GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buyer's Remorse

XZT123

Ready to race!
The R is 10k more, heavier, there's no DSG (if you want it), it has the older FSI engine which has more problems

anyway, it's nice but I got a GTI... sure I'll probably dump a bunch of money into my GTI where I could have had an R for the same price, but I wanted the DSG, and if I had an R I'd still dump more cash into it and spend even more.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I never would have paid money for the climatronic, but now that I have it I can't imagine owning another car without it. Especially the dual zone, great for keeping the wife and me from having to agree on a temperature.

My wife and I don't agree much on shit anyway, so that's a non-issue for me :lol: :lol::lol:

I'll see how i like this function in the new car and see whats what.

C4L

Banned
The R is 10k more, heavier, there's no DSG (if you want it), it has the older FSI engine which has more problems

anyway, it's nice but I got a GTI... sure I'll probably dump a bunch of money into my GTI where I could have had an R for the same price, but I wanted the DSG, and if I had an R I'd still dump more cash into it and spend even more.

Really the R is only about $4k-$5k more since it comes pretty much loaded. But I do agree with you.

I know if I had $35k to spend on a car and wanted something similar to the R, I would go with an A3 and modify it. $32k would do just fine for me in a new A3 Quattro and JUST Stage 1 will get it to Golf R numbers...

I don't think the Golf R is a very good car FOR THE MONEY at all personally.

Or this...
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=200&maxPrice=35000&listingId=322865819&Log=0

XZT123

Ready to race!
One conidition of me upgrading to the GTI over my previous car was that my wife could drive it. It was a manual, so I wanted the DSG for that and because it's cool.

edit: and oh yeah it would have been 10k+ for me because I bought a 1 year old fully loaded autobahn for more than 10k less. The golf R was 2012 and basically only had chance to get a new one... so it was more like more than 10k for the R over a 1 year old GTI.

C4L

Banned
One conidition of me upgrading to the GTI over my previous car was that my wife could drive it. It was a manual, so I wanted the DSG for that and because it's cool.

edit: and oh yeah it would have been 10k+ for me because I bought a 1 year old fully loaded autobahn for more than 10k less. The golf R was 2012 and basically only had chance to get a new one... so it was more like more than 10k for the R over a 1 year old GTI.

Makes sense.:w00t:

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion

I could not agree with you more.

pjs_tools

Go for the R, although you will lose a bit of money. We bought our GTI in Spring 2011, all the time asking about the rumours of an R coming to the States. Bought the GTI anyway - old Honda was failing - and loved the GTI. In April 2012 bought the R and traded in the GTI. Gloriously happy with AWD and 6 speed (and climate control!), but ew got ripped off on the trade in value. Recommend you sell your GTI private market, or you may get burned too. Would do it all again!

Nikko-AZNY

I dealt with the same issue..had a 2010 for 11 months..traded for a 2011..had that for 11 months...traded for a 2012..considered the R but didnt for 2 reasons: 1. 10k premium was hard to justify, especially when you can just APR chip stage 1 for essentially the same performance (minus the AWD). 2 reason: I live in Phoenix where the temp reached 115 in the summer. I dont want leather which is the ONLY option available. In the end, the R is a pretty nasty car...but not for 35k out the door. Keep the 2.0T and enjoy it. A read A LOT of reviews on the APR stage 1 and no one has an issue with the too much power to the FW's. Getting to 250hp for $600 makes the R not really worth it...unless you want the exclusivity of having an R.

Ethereal

Ready to race!
I dealt with the same issue..had a 2010 for 11 months..traded for a 2011..had that for 11 months...traded for a 2012..considered the R but didnt for 2 reasons: 1. 10k premium was hard to justify, especially when you can just APR chip stage 1 for essentially the same performance (minus the AWD). 2 reason: I live in Phoenix where the temp reached 115 in the summer. I dont want leather which is the ONLY option available. In the end, the R is a pretty nasty car...but not for 35k out the door. Keep the 2.0T and enjoy it. A read A LOT of reviews on the APR stage 1 and no one has an issue with the too much power to the FW's. Getting to 250hp for $600 makes the R not really worth it...unless you want the exclusivity of having an R.

why would you go from a 2010 to a 2011 to a 2012? all gti's???

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
^^^^^^I was wondering the same thing. Wouldn't one lose quite a bit of money in depreciation by doing so? I would think that lost money could have been the difference between a GTI and an R.

iLLPANDA

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds very similar to my situation, although I am happy with my purchase. Being that my previous cars were a 2006 Evo IX, and 2011 STi, I thought I couldn't live with FWD. I was inches from ordering a 2012 Golf R, but when I seen the price difference, and drove both cars, I was completely satisfied with the 2012 GTI. HID, Sunroof, and Navi all for under $30K OTD....my decision was easy with no buyers remorse. But, I would have to agree with most of the replies here, if your gonna feel regret, I would definitely make the jump on the R. GL!!

sick_visions

Ready to race!
Do what I did and buy both :D