GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P1335/17743/P0606 Limp Mode EPC - Engine Torque Monitor 2: Control Limit Exceed

jeez

Ready to race!
So I've pretty much had it with this code sending my car into limp mode under acceleration as it's extremely dangerous when other cars are around. I wanted to start this thread to consolidate info about this issue, because I see various threads with multiple people being affected...but I want to find out what we all have in common. So, please post here if are currently getting P1335 using VAG-COM (shows as P0606 in Cobb Accessport). I'd like to know what turbo you are running, what tune, and what mods...specifically the wastegate. P1335 is the only code I'm throwing.

I'm HPA K04/Stratified ProTune/Forge WGA/S3 IC/AWE TOP.

I'm trying to figure out what on earth is causing this. Some people say it's the turbo that's leaky in certain parts (v-band clamp at outlet), others say it's the tune. I've changed intake, PCV, DV, triple checked for leaks at shops...and everything points to a healthy car, except this damn limp mode. It happens at part or full throttle at high gears and low RPM. Classic and most usual case is I'm in 5th, 2000 RPM, floor it or almost floor it, then car goes limp between 2.5k and 3.5k RPM. If it doesn't happen the first it will definitely happen within 3 tries when I do this. It is worth noting that when I try to do this above 4k RPM I haven't been able to.

So let's gather up and figure out what we have in common, then that will hopefully shed light on the issue. Members that I have seen get this code besides me (not sure if they still are):

lleron
Stock-GTI
Madhav
zef
Jerseynoob

For what it's worth the car pulls hard but I can't really enjoy it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jeez

Ready to race!
How long have you had this issue, since the turbo install?

Ever since an update to my tune, BUT that was within 2 months after the turbo install and after the replacing of the wastegate. And really the update may have just made the tune more sensitive to leaks which may have been pre-existing, I'm just not sure. I will blame the tune last, to be honest. I do have this whining sound ever since the install of the AWE S3 IC and TOP, but we've double checked everything more than enough times. There's no leaks, apparently. The shops say the turbo/efficiency pipe combination could be producing the sound (i.e. boost harmonics). No leaks found.

So, since there's a bunch of other people throwing this code, I thought that we must all have something in common. Whether that's a really small boost leak that the tune is sensitive to, the HPA K04, the Stratified tune, any other mod or a combination of any mods that I have with the tune, I don't know. This is why I need input from others. If, eg, we're all Stratified tuned, we all have a Forge wastegate and we all have an HPA K04, we'll be able to narrow it down to what the culprit may be. The fact that there's more than a few people experiencing this would indicate something we all have in common is to blame. Question is, is it one thing or a combination of things? And what exactly are those things.

For example, you. You've had this code, correct? Did you ever manage to fix it? What was the issue and solution?

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
How many shops have you taken it to?

For me, the place that installed my IC couldn't find the boost leak after their installation, which another place found. Fast forward a few years and a third place found all sorts of leaks with intake piping between the turbo and IC.

One forum member somewhere mention the actual turbo itself had a leak.

Maybe find a new place and get a smoke test done.

Oh, and check the rear main seal, they can blow out cause reasons for nothing more than just because.

jeez

Ready to race!
How many shops have you taken it to?

For me, the place that installed my IC couldn't find the boost leak after their installation, which another place found. Fast forward a few years and a third place found all sorts of leaks with intake piping between the turbo and IC.

One forum member somewhere mention the actual turbo itself had a leak.

Maybe find a new place and get a smoke test done.

Oh, and check the rear main seal, they can blow out cause reasons for nothing more than just because.

2 places. So your P1335 is 100% fixed due to a 3rd shop finding a leak the other 2 didn't? And the culprit was a leak somewhere along the piping between the turbo and IC?

