GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting low MPG

seaborno

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with the AC killing the gas mileage. With the AC blasting, hwy and city combined mileage I get 24-26. In the winter, I get 27-29.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Your trip lengths can also matter. When my commute was 15 miles each way, I got 27-30 mpg. Now that it's 5 miles each way, I get 24-26 mpg.

Yes, I've found this to be very true. The GTI (more than other cars I've owned) burns a lot of gas during the engine's warm-up period, so if you're taking a lot of short trips on a cold engine, your mileage will be horrible.

Right now my commute is about 9 miles each way and I'm doing about 90% city / 10% highway. My MFI is reading out an avg of 24.8 mpg. For fun, here's a comparison to other cars I've used on this 9 mile commute:

GTI: 24.8 mpg displayed (3213 lbs / 200 hp)
STI: 20.7 mpg displayed (3371 lbs / 305 hp)
RSX: 30.1 mpg actual (2694 lbs / 160 hp)

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
My new GTI is just under 2,000 miles right now and here is what I've noticed:

1)break-in lasted about 1,000 miles then I started finally seeing highway mpg numbers above 30mpg, 35.5 has been my best thus far. I've even got near 28 mpg in city driving on occasion. Normal for me in the city is 25-27 mpg now. When it was brand new I only got 22-24mpg city and no better than 28mpg highway.

2)heat (above 90 deg.) kills mileage in the GTI by like 3-6 mpg per my observations.

3)it is easy to drive "economically" while in D mode, just stay out of the boost and you'll get great mpg in the city and highway. With the torque we have you don't need to push this car much in normal driving.

4)the occasional WOT pass will not seriously reduce your mileage but driving in the boost all the time will really lower your mpg's.

gkallis

Ready to race!
i refuse to use AC lol i just open windows and shift before 3k and i was getting 36mpg today

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
try living in the south and refusing ac. especially when you wear shirts and ties all day long for work.

i work in a lab that requires everyone to wear a long sleeve shirt, pants, and shoes. just bring two sets of clothes like i do.

i drive in a wife beater and shorts. i'll change into my work clothes when i get to work :thumbsup:

ohsnapzombies

Ready to race!
i work in a lab that requires everyone to wear a long sleeve shirt, pants, and shoes. just bring two sets of clothes like i do.

i drive in a wife beater and shorts. i'll change into my work clothes when i get to work :thumbsup:

if i did i'd have to change at lease 8 times a day :(

<- area manager and usually do store visits all week

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
As the others pointed out, AC really kills this car but it shouldn't be as bad as 24 mpg...might still be break-in and you might be kicking it harder than you think. I average 29 mph for a tank when I am on 60 mph backroads or 27ish combined on highway (I drive too fast). The AC is definitely brutal, screw with turning it on off and watch your fuel economy drop.

Well I have 1400 miles on the car. Took me less than 3 weeks to get that so as you can tell my commute is not stop and go short trips. We'll see. I bought the GTi to replace my gas guzzler. TDi would have been better but just not fun. Not trying to get crazy economy but high 20's would be nice.

Axleman

Ready to race!
Well I have 1400 miles on the car. Took me less than 3 weeks to get that so as you can tell my commute is not stop and go short trips. We'll see. I bought the GTi to replace my gas guzzler. TDi would have been better but just not fun. Not trying to get crazy economy but high 20's would be nice.

My average is 30.3 mpg over the 27 fill ups that I have tracked (I got lazy for a good while and didn't enter any into Fuelly.)

The worst I've gotten is 24 ish and I'm pretty sure that was on an autocross weekend. I've also gotten high 30s, low 40s with some seriously timid grandma driving.

Running the AC has a HUGE effect on mpg, a lot more than it should probably. I haven't done any scientific testing, but the other day I was on my commute home with the AC running and the MFD was holding steady at 28 or so. I turned off the AC for the rest of the trip (about 40 miles total) and it rose quickly to mid 30s. Once fall comes and you don't need to run the AC so much, you should see an improvement.

Messy

Any help?

I've got a 2010 GTI with the full APR stage 2 kit. I get 26 per gallon city with no ac and over 30 highway. Ac on I get 18 to 22 city.... Also poor throttle response with AC on. I'm assuming a heat soak issue but this is my first turbo charged car and I've only owned it for a month.

Would a bigger alternator + battery or bigger intercooler help solve this poor mpg/throttle issue at all?

Only reason I think a bigger alternator might help would be because the drain when the compressor kicks on...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk