GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unofficial APR Stage 2 Thread- All Things APR Stage 2 Related

mkstan15

Ready to race!
Stage 2 installed yesterday and I'm loving it. Feels significantly stronger and the throttle lag is gone with the wind. I was driving a beat nissan versa for three weeks b4 i got tuned so this thing feels like a beast. Went from stock, to nissan versa (while new ECU was installed), to stage 2. Can't wait for this rain to let up so I can get in some pulls on the highway.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Stage 2 installed yesterday and I'm loving it. Feels significantly stronger and the throttle lag is gone with the wind. I was driving a beat nissan versa for three weeks b4 i got tuned so this thing feels like a beast. Went from stock, to nissan versa (while new ECU was installed), to stage 2. Can't wait for this rain to let up so I can get in some pulls on the highway.

ha ..I know all this effin rain is killing me. Stage 2 gets dangerous in the rain when ur not used to it.

Nicoo..

Ready to race!
everyone talking about stage 2 having a smoother power delivery and less torque down low than stage 1... does this mean that stage 2 reduces wheelspin in low gears a bit ?(compared to stage 1?)

allset

Go Kart Champion
everyone talking about stage 2 having a smoother power delivery and less torque down low than stage 1... does this mean that stage 2 reduces wheelspin in low gears a bit ?(compared to stage 1?)

funny u mention that. i justed noticed that yesterday. I have an AT insert but there is def less spin in 2. More gears spin 1,2 & 3 but is not all the time. its more like a chirp on steroids.

allset

Go Kart Champion

the less torque down low was fixed with v2.1 theres plenty there it just delivered with less "pop" but it makes up for it in every other gear. Get it u will love it. U can smoke a whole new class of cars too, if ur into that.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Awesome!

No problem at all!

It's incredibly smooth!

There's always power day/night!:thumbup:

NIIIIEEEECCCEEEE:w00t::w00t:

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
Going Stage 2 as soon as I figure out which TBE i want...its a hard choice.

dwp2

Ready to race!
I'm all APR right now and no surprise, but Stage II > Stage I. Moving from just the Stage I flash to adding the intake, I noticed a boost in performance and drivability. After adding the TBE with the Stage 2 V1.2 flash, IMO drives even better and is faster. :23:

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
Stage 2 today my review

Unlike what most people have been saying how stage 2 looses low end torque and every thing being smother, i'm half way on that. I have to disagree with most people saying that stage 2 doesn't have the same "grunt" down low compared to stage 1. I beg to differ. from 25mph and slower, whenever I gun it the car pulls crazy fast and the best part it does it so effortlessly and smoothly at the same time. I notice the acceleration has definately increased. It revs much easier now with my added downpipe. I also did many 40mph pulls and I found an open road and tried to do my best to see how the new "top-end" pull would be like. Yes it is faster but it's also a very "smooth" faster. The car does feel fast but you don't realize how fast you are really going. Stage 1 I would normally hit 120mph after gunning it from 40mph for a while, with stage 2 the same 40mph pull and in the same time I would normally hold from stage 1 I was able to hit 135mph. Big surprise for me and i'm loving it. It's crazy how such a small engine combined with a tiny turbo is able to pull so hard and reach top speeds well above 100mph fairly easily. Overal i'm very satisfied with my upgrade going to stage 2 and would recommend it to anyone on the fence on deciding on whether or not to do it.

Nicoo..

Ready to race!
the less torque down low was fixed with v2.1 theres plenty there it just delivered with less "pop" but it makes up for it in every other gear. Get it u will love it. U can smoke a whole new class of cars too, if ur into that.

Unlike what most people have been saying how stage 2 looses low end torque and every thing being smother, i'm half way on that. I have to disagree with most people saying that stage 2 doesn't have the same "grunt" down low compared to stage 1. I beg to differ. from 25mph and slower, whenever I gun it the car pulls crazy fast and the best part it does it so effortlessly and smoothly at the same time. I notice the acceleration has definately increased. It revs much easier now with my added downpipe. I also did many 40mph pulls and I found an open road and tried to do my best to see how the new "top-end" pull would be like. Yes it is faster but it's also a very "smooth" faster. The car does feel fast but you don't realize how fast you are really going. Stage 1 I would normally hit 120mph after gunning it from 40mph for a while, with stage 2 the same 40mph pull and in the same time I would normally hold from stage 1 I was able to hit 135mph. Big surprise for me and i'm loving it. It's crazy how such a small engine combined with a tiny turbo is able to pull so hard and reach top speeds well above 100mph fairly easily. Overal i'm very satisfied with my upgrade going to stage 2 and would recommend it to anyone on the fence on deciding on whether or not to do it.

so bottom line:
stage 2 down low torque roughly equals stage 1 down low? that means the same amount of wheelspin in first and second at low revs..
stage 2 has power up high whereas stage 1 dies after 5k 5.5 k rpm...
because stage 2 has some torque at low revs and also at high revs it feels like it is smoother because it keeps pulling whereas stage 1 will "bite" you at first and pull you until mid-high rpm and then nothing which makes it feel like power is delivered unevenly throughout the rev range..

mmm well i would be interested in going stage 2, but i just dont understand the thing about DPs.. if AWE makes a 2.5" one, then why cant we just de-cat and go stage 2 :S .. it's not a financial problem for me.. its just that i dont mind loud, as long as it's a NICE loud.. but our four bangers dont seem to sound very nice no matter what.. and i dont wanna end up having an exhaust note like on the ricer golf 1, 2 and 3s with straight pipes we have here..

edit: so id prefer sticking with the stock dp or the awe one..
:)

Last edited:

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I don't know what wheel spin you guys are talking about, you should not floor it in first gear, just go on it half way and then all the way by the end of first, very little wheel spin.

Launching is another story though, but i have improving very quickly that i am learning pedal modulation :)

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
I hate when people get into this low end torque discussion, it is pretty bad info in a lot of cases

Stage 2 makes more torque, but it has a more linear curve on the low end than stage 1...stage 1 has a mini torque spike which is what will make you lose traction in 1st gear...stage 2 will lose traction from the massive amount of torque from maxing out the tiny little turbo