GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radiator Fans Running Full Speed Constantly

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
So why didn't take it to your local REVO tuner in the first place to diagnose it? They could have determined exactly what was wrong since you are out of warranty any ways and had you back on the road in a couple days for $80.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Seriously the mistake here is having the dealer do the reprogramming. Im having APR and an independent shop work on mine.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
If you brought them a part to install and they end up breaking that part plus your cluster why are you paying for their mistake? Shouldn't they be replacing the cluster and the ECU as the cost that they were going to charge to install the used ECU?

HoliMoli

I just had this exact problem with my car. Fans running full speed for no reason. took it to VW dealer located near me, they said my fan control module was defective. They offered to repair it for $900 parts and labor. I told them I will do it myself for $300. I installed them myself, and to my surprise it didn't fix the problem. Called the dealer back to reschedule another diagnostic. They took my car and spoke with the tech in Germany only to find out the ECM went bad. I asked the how much this was going to cost, and this specific part they told me was on warranty for 150,000 miles or 12 years. Dealer ordered me a new one and kept my car overnight just in case the ECM didn't screw anything else up. Part was installed, and car works like new again. Also the dealer apologized for the miss diagnose and refunded me my $100. Now I either need to uninstall the new fans I bought, or sell my other ones.

I am not sure if every ECM is covered under this 150,000 mile warranty, but so glad mine was. You should check with them to make sure.

Just a quick note. I didn't tune my car so maybe that's why they replaced it for free.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
I am not sure if every ECM is covered under this 150,000 mile warranty, but so glad mine was. You should check with them to make sure.

Just a quick note. I didn't tune my car so maybe that's why they replaced it for free.

The ECU and catalytic converters are covered under the federal emission warranty for 8 years or 80k miles. Source

That's great your dealership took care of you as you are not tuned. This shows however even non tuned vehicles can inhibit this problem. However, removing and cracking open the ECU most likely exacerbates this problem and that is what a court would most likely find if you claimed this was under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act. If you are not on a port flash tune and take it into the dealership and they can see that the ECU has been cracked open you will be out of luck because you are basically trying to defraud Volkswagen.