GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which tools do I need for coil packs and plugs?

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
I'm in a weird situation where all of my tools are several hours away. Unfortunately my 2010 GTI needs a tune up. I just ordered the red audi packs and plugs. I need to run to HF (I know I know) to grab everything I'll need to do the job which should prove fun with my broken arm! [emoji14]

Thanks for the help guys. Really looking forward to my baby running well again!

2010 GTI 6mt, Autobahn, APR Stage 1 tune, Freakishly Clean

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
You don't need anything for the coilpacks except your fingers to pull them out. For the plugs, just get a 5/8 spark plug socket and a 10 inch extension.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I’d also recommend a torque wrench. A cheap one is fine. Reason is you want to be careful with the threads in the aluminum head.

Uberryan

Banned
get two long zipties, and sinch them down about half way. Take one and loop it around the front of the coil pack, and take the other and loop it around the backside, with the harness disconnected of course, and pull up.

Don't tighten it down or anything, since you'll need to use it for the other 3. Works like a charm.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I ended up purchasing a magnetic spark plug socket. I don't know if it was necessary or not, but it made my life easier as my grommet in my old spark plug socket dry rotted.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Thanks very much guys. I grabbed everything I need to do the job including zip ties and a tq wrench.

How accurate will the torque wrench be with a 1/2-5/8ths adapter and 10" extension?

I can easily search for it, but does anyone know off hand how many ft lbs the plugs call for?

God, everything physical sucks with this stupid broken bone. :(

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Using an extension will not change the torque reading of your wrench. Google tells me 25 Nm or 18 Ft Lb.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Using an extension will not change the torque reading of your wrench. Google tells me 25 Nm or 18 Ft Lb.
Thanks bud. I watched a couple of YouTube videos last night that included the specs and tools needed. Duh. One of them from the vendor I purchased the parts from.

On a side note I grabbed all the shit I need for an oil change last night with the intention of doing the job today. I forgot ramps and don't have a curb to put my car on. The cast from my armpit to my fingers gave me pause too. I can't wash it so I hate the idea of getting it dirty. Screw it. I'll just pay the $120 to have it changed. :(

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I think calling off the oil change is not a bad idea. You'd be pissed if that oil ran into your cast.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
One universal tip for spark plug replacement is to get the recess clean before you pull the plugs. This keeps any dirt from falling into the cylinders when you pull the plugs. I usually pull the coilpacks and then shoot some compressed air down onto the top of the plugs but using a vacuum should work fine too. At the very minimum look down at the top of the plugs to make sure there isn't a bunch of crap that will fall into your cylinders.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the info and install tips!

There have been a couple of times when I've cursed German engineering, I'm not gonna lie, but that was one of the easiest maintenance tasks I've ever done, especially coming from a sc'd 5.4l Ford v8.

Job done (mostly, I'll explain), but I'm still getting misfires from a couple of cylinders. I hate to admit it but I didn't have a gap tool so I eyeballed the plugs (I know I know) as they came and they all looked evenly spaced, but obviously I couldn't know if the plugs were gapped in range. I'm moving right now and have zero time (I'm writing while I'm eating), but I'm curious if a slight gap error could be causing my problem. The car is running far far better than it had been.

If not the gap what else should I check and in which order.

Thanks guys!

OhioMK6

Ready to race!