GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock clutch failure, no tune, RSR replacement?? Need help/advice (SF Bay Area)

imhongry

Here's what is happening:

2012 GTI, 6-spd, 41k miles

Mods:
1. Dieselgeek SS
2. Cut shifter shaft slightly
3. Weighted shift knob

Thought Process:
1. Able to shift normally when engine is off >> not a short-shifter or gearbox issue
2. Unable to shift into or out of gear when engine is running >> clutch-related
3. Shifting into a gear with engine off and then starting the car, I am able to drive normally in the selected gear. Clutch feel and engagement is normal.

Diagnosis: I'm thinking it might be a clutch spring issue or something.

Story so far:
1. Took it to the dealer because I assumed that this issue would be covered under the 60k powertrain warranty.
2. Dealership (Capitol VW, San Jose, CA) told me it is not covered under powertrain warranty.
3. Dealership told me that they would need to replace the entire clutch assembly (clutch kit, flywheel, TOB). Estimate is ~$900 labor, ~$1300 parts, minus 15% coupon, which would total ~$1900.
4. Dealership also found an oil leak that is covered under warranty.
5. Left the car at dealership overnight to fix oil leak.
6. Called around for estimates on clutch replacements. Cheapest estimate I got was ~$800 labor from 034 Motorsports. >> not sure if worth towing the car there to save $100
7. No local shops seem to have an aftermarket clutch in stock. I would have to order one and wait anywhere between 1-3 weeks.

Options:
1. Have dealership install OEM clutch
2. Tow the car to another shop and have them install an aftermarket clutch (I've been thinking of going for an RSR anyway in preparation for a tune).
3. Order aftermarket clutch and have the dealership install it (they said they can do that, but will not be able to warranty that work)

Questions/worries:
1. Do you think the dealership will do a decent job of installing an aftermarket clutch?
2. Does they have to remove the DG SS for the clutch install process? Do you think they will know how to uninstall/reinstall it?
3. This is my daily driver and only car. If I order an RSR clutch kit, how long does it take to receive it? I've seen that it takes 2-3 weeks when they have their big sales, but there's no sale right now. Does anyone with experience buying one have any feedback on this?
4. I'm paying $25/day for a rental. I really don't want to rent a car for 2-3 weeks...

I think I've provided all the info that I have. Any and all feedback/advice is very, very much appreciated. Also, feel free to make fun of me for wrecking my clutch after only 40k on stock ECU (really not sure how it happened though, I drive pretty conservatively 95% of the time).

Why is dealership saying its not covered under warranty? Its been a common failure (pressure plate spring) to fail. Happened in my '13 GLI with 13k miles

I would call VWoA and make a complaint / case

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Keep in mind that if you decide to go RSR, it does not come with a flywheel. I don't know what kind of wear you can expect on the original flywheel, but I'm guessing most would advise replacing it as well.

I imagine the dealership will install an aftermarket clutch just fine. A clutch is a clutch is a clutch.

It will probably take some time to get an RSR clutch no matter how you look at it, but it wouldn't hurt to call HS and tell them your situation. Maybe they can expedite the process somehow. If not then finding a shop around that may have an aftermarket clutch in stock may be your best bet. Idk if shops do that, but they might have a stage 2 south bend hanging out or ask 034 if they have something in stock.

If you plan on add hp and trq to the vehicle then you are going to need a stronger clutch than stock, so slapping a stock clutch back in isn't going to be cost effective.

imhongry

They didn't specify that it was a pressure plate spring. That was just my personal guess. They basically just told me that they have to replace the entire assembly. Do you think they're intentionally misleading me, because I have a little of that feeling.

imhongry

Keep in mind that if you decide to go RSR, it does not come with a flywheel. I don't know what kind of wear you can expect on the original flywheel, but I'm guessing most would advise replacing it as well.

I imagine the dealership will install an aftermarket clutch just fine. A clutch is a clutch is a clutch.

It will probably take some time to get an RSR clutch no matter how you look at it, but it wouldn't hurt to call HS and tell them your situation. Maybe they can expedite the process somehow. If not then finding a shop around that may have an aftermarket clutch in stock may be your best bet. Idk if shops do that, but they might have a stage 2 south bend hanging out or ask 034 if they have something in stock.

