GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL code: P2096

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
Was finally able to get to the shop yesterday for them to scan the car/inspect my downpipe and they found nothing, nada, zilch. They smoke tested the exhaust (from the intake back), scanned the car (got the same code I found originally), and did a full visual inspection. They didn't seem to think it was the o2 sensors based on the code, but I will be going back on my next weekday off in 2 weeks to check again.

Any more opinions on this code since no leaks were found? Anyone from AWE/GIAC have any input on this one?

GTIvic

Passed Driver's Ed
Does yours come back after driving mine did not but if your does you could have a stuck o2 sensor logic being if your main o2 is reading correct ie no faults for it and you have no leaks allowing air into exhaust after the primary o2 it's The only logical answer how else will the air fuel mixture change while going threw a pipe ?

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
Yeppers, just came back on coming home from work today. Love it. Spent 2x the $ on a DP that wasn't supposed to throw a CEL, spend 2 hours re-fitting/sealing all the junctions, then spend 3 hours in the shop yesterday for basically nada too. Guessing all it could be at this point is one of the o2 sensors.

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
Sorry for resurecting this thread from dead but was this issue fixed? And how? Thanks.

Nope, still getting this code. I scan every few weeks just to make sure all is well and car is still running great. Think I just need an O2 sensor but those things are not cheap! Plus, no one seems to be 100% sure this will fix the problem.

Are you getting this code now? What work did you do that caused it?

EURO_GTI

Ready to race!
I had 2196 and 2096... Downpipe leak for sure. When I took it in for k04 the CEL was gone. I'm sure one of the bolts connecting to turbo was not secured/fastened properly prior, or they messed with the o2 sensors... Don't spend the money to have the o2 sensors when that's most likely not the cause.

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
I had 2196 and 2096... Downpipe leak for sure. When I took it in for k04 the CEL was gone. I'm sure one of the bolts connecting to turbo was not secured/fastened properly prior, or they messed with the o2 sensors... Don't spend the money to have the o2 sensors when that's most likely not the cause.

I wish it was that easy! I did all the work myself (and was very careful when I changed the O2 sensors). I checked, re-checked, triple checked, and quadruple checked all my fittings to make sure they were tight (over a period of about 6 weeks to let everything settle). Then I took the car in for a smoke test from intake all the way back to the exhaust. NO leaks were found anywhere so I'm at a total loss.

Saw your post last year about your leak and could only hope it was that simple in my case:(

Maybe it's a sign I just need to go K04??!!

boki

Ready to race!
Yea, I just got my k04 and second O2 spacer installed with the non test pipe file from APR and after a couple of hundred miles I started getting this code...now, I was researching around and some people think that it might be an exhaust leak or something so I'm going to try and put that exhaust paste on the dp to catback joint and maybe check the dp flange meeting the turbo joint and see what happens after that. If that doesn't work I'm going to take off both O2 spacers, load the test pipe k04 file and drive like that until time comes for the next inspection and then back with spacers and non test pipe file (at least I won't need to swap down pipes for that which is a huge advantage).

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
This is what I did to diagnose it:
1) Get Torque App and BT OBD2 Dongle
2) Scan codes to verify the sensor in question
3) Check live readings with the car on. Is the voltage and reading output static? It should be moving with the flow in exhaust (rev the motor). It was quite clear that my last o2 sensor (bank 2, sensor 2) was flat lined and pegged at like 1.5v I think. The other sensors were bouncing around with the flow of the exhaust.
4) If sensor is bad, buy Universal Bosch o2 sensor: cut sensor off, splice/attach new sensor, its half the price of a new one.

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
I never did get rid of the code. It's been driving fine for the last year or so with it, but would definitely like to get rid of that damn CEL! May have to try lilfleck's recommendation, but yeah, how did you check those things? Is there something in the Torque app I'm missing? I have the $5 version of Torque too.