GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I think the cautions are more from a driver development standpoint. Learning to drive on street tires forces you to be smooth and your deficiencies as a driver are more apparent. When a new driver jumps immediately to R-Cps or slicks, they lose out on that development and driving errors can be masked by grip. That's one of the reasons why most HPDE organizations don't allow R-comps or slicks in green run groups.

Wow I have driven with a few different organizations and don't recall any rules disallowing any particular tire type for any group. I personally prefer to train on same tire all the time so I get max time with the tire.

I can see why they might caution folks that are new to their car about running slicks, especially when it comes to moisture on the track. If you don't know your car well you probably will do the wrong thing when this happens. Of course the best thing to do is go back into the pits and switch tires ....

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
This is a snip from the rules page of Trackdaze, which is the main HPDE organization I run with. I can't say enough good things about this organization, it's top notch and the instructors are great.

One other rule they have is that they don't allow apex markers of any type. I never understood why until I saw a driver blow through an apex because the apex marker he was so used to seeing got ran over. No apex markers forces you to use permanent landmarks and actually learn the layout of the track rather than "connecting the dots" of apex markers.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I can definitely see that. I jumped straight to Hoosiers. Biggest thing was the cost savings. Take off sets are $400-$500 and last a long time. The other great thing is they can take heat all day long. I literally went 45 minutes STRAIGHT with no cool down laps. Was it smart? Probably not, but I had a hell of a time. But I also have all the other mods in place (accusump, track mounts/bushings, etc). Hoosiers do "mask" driver error to an extent, but "error" is relative. At least with our cars being FWD, if you crash on Hoosiers you're really doing something stupid or had a mechanical. Unless your car is setup really loose in the rear, these cars will push at the limit.

I will have to go back to street tires next year for SCCA nationals and will basically have to relearn the tracks I've already grown comfortable with as the time attack line is very different between r-comps and street tires.

Where are you buying them?

https://usedracingtires.com/

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
This is a snip from the rules page of Trackdaze, which is the main HPDE organization I run with. I can't say enough good things about this organization, it's top notch and the instructors are great.

One other rule they have is that they don't allow apex markers of any type. I never understood why until I saw a driver blow through an apex because the apex marker he was so used to seeing got ran over. No apex markers forces you to use permanent landmarks and actually learn the layout of the track rather than "connecting the dots" of apex markers.

Well that is one organization but it is not "most". I still am not sure I agree with the concept which not to say I am casting dispersion on the whole organization, I am sure it is a good one.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Few more HPDE organizations for reference. NASA doesn't ban them but strongly discourages them for novice drivers, it's up to the instructors discretion. Reading the NASA forums, many instructors indicated that they wouldn't ride with a novice student on slicks or R-Comps. Either way, it's their choice I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Few more HPDE organizations for reference. NASA doesn't ban them but strongly discourages them for novice drivers, it's up to the instructors discretion. Reading the NASA forums, many instructors indicated that they wouldn't ride with a novice student on slicks or R-Comps. Either way, it's their choice I guess.

I would certainly not get in with a student on r comps. It says more about that person's attitude/ego and decision making if you ask me. We always go into a lot of detail about leaving your ego at home but the message is not always heard.

I often hear clubs ask for a show of hands for novice groups on who's using r comps, then ask what car they're in....then say "the rest of you guys watch out when you're close to those cars"

Gotta crawl before you can walk.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
No more excuses, time to get back out there. Just signed up to run Road Atlanta. It's been a few years and I've never driven Road Atlanta so I've signed up as a novice. I'd like some supervision to help knock the rust off.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
No more excuses, time to get back out there. Just signed up to run Road Atlanta. It's been a few years and I've never driven Road Atlanta so I've signed up as a novice. I'd like some supervision to help knock the rust off.
Jealous, have fun my dude. My next track day isn't for a other month. [emoji17] It's a 2 day event at VIR, 4.2 mile Grand Course one day (aka VIRburgring) and the regular Full Course the next day.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Jealous, have fun my dude. My next track day isn't for a other month. [emoji17] It's a 2 day event at VIR, 4.2 mile Grand Course one day (aka VIRburgring) and the regular Full Course the next day.

I’ve come across a couple of your VIR videos on YouTube, looks like a lot of fun. How this event at Road Atlanta goes will set my schedule for next year and VIR full is a track I really want to get on.

If I’m easy enough on consumables I can see about a half a dozen events next year; multiple at Road Atlanta because it’s a short drive from my house, but also VIR and Barber.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Anyone using the hot Advan A052s? supposed to be hot fire and even better than the RE71s.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Use the scrub markings on the sidewalk to help determine the psi, some tighter tracks might need a little more psi

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah thanks, I was probably going to grab some chalk and mark up the sidewalls to make sure I'm not underinflated.