GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo help, 2.5l

Weakspecs

Ready to race!
im pretty sure all of us on the 2.5 forum have looked into turboing our golfs. its truly not worth it and if I was going to turbo my golf I wouldn't do it the cheap way. but this is just my opinion do as you please. if you do decide to turbo it plz post pics cause id like to see how it goes #alllove
also check in the mk5 forum because I know theres a couple turbo 2.5s on there.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
^ not worth it? nah. it's worth it, but it aint cheap

to the OP

do it right or dont do it at all.

thygreyt

Racekor.
um.. let me chime in.

small intro: i made my own turbo kit, utilizing the SPA manifold and a PTE 5858 journal bearing turbo.

This is an image of the custom piping for my car... which i too made on a computer with the measurements.

First off, forgive my... rudeness. i am not known for patience.

Dont be stupid and cheap.
Turboing a 2.5L is not necessarily hard, and it can be awesome, but do it wrong and you could be looking at a blown engine.

a K03 is VERY small for a 2.5L. to illustrate: its a small turbo on a 4 cylinder 2.0L, and its almost choked at 4k RPMs, and then it just keeps on falling up to redline.

so, put a similarly sized turbo on a 2.5 and you would just choke it sooner. whats the point?
--------------

Do it right. use a medium to large turbo. Why? not only efficiency, but also flow. These 2.5L 5 cylinder motors have a relative high flow, similar to that of the 2.8L VR6 motors. Yes, thats right, we have the size and flow similar to 6 cylinders, not 4.

So, when shopping for a turbo think and search for 6 cylinders if its easier for you.

A garret 2876 for example is a great turbo on a 2.0, but a tiny turbo that just produces WAY too much torque and chokes up on a 2.5L.

and a PTE6262 is a large turbo for a 2.0, but its just right for a 6 cylinder 2.8. And as it happens, its a good turbo (albeit a bit laggy) on a 2.5L.

------

Cliffnotes:
- dont cheap out.
-SPA manifold is a biatch to work with.
-USE an intercooler.
-use proper tuned software (c2 is not my option)

feel free to post any questions. i

missinthegrove

Passed Driver's Ed
That picture helps me a lot! Thank you, right now i am looking to spend a lot more than originally planed, im looking at a rebuilt pte5031e. Can you possibly explain more in depth the process you took of routing the intercooler? I bought the spa manifold and the orientation of the turbo has the compressor outlet going up, not down :/

missinthegrove

Passed Driver's Ed
Just bought the SPA manifold, looking at an XS-power 38mm wastegate, 2j-racing turbo and wastegate stud kit, and a PTE 6031E. Even a k04 is a gnat compared to a 2.5L. Thank you all for the extra info. Im deleting the windshield washer fluid reservoir to make some extra room for fmic pipes since I have never used the fluid since purchasing the car. Still looking at tuning options(Sorry C2, lower your damn prices!!! haha).

Mraddict

Passed Driver's Ed
That picture helps me a lot! Thank you, right now i am looking to spend a lot more than originally planed, im looking at a rebuilt pte5031e. Can you possibly explain more in depth the process you took of routing the intercooler? I bought the spa manifold and the orientation of the turbo has the compressor outlet going up, not down :/

You can clock the turbo, meaning you can rotate all three sections of the turbo independently. So you can rotate the compressor cover, which will allow you to change the orientation of the outlet to fit your needs.

missinthegrove

Passed Driver's Ed
You can clock the turbo, meaning you can rotate all three sections of the turbo independently. So you can rotate the compressor cover, which will allow you to change the orientation of the outlet to fit your needs.

Awesome! Thank you, intercooler is shipping in this week and i have taken the windshield washer fluid resveroir out to accomodate larger fmic piping. I never used the washer fluid anyways so im not losing anything. The damn SPA manifold turbo connection is upside down so thats why i needed to change the direction, thank you! Will have pics when the intercooler comes in.

Mraddict

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome! Thank you, intercooler is shipping in this week and i have taken the windshield washer fluid resveroir out to accomodate larger fmic piping. I never used the washer fluid anyways so im not losing anything. The damn SPA manifold turbo connection is upside down so thats why i needed to change the direction, thank you! Will have pics when the intercooler comes in.

If you route the charge piping under the car you shouldn't need to take the reservoir out. Look at the piping from the JDL or C2 kit, or as thygreyt posted above. Only time you really need to remove the washer reservoir is when you route the charge pipes through the engine bay, and even then if you get creative you can keep the reservoir.

missinthegrove

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats very true, just for my application I wanted it to be all consolidated in the bay so sacrificing the reservoir was no biggie for me. Also im not cheaping out on the wastegate, brand new TiAL 38mm with 10psi spring is $240 on amazon. Intercooler will be installed thursday night if my classes arent relentless. I measured the intercooler out and made a template, should fit very well for an fmic. Will update with pics on thursday!

missinthegrove

Passed Driver's Ed
Now before everyone flips out and says it a bad idea, i have brought a junkyard turbo (Volvo TD04HL-13g). I am in the process of upgrading it to a 19t compressor wheel and housing as we speak. I checked before and after i pulled it, no signs of crazy wear or oil anywhere in the compressor side, no oil at all in the exhuast side, no shaft play at all. I am rebuilding it myself, just to save a little cash, its not difficult and im getting it professionally balanced. I am selling a 38mm precision wastegate also btw!!! Looking to get $200 but ill take what i can reasonably get, never used, still have the box and everything.