GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf TDI Conversion To GTD

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Can you do a tune without cracking the ECU open. US based cars had to have had the ECUs physically opened up eventually leading to countless ECU failures...

STING

Ready to race!
Can you do a tune without cracking the ECU open. US based cars had to have had the ECUs physically opened up eventually leading to countless ECU failures...
Yes mate my TDI was tuned without opening the ECU.
If they have discovered how to do this to the GTI in the US then they should be able to do the TDI. If not yet then very soon!
My friend got his tuned last week for £200 earth pounds by a man in a van with a laptop :laugh:
EDIT: surely some forum member in your area has a tuned TDI that would let you have a spin to feel the difference?
Seriously don't get caught up in bhp numbers as in a diesel they are meaningless! Its the torque increase that gives the fun factor.

Last edited:

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Haha I'm going to Ireland just to jump in a f'n cabby and telling him to step on it!

This conversation reminds me of those cartoons where there's an angel on my one shoulder telling me to do the right thing and.. well you know. Two more pints of Guiness and I'm getting the damn tune!

STING

Ready to race!
Haha I'm going to Ireland just to jump in a f'n cabby and telling him to step on it!

This conversation reminds me of those cartoons where there's an angel on my one shoulder telling me to do the right thing and.. well you know. Two more pints of Guiness and I'm getting the damn tune!
Man put out the feelers in your area for a drive in a tuned TDI
Mine was tuned within 2miles from the dealer I bought it from :laugh:
The only reason why my MK7gtd is still stock is because its my company car.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I'm seeing quite an improvement in the charts. 90ft-lbs of extra torque! Is this the Revo tune? Are you running it in your car? I believe APR may run out at 170hp 300 ft-lb.... bigger, bigger, faster is always the illness but I'd be happy with either data set. Disabling the system may be necessary b/c we do emissions testing here, now they tap into the ECU and measure diagnostics as well before I can get a passing grade and keep my car on the road. I'm guessing that Cali and anywhere Britain or Europe is the same, but I need to make sure this car passes. I'm going to find some local dubbers with a tune. I bumped into one chap who had his car tuned Malone but I lost his contact info. My whip was really new so I didn't want to lose out in warranty.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Because there is not a single stock TDI that averages 55. Unless they are trailing a semi at 50mph.

DPF removal yields about 10% extra mpg though. Huge expense... downpipe+tune+ all those parts. You'll never offset it with fuel savings.

I have nothing done with my car except oversized tires, and if I set the cruise at 60 mph, I'm doing about 65... it is about a 9% upsize on tire size. Yes I get rubbing on hard bumps when I have a lot of people in the car, but that is beside the point. Point is, no mods except for upsize tires and I get 50-57 mpg on the highway. I get 42 around the city. I also don't waste my time getting up to speed. You burn more fuel (13-14 mpg) babying it to speed in 20-25 seconds than you do getting 12 mpg for the 8 or 9 seconds to get to 60. I get to the highway gear and I stay there as long as possible. My last fill up was 80 city / 20 highway. I filled up at 660 miles and put just over 14.5 gallons in (filled to the cap) do the math... for the 9% further distance driven than the odometer says and it comes to 719.4/14.5=49.6xxx

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
That amount is just forum ppl only. I made a thread with a poll at one point and the failure rate was a non insignificant %5+ and that was like I said a small sample size and two years ago. Fuel pump failures certainly go up with age of the vehicles and and every single failure on the forum wasn't misfuel related.

It's hard to create a coherent statement for this matter simply because it is really difficult to get all the info. Tons of variable.

I remember that poll, and I noticed a huge correlation between those early failures and the fuel of choice being either bp or shell; both shitty in quality. I only fill up where the pump and the station guarantee their fuel to not cause fuel related failures. This means if RaceTrac fuel blows my pump, they replace it free of charge, and the whole damn system too.

tortor

Golf mk6 and Mk7 tdi GTD convertions

Hi,
we have 2 golf. One Mk6 2.0 tdi body converted to gtd, and 1 mk7 with the same kind of body conversion.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tdi_140hp.html

Revert to stock mode looks very appetizing.
These numbers only (lol) show a 50ft-lb gain.

Whatever you do do NOT get a APR rune! Those are the guys known to kill ECUs.

Malone is known as the GO TO guy for TDi Tuning.
http://www.malonetuning.com/20l-cr-tdi

Find a reputable well established tuner in your area you should be good.

Also be sure to read up at http://forums.tdiclub.com There's a vast amount of information there. Much more then I can put in a single post.

There are a few guys there trying to figure out how to get a more robust HPFP for the CR TDI. There's also a kit to prevent extensive damage to the entire fuel system. Basically only the pump will need to be replaced not the entire fuel system as it would in the stock configuration:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375803

I'd say with that kit from 2 micron you should be good for up to stage 2 power levels (beyond that I've seen fuel flow issues) without much worry on if the fuel pump bids the world fair well.

Aside from the fuel pump, DPF and EGR issues there's really not much to worry about. Some folks over at TDi club have been on stage 2 tunes for quite a while with no ill effects.

Some also went all out with a GTB2260VK from darkside. Granted with such a turbo you'd have to loose much of the emissions stuff. But you get in return 240WHP and a stump pulling 400ft lbs of torque. Many supporting mods would need to be added for such a tune... Clutch, single mass flywheel, Limited slip diff & Transmission strengthening (gears, forks) just to name the big ticket items.

I think if you just want a nice bump in power that a stage 2 tune from malone will work out to be the best overall. You can even keep all the emission equipment in tact if you wish (or need to due to local laws).

With that said, I must reiterate what has already been said... No matter what you do it will never be a really fast car. you can certainly give it a ~30-40% bump in power. These cars were built for efficiency. Bone stock I'm averaging 42mpg (US).

If I wanted something fast I would have went with the GTi.

tortor

Some recent pictures of my 2 TDI to GTD look conversions
Golf MK6 received recently new Bi-Xenon Headlights