GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A reason to consider timing chain replacement also, if you want to update tensioner

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yes it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the balance shaft chain while you're in there, but if it makes you feel better I've never seen any issues with the BS chains or guides on this engine after doing exhaustive research online. This been a bunch of people who have had the actual balance shafts fail though.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I don't know about you, but after my timing job I was a huge pansy when it came to the first start! Took a few minutes to work myself up to turning the key knowing I could have just made a $3k+ mistake!

I don't blame you! There's really only two things I'm squeamish about when working on cars: suspension and timing components.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Well, I ended up leaving it to the shop's best judgement, so we just replaced the tensioner, upper chain and guides. The cam bridge screen had blown out, so they replaced the cam bridge and also the cam adjuster valve.

Cost me a bunch of money, but at least it's done. It was nice to see the Block 93 cam phase angle go from -3.83 to -0.13 with the new chain. Should be good for another 7 years and 150,000 km!

hoesty

Well, I ended up leaving it to the shop's best judgement, so we just replaced the tensioner, upper chain and guides. The cam bridge screen had blown out, so they replaced the cam bridge and also the cam adjuster valve.

Cost me a bunch of money, but at least it's done. It was nice to see the Block 93 cam phase angle go from -3.83 to -0.13 with the new chain. Should be good for another 7 years and 150,000 km!

hey mate what KM's did you change your timing chain? I'm at -3.74 with 126,000km - 2012 model!

hoesty

It was at 145,000 km when I had it done.

I’m at 168,000 km now and everything’s been fine.

nice, 145k kms with the old tensioner was a good run for you

mine has new tensioner fitted....hope i'll be good for up to 150k kms before i see -4.0 deg

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Having just seen this, I whole-heartily agree with the OP. If you are going to be pulling the crank pulley and lower timing cover off to replace the lower tensioner it really isn't that much more work and $$ to pull the upper cover off and do the whole sheybang, meaning guides, rails, chain and even the balance shaft & oil pump chain and tensioner. I did this at 80k on my 2010 GTI purely for piece of mind/preventative maintenance. I even went to the extent of replacing the cam-bridge with the most recent revision to prevent the screen issue, although I wouldn't recommend doing this. Reason why? At 118k I ran into a boost leak which ended up being a broken exh manifold stud in the head which forced me to pull the head. When I pulled off the cam bridge; which was the supposed newer revision design at the time and had lower mileage than my OEM unit, the screen was broken off and lodged in the exh cam oil galley in the head. Luckily it was intact and I'll be reinstalling the same cam bridge but with the screen completely removed.