Frankenmk6

Mine was caused by a leak. Fixed the leak, and it went away totally. I can't say that's the only reason but it was the reason for me. I have an F23 and tuned by stratified, though I really don't think it was the tune

jeez

Ready to race!
Mine was caused by a leak. Fixed the leak, and it went away totally. I can't say that's the only reason but it was the reason for me. I have an F23 and tuned by stratified, though I really don't think it was the tune

So it's fully gone - was P1335 the only code you were getting? Do you have the stock WGA?

whats your STFT and LTFT in engine block 32 of vcds say? have you tried running it with maf disconnected?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17743/P1335

I have not, but that won't matter if I have a leak. Have you seen people that were getting P1335 because of fuel trims?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I have not, but that won't matter if I have a leak. Have you seen people that were getting P1335 because of fuel trims?

I believe the question about fuel trims and MAF is because they are dead giveaways of a leak.
If you have a leak fuel trims will be off. And also if you have a leak and unplug the MAF it generally smooths things out, but you'll run crazy rich.

I did this back when I had the trouble code, and never got limp mode with my MAF unplugged. Caused a new set of issues though.

jeez

Ready to race!
I believe the question about fuel trims and MAF is because they are dead giveaways of a leak.
If you have a leak fuel trims will be off. And also if you have a leak and unplug the MAF it generally smooths things out, but you'll run crazy rich.

I did this back when I had the trouble code, and never got limp mode with my MAF unplugged. Caused a new set of issues though.

Oh ok. I will pay attention to them via the AP next time but isn't that why we send logs to the tuner lol.

So am I looking at LTFT/STFT? What values should they be between?

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
2 places. So your P1335 is 100% fixed due to a 3rd shop finding a leak the other 2 didn't? And the culprit was a leak somewhere along the piping between the turbo and IC?

Correct.

Leaks between the turbo and the pancake pipe.

Have you tested for a vacuum leak?

jeez

Ready to race!
Correct.

Leaks between the turbo and the pancake pipe.

Have you tested for a vacuum leak?

I told the shop to check for boost/vacuum leaks. They told me it's essentially the same thing?? If you have a vacuum leak you'll have a boost leak. And they said no boost leaks ergo....no vacuum leaks.

What specific bit was broken/cracked/missing-a-ring for you? I have the awe TOP so no more pancake. I've checked the hoses myself on top of the 2 shops. Idk what else it could be...maybe some small crack that I can't see. But shouldn't' the damn shops be able to find those out. I'm just hoping it's not the turbo itself.

Remind me - you had a TOP leak, correct? And after that no more limp mode?

Thanks guys.

See, it's this shit that I'm trying to find out from other people. There's others that would blame the tune, but now I have you 2 saying they've had the code and it was a leak....I'm thinking that maybe it's really hard for shops to find boost leaks, especially small ones, and that makes people think it's the tune. I find it hard to believe tuning companies don't know how to tune, lol. So maybe one company's tune is more sensitive to leaks than another's. Which, if true, is fine with me cause I want to know if I'm leaking boost.

So I see 2 possibilities: either my tune is not up to par, or I have a ghost leak somewhere that shops can't find. :/ I'm proceeding with the assumption that I'm leaking. Will check LTFT/STFT and report.

Last edited:

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah mine was a TOP leak, fixed that and have been good since.

Not overwhelmed by my stratified tune, it pulls like crazy but driveability is ok. Concerned about a boost spike atm. Still not done tuning due to setbacks. Gonna get a dsg tune and get a local dyno tune in the spring after I install a WMI system.

I personally still think it's a hardware issue and not the tune, but who knows. Did you have any issues early on during tuning that might have thrown something off permanently? Changed mods? Mechanical problems?

jeez

Ready to race!

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
So my fuel trims seem fine. They both stay close to 1.00 at all times. Better yet, I have a full log of limp mode happening from a pull earlier in the year. Car is 100% the same since hardware wise.

https://datazap.me/u/jeez/log-1536966178?log=0&data=4-21

Really might just be the tune then. Really weird, crazy. You have better fuel trims than I do, my tune isn't done and I need a maf recalibration.

Might need to tell stratified to rebuild your tune.

Last edited: