GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #15
smanierre
Formula 5000 Driver
 
smanierre's Avatar
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontmk6 View Post
Stock turbo for now. Currently waiting for Stratified to send me the final MAF tune. Clutch slips like a mofo on the low-torque 93 octane map.

Clutch, brakes, COBB cat-back exhaust, Stage 2 retune , then deal with charge pipes and smaller stuff, then maybe bigger turbo once everything is settled down.

I've been trying to pick a LSD from the various models, need to read more drivability reports on the two main vendors.
Thats basically the same plan i'm following, currently on the charge pipe portion. I just got a SB stage 2 endurance and peloquin LSD. Was able to floor it in second all the way to redline and only got a slight bit of wheel hop, thats also probably from the mounts and fat tires but im sure the LSD helped as well.
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Stratified E30 Tune | IE Intercooler | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | Turbosmart Plumb Back DV | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | VWR Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck | YCW Aeris Series Coilovers
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #16
vermontmk6
Drag Race Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 mk6
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Vermont
Posts: 49
Why not Stage 2 Daily Driver? I'm considering that or endurance, which seems like more than enough clutch.
vermontmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #17
smanierre
Formula 5000 Driver
 
smanierre's Avatar
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontmk6 View Post
Why not Stage 2 Daily Driver? I'm considering that or endurance, which seems like more than enough clutch.
The shop recommended that so I just went with it. It was really stiff at first but now it really doesn't feel that stiff. Doesn't like bad shifts but feels amazing on good shifts

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Stratified E30 Tune | IE Intercooler | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | Turbosmart Plumb Back DV | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | VWR Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck | YCW Aeris Series Coilovers
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #18
theclutch
Rally Car Newbie
 
theclutch's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 272
Ok guys... add me to the list of people with this surging issue. Bought the airflow straightener (frankly pretty annoyed my Cobb $395 intake now became $430 with this air straightener thing). That's $105 more than the APR at this point (dunno if the APR one suffers the same issue).

Installation wise, I just put mine at the very edge of the tube. Do I really have to put it as close to the MAF as possible? I guess I could just try it and find out.

I'm also getting what sounds like tires rubbing from 72 to 75 miles per hour. This is not dependent on RPMs. I could put the car in neutral at that speed and still get the sound. It's annoying that I typically cruise at that speed. So I find it ironic that I get the drone from the intake and not from the downpipe! I can change the sound a little bit by removing the top cover and reorienting the intake filter one way or another. Has anyone else noticed the same issue?
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #19
Slowgti08
Rally Car Newbie
 
Slowgti08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 266
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
Ok guys... add me to the list of people with this surging issue. Bought the airflow straightener (frankly pretty annoyed my Cobb $395 intake now became $430 with this air straightener thing). That's $105 more than the APR at this point (dunno if the APR one suffers the same issue).

Installation wise, I just put mine at the very edge of the tube. Do I really have to put it as close to the MAF as possible? I guess I could just try it and find out.

I'm also getting what sounds like tires rubbing from 72 to 75 miles per hour. This is not dependent on RPMs. I could put the car in neutral at that speed and still get the sound. It's annoying that I typically cruise at that speed. So I find it ironic that I get the drone from the intake and not from the downpipe! I can change the sound a little bit by removing the top cover and reorienting the intake filter one way or another. Has anyone else noticed the same issue?
That sucks bro.. Sorry to hear that.
Slowgti08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #20
theclutch
Rally Car Newbie
 
theclutch's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontmk6 View Post
Stock turbo for now. Currently waiting for Stratified to send me the final MAF tune. Clutch slips like a mofo on the low-torque 93 octane map.

Clutch, brakes, COBB cat-back exhaust, Stage 2 retune , then