehicle.

If you guys can chime in on what drove you to purchase one over other vehicles, it'd help me make the whole decision more concrete in my mind.

Thanks!!

I'm quite a bit older than you- by 24 years and up until a few months ago was driving a 2007 Porsche 911. Now I'm driving a new 2012 4 door GTI. I like small cars that handle well-no minivans, SUV's or Prius' for me!

I personally don't care how I look to other folks. I keep my eyes on the road.

Life is short. Might as well enjoy it doing things you love.:)

Enjoy the car if you get it. I know I am!

VINNY1

Ready to race!
I'm 41! Remember, it's not how old you are, it's how good you look............I'm fucked!:(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

GTI2012

Ready to race!
Too old for a GTI?

I'm 58 and just bought a 2012 GTI. It's a great car. Zippy, fun and practical. WHy should the 18 year olds have all the fun. You get to a certain point in life where what others think is their problem.
It reminds me of a card my sister in law gave me on my 50th "you're only young once, but you can always be immature". When I drive the GTI I feel like this :thumbup:

TomMcD

Ready to race!
In most of the rest of the world our GTI's are sensible, fun, family cars for people who like to drive. Especially the four door version. It's only in the states were folk think you have to buy a seven passenger SUV to take our 1.4 children to school.

The only people who'll notice it's not a Golf are the car geeks anyway. And I turned 43 last month.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
I'm old (44 in a week) short, fat and comparatively broke. My first world problems aside, love the car. So glad I picked it over the mini cooper s.

rotomoto

40 here, just bought my CW Gti 3 weeks ago. Don't hesitate, buy it! This is one of the most fun cars I've ever owned, and there have been a few.

cwGTIautobahn

Ready to race!
I'll be 55 in December. This is my second GTI. 1st was a mark 1, new in 1983! Always haven driven something of center. Tried the suv thing (Acura RDX, even lowered and 20's) can't stand that type of vehicals, but to each his own. bought the GTI for a commuter, fun too. Like to keep the miles off the other cars.

good luck and enjoy

keep young my friends.

DarkCloak

Banned
30 here. This is definitively the hot hatch for adults. It actually shows how grown up you are to have such a practical automobile.

Keizerjohn

Maybe it's a midlife crisis car (well, a reasonable cost one) or I'm sick of just pure comfort of a sedan / SUV but I'm seriously considering getting a 2012 GTI. Just curious about whether I may wind up looking like a retired guy in an 18 year old's car. Ultimately, I probably won't care but at the moment wondering who else seems to have had the same interest in the vehicle.

If you guys can chime in on what drove you to purchase one over other vehicles, it'd help me make the whole decision more concrete in my mind.

Thanks!!

I'm 45. Remember, 40 is the new 30!

John Y1

Ready to race!
44 here; get the car - you can't do a damn thing about the calendar, but that doesn't mean you have to look, feel or act old! And with that being said, I don't see anything about this GTI that is somehow incompatible with a "mature" adult lifestyle - whatever that means...