GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange whistle noise after k04 install

anthmash

Passed Driver's Ed
Last night i finished up my k04 install, everything went smooth, bled the coolant and then it was time to take it on a drive. As soon as i got on thr road and the car started to make boost i started hearing a strange whistling noise like there was a massive boost leak. The car is not yet tuned for the k04, still on a custom tune for the k03, however i gave it one full throttle pull and i still saw aboit 21psi, so that leads me to contradict myself in thinking its a boost leak. I have yet to check it out but im wondering if anyone has had this issue afyer installing a k04 ?

EDIT: heres a link to a little video i recorded of the sound

https://youtu.be/SK2QzG97n5k

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Last night i finished up my k04 install, everything went smooth, bled the coolant and then it was time to take it on a drive. As soon as i got on thr road and the car started to make boost i started hearing a strange whistling noise like there was a massive boost leak. The car is not yet tuned for the k04, still on a custom tune for the k03, however i gave it one full throttle pull and i still saw aboit 21psi, so that leads me to contradict myself in thinking its a boost leak. I have yet to check it out but im wondering if anyone has had this issue afyer installing a k04 ?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Where is the DV located and what DV? Also what other mods do you have?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Sounds like a boost leak to me. I had one recently and would still make peak boost around 26-27 psi.

anthmash

Passed Driver's Ed
Im running the unitronic relocation with a rev d valve. Had the forge on there but suspected it was that, changed it out to the rev d since i have 2 sitting at home, still the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Well you have a few options to find boost leaks. In my case it was as simple as squeezing all of my siicone boost hoses and listening for air escaping, and tightening. You can also install a boost leak tester over the turbo, and put air in through a tire valve connection and feel around. Smoke leak testing is the best but smoke testers are not commonplace tools to have.

anthmash

Passed Driver's Ed

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
franco and anth. mine has always sounded like a combination of both of yours since installation. Sounds like a bigger turbo pulling way more air through the intake? Are you sure theres an issue?

Jet08

Ready to race!
Intake noise especially with cone style intake and KO4, for piece of mind you could put the original intake back on which will reduce the whistle and intake volume to check...

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
franco and anth. mine has always sounded like a combination of both of yours since installation. Sounds like a bigger turbo pulling way more air through the intake? Are you sure theres an issue?

as far as im concerned its not an issue for me. car works fine just makes funny sound.