GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Do you still run the PCV? That's where it makes a huge difference. With the IE valve cover especially as the opening is much bigger so there's way more vapor running through all the time not just when your on the gas. I was losing about a quart every 2k miles and that was going straight into the intake as vapor.
Yes I still use PCV, I found the Catch Can a pain, so no more.

When I was making my Home Depot Catch Can, I read this Article.

This Article is similar to your setup.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Installed a Spullen dogbone mount with street insert today. Like the smoother shifting, hate the vibration. Vibration + SRI at idle is loud as hell. While driving sound and vibration are no different but at idle I am not a fan. I'll see if it gets better after a bit.

It won't get better, it will probably get worst, I have been driving with it for about a year, maybe more and removed it a month ago because the vibration got so bad people would get annoyed and I couldn't endure it anymore, put back a brand new OEM one with hardware and I'm so happy to don't have it anymore. If I would have to go back, I would get the 034Motorsport, better design

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
It won't get better, it will probably get worst, I have been driving with it for about a year, maybe more and removed it a month ago because the vibration got so bad people would get annoyed and I couldn't endure it anymore, put back a brand new OEM one with hardware and I'm so happy to don't have it anymore. If I would have to go back, I would get the 034Motorsport, better design

Ya, it actually has mellowed after a bit of driving buy I still hate it. I actually ordered the 034 insert and was going to swap the insert out and leave the spullen dogbone on and see how that feels. I had heard the 034 insert is way less NVH when compared to the poly insert but heard the dogbone should be upgraded for fear of it breaking. There is no way in hell I am leaving it the way it is. It's not worth dropping $230 on the 034 dogbone as it is very similar in design to the spullen. Basically the same thing but with a bearing instead of a bushing. If it's still bad I'll go back to stock and give the mount to my buddy. I have a dieselgeek short shifter on the way as well.

Edit: I hadn't realized that the billet mounts and the poly mounts don't operate on the same principles so I thought the billet mount would be much harsher than the poly mount when in fact it is the opposite.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...dvp3/i_did_a_stock_vs_billet_vs_polyurethane/

Here is a good write up on it.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Installed a dieselgeek short shifter this morning. LOVE IT. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the Spullen poly dogbone insert and put in a 034 billet insert and see if the vibration at idle is improved.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
No. Just put the trans in the home position and lock the stick shift with the included little rod. It's a little notchy but shifts well and I hear it will smooth out more as it wears in. Drove up to my Mom's for Thanksgiving and really like the much tighter feel and shorter throw. I would have done this sooner but didn't think they made one for the 5 speed.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
No. Just put the trans in the home position and lock the stick shift with the included little rod. It's a little notchy but shifts well and I hear it will smooth out more as it wears in. Drove up to my Mom's for Thanksgiving and really like the much tighter feel and shorter throw. I would have done this sooner but didn't think they made one for the 5 speed.
Great find, :w00t: you should post up a link to this tranny mod for the 2.5.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Swapped out the Spullen dogbone insert for the 034 metal insert today. Night and day difference. I'm still using the Spullen dogbone and there is no change in sound/vibration from stock with the 034.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Swapped out the Spullen dogbone insert for the 034 metal insert today. Night and day difference. I'm still using the Spullen dogbone and there is no change in sound/vibration from stock with the 034.
I use a plastic one from ECS, didn't make the mistake of going full stiff like all the kids here, there is a reason that VW/Audi design flexibility into the driveline even in their higher level sports cars.

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Noob post here, what does the dogbone insert do in terms of performance for the car? I'm reading posts that say shifting feels better, tighter, etc. But what does that translate into exactly?

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
I'm a slush box with the 034 billet insert and it was the best $70(Canadian) I spent on the car. The shifts are far smoother and have a much more connected feel to the drivetrain.