If you plan on add hp and trq to the vehicle then you are going to need a stronger clutch than stock, so slapping a stock clutch back in isn't going to be cost effective.

1. Yep, I am considering that I might also need to have them install a new flywheel, which is probably another $400 for the part. But at least the dealership has it in stock.
2. Good idea, I'll try calling HS tomorrow when they're customer service is open.
3. 034 said they don't stock clutches and that it would take 2-3 weeks to receive an order. Tried calling Precision Motorworks. They took my number and said they would call me back as they were helping a couple other customers. They never called me back.
4. Yea, I figured I might as well do the RSR now, since I'm being forced into it anyway.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
It's more than you're looking for - but I have a complete SB Stage 3 daily kit for sale - pressure plate, disc, fly wheel, and throw out bearing.

If you're in a jam and need something fast, I can ship as soon as tomorrow.

Link/details in my signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
They didn't specify that it was a pressure plate spring. That was just my personal guess. They basically just told me that they have to replace the entire assembly. Do you think they're intentionally misleading me, because I have a little of that feeling.

Don't replace the flywheel - it's totally unnecessary. These are extremely stout parts and the stock PP and organic plate are not going to hurt it. ESPECIALLY if you were just having some engagement issues. The dealer wants to replace the flywheel because they're taking it off to address your leaky rear mains seal anyways and they make a little cash for replacing parts.

Is it worth upgrading the clutch anyways? Yes. I would recommend the RSR for an OEM-like upgrade. Any upgraded clutch is a great performance upgrade on its own, stock power or not. It really lets you take control of the engine. The RSR itself is a clutch that feels like it would come in any factory spec car, albeit with much better clamping power.

At that, I think the dealer would be able to install an RSR just fine, as long as they're willing. They are, after all, OEM VW/Audi parts.

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
Don't replace the flywheel - it's totally unnecessary. These are extremely stout parts and the stock PP and organic plate are not going to hurt it. ESPECIALLY if you were just having some engagement issues. The dealer wants to replace the flywheel because they're taking it off to address your leaky rear mains seal anyways and they make a little cash for replacing parts.

Is it worth upgrading the clutch anyways? Yes. I would recommend the RSR for an OEM-like upgrade. Any upgraded clutch is a great performance upgrade on its own, stock power or not. It really lets you take control of the engine. The RSR itself is a clutch that feels like it would come in any factory spec car, albeit with much better clamping power.

At that, I think the dealer would be able to install an RSR just fine, as long as they're willing. They are, after all, OEM VW/Audi parts.

Perfectly explained!!

No need to replace the flywheel. I had my clutch upgraded at 37K miles and the flywheel was in perfect condition. RSR would be the best upgrade for around $1200 if I'm not mistaken from HS Tuning. I went ahead and pieced out my RSR clutch which took about two weeks to arrive and only paid less than $670. But piecing out the clutch will require a little modification by drilling holes on the plate to mate with the OEM flywheel which the tuning shops are familiar with. Although my dealer wouldn't have any problems had they done the install. Just get the RSR from HS Tuning and be done with it or piece out the RSR and save money for less than $700. Like what OP said the RSR clutch are OEM parts for Audi/VW.

imhongry

Perfectly explained!!

No need to replace the flywheel. I had my clutch upgraded at 37K miles and the flywheel was in perfect condition. RSR would be the best upgrade for around $1200 if I'm not mistaken from HS Tuning. I went ahead and pieced out my RSR clutch which took about two weeks to arrive and only paid less than $670. But piecing out the clutch will require a little modification by drilling holes on the plate to mate with the OEM flywheel which the tuning shops are familiar with. Although my dealer wouldn't have any problems had they done the install. Just get the RSR from HS Tuning and be done with it or piece out the RSR and save money for less than $700. Like what OP said the RSR clutch are OEM parts for Audi/VW.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. You guys are awesome! You have no idea how stressed and frantic I was getting yesterday.

Update:
1. Once dealership finishes with fixing the oil leak, they are going to call me.
2. I will have car towed to nearby shop (Sprint Auto Works) who just gave me an unofficial quote of ~$1800 total for RSR, more if they need to resurface or purchase a new flywheel, which will be determined when they pop that baby open.
3. HS said they are receiving a shipment of clutch parts soon and should be able to ship them out Monday/Tuesday. Shipping takes about 4 days, so my car will be back to me in 2 weeks, maybe a little less.

