GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG reflashed on tuned car. Important or not?

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
I am 100% sure that it's worth it. Have all ready bought it but not installed it yet.
I'll come back with info later on.

My reason for starting this thread was to see if the tune opens up the torque limit the gear box is holding allowing the engine perform better.
I though torque was held back due to limit in the sw of the DSG.

All other benefit the new tune is giving is a must and worth the money I am sure on that.
It makes the car better so it's must be good.

Any of the major tuners can work around the torque limit. Say if somebody just simply increases the torque limit to 500 Nm in the DSG and that is all, there would be 0 tangible gain.

Only way you're going to gain power is if you have a set up where peak power occurs past 6800 RPM or the DSG is slipping due to the amount of torque being made.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
After a short drive in a 2014 GLI DSG, I was shocked to experience the smoothness, effectiveness and the quickness of the shifts under normal/easy load (car had 100 miles or so), it was a beauty, left me speechless. I'm curious to find out the difference between the two and if my GTI can be updated/flashed with DSG software found in the newer GLI's (and possibly the upcoming GTIs). I think i would be contempt with such an 'upgrade', at least for my personal DD preference. That is what it comes down to in the end, isn't it? BTW...that thing sounds beautiful, somewhat exotic to a microscopic level.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
I think a DSG tune like all mods are a personal preference thing and at least there are some options. Though compared to the transmission re-tunes I see on GM products which are generally thrown in for free with engine re-maps it does make paying $350-$500 seem pretty painful for just a shift re-map.

With that said, I don't think DSG tunes are worth the money, I just don't feel I'm missing out on anything with my K04 GTI and stock DSG.

The DSG does just great with my K04, and frankly I don't want to raise my rev limit, or really care about changing the shift points as 95% of the time I feel the shift points are fine and D, and if I want to play I run it in S or M, or is that S&M?

Also there don't seem to be a lot of folks running DSG tunes and I wonder how negatively they affect the long term reliability of the transmission. Since there aren't many out there, the sample size is pretty small. But on the upside, I don't hear of tuned DSGs blowing up. They are an amazingly stout transmission considering how much people take stock power levels up without any issues.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
After a short drive in a 2014 GLI DSG, I was shocked to experience the smoothness, effectiveness and the quickness of the shifts under normal/easy load (car had 100 miles or so), it was a beauty, left me speechless. I'm curious to find out the difference between the two and if my GTI can be updated/flashed with DSG software found in the newer GLI's (and possibly the upcoming GTIs). I think i would be contempt with such an 'upgrade', at least for my personal DD preference. That is what it comes down to in the end, isn't it? BTW...that thing sounds beautiful, somewhat exotic to a microscopic level.

I've had 3 DSG equipped cars, there seems to be a lot of variation from transmission to transmission. My brothers 06 is smoother than my 2011. Some are just better than others in terms of smoothness, luck of the draw. But it does some that VW has been refining the software/hardware and the tranmission continues to operate more like a good slush box in terms of smoothness without the slow shifting, power robbing, easy to break when modded downsides.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
Hmm...intersting. I was thinking something along the lines that these DSGs possibly deteriorate some of funtionality/efficiency with age/abuse.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Hi guys.
Thanks for the inputs. Didn't want to start a thread on if it's worth it or not.
This was to get info on it. Is it nesserserly or only practical and more dynamically gear changes.
I also don't need higher revs or kick down disable. But I like the idea of having the shifts more adjusted to the tune curves.

My consern was since the stock DSG sw only limit 350nm. This made me think if the new sw had a higher torque limit let say 500nm. Would I then get 150nm of disabled reserve.
This would defenatly bring out my smile again. Until the new APR sw upgrad...

Thanks

kevin963

i have apr stage 1 and uni stage 2 dsg… worth the money… uni stage 2 because it increases the revs and removed the kick down… i have more control of the car now…

this is why from the uni site

Engineered with Strict Industry Standards
Extensively Tested Under Various Driving Conditions
Optimized Responsiveness and Drivability
Optimized Smoothness and Driving Comfort
Rpm Limiter Increased to 7000
Launch Control Increased to 4000
Optimized "D" and "Sport Mode
Kick Downs Removed
NM Limit Increased by 150NM
Automatic Downshifting upon deceleration

Wanted to revive this forum for something else. You're one of the few who have tunes from two different companies (APR ECU Tune, and UNI DSG tune.)

Did you feel that the Unitronics DSG tune mated well with the APR tune? How has it been the past couple years?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I have a Eurodyne Stage 2 file and a "Reflect Tuning" DSG tune. Guy from the Netherlands ships you the cable and he remote tunes it. Super cheap and I love the tune, never had any issues. Driveability in D is so much better I would have no issue getting different company tunes for DSG and ECU again.

MALINO11

I cannot speak for APR but when I went stage 3 REVO K04, I immediately got the REVO stage 2 KO4
DSG tune to go with it. From my experience D mode is pretty much the same. It really shines when in S mode or manual. The shifts at WOT are MUCH more crisp. Before when I was stage 2 the DSG would lag slightly between shifts while 80% throttle or more. I'm assuming it was the factory torque limits set for the DSG. In my opinion if you are going KO4 or any other turbo upgrade a tranny flash is a must. The car is smoother and the tune compliments the extra power increase nicely.

zrickety

The Fixer
I will disagree...in my K04 experience, the DSG is a monster in factory Sport mode. Overkill I would say. But I use manual mode exclusively, using the paddles or bumping the shifter to keep it in the power band. I do this daily driving and at the track. Never felt a need for a transmission tune.