Obviously I'm still not happy about my clutch going out and the dealership dodging the warranty, but maybe this is the push I needed to get that ECU done without worrying too much about other stuff.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Shit, after the clutch there's really 0 reliability concerns from a tune. Good luck with the new clutch. Come back with your impressions!

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Same situation for my 2012 but at only 15k miles or so if I remember correctly. They replaced the entire clutch assembly under warranty. Mileage may be a big factor here though so who knows. If you can limp the car around, check it out at another dealer maybe. If not, then wait for an RSR clutch kit and swap that in while the tranny is open. If you're willing to drive up to San Rafael, there's a board member who's VW tech trained with a very good rep and great prices for clutch installs. Worth it to at least PM him and ask for a quote. Then do the math and see where you should get it installed at

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/member.php?u=24053

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Same situation for my 2012 but at only 15k miles or so if I remember correctly. They replaced the entire clutch assembly under warranty. Mileage may be a big factor here though so who knows. If you can limp the car around, check it out at another dealer maybe. If not, then wait for an RSR clutch kit and swap that in while the tranny is open. If you're willing to drive up to San Rafael, there's a board member who's VW tech trained with a very good rep and great prices for clutch installs. Worth it to at least PM him and ask for a quote. Then do the math and see where you should get it installed at

NCampos does good work, he did my clutch in less than 3 hours at a very reasonable price. but he is closer to santa rosa around Rohnert Park area than San Rafael.

feel to join our FB group in my sig btw...ncampos is on there also =)

imhongry

NCampos does good work, he did my clutch in less than 3 hours at a very reasonable price. but he is closer to santa rosa around Rohnert Park area than San Rafael.

feel to join our FB group in my sig btw...ncampos is on there also =)

I'm in San Jose, so North Bay mechanics are much too far, infortunately.

I think I'm at the point now where I just want to swap the clutch out for the RSR, even though I MIGHT be able to find a dealership willing to warranty my stock clutch repair free of charge. Since my car is going to be out of my hands for 2 weeks, I might as well do the work that I've been too pansy to get done in the past.

Shit, after the clutch there's really 0 reliability concerns from a tune. Good luck with the new clutch. Come back with your impressions!

I already had my water pump replaced under warranty at around 35k. Not sure if a tune makes it more likely for that to happen again, but I'll definitely be crossing my fingers when I get there.

Also, just want to make sure. Does anyone disagree that this is a clutch/PP/TOB/etc. issue? I just want to be (close to) sure that it isn't something else (e.g. bad synchros).

imhongry

Update: After dealership fixed oil leak under warranty, I had the car towed to Sprint Auto Works (Wednesday the 15th). There, we ordered the RSR clutch and estimated that the car would be ready in about 2 weeks. This is because HS told me they would ship out the next set of RSR clutches on Monday (20th), and it would arrive around Friday (24th). Then they would work on it probably the following Monday and have it ready ASAP from there.

What actually happened is the part arrived on Tues/Wed (not sure exactly) and I picked up my car Wednesday (22nd) evening.

Props to the team at Sprint Auto Works.

The Issue: The pressure plate diaphragm snapped, so that side of the PP would not disengage properly. They also showed me and explained to me that everything else was fine/normal, including the clutch disk wear and the stock flywheel. They didn't need to resurface or replace the flywheel, so that kept the cost down a little. This leads me to believe that this issue was not due to me sucking at driving manual, and thus should've been covered under powertrain warranty (not wear-and-tear issue).

The Aftermath: Immediately, when I first drove off with the car, I stalled it. The clutch is so much heavier and feels so different (engagement was almost right above the stock clutch stop). I was expecting a stock-ish feel from all the reviews I read.

Currently, I have about 250 miles on the RSR and I am a lot more comfortable with it now. The engagement point shifted closer to where stock was, and it is not as heavy as it initially was. I'm sure I've also gotten used to the different feel on top of that.

I'm still worried about the chatter I'm getting on 1st gear engagement. I THINK it's slowly going away, but I'm not 100% sure if that's all in my mind. Anyway, I'm just glad to have my car back and now I can get that tune done without much worry once I get my savings back up.

:happyanim:

Last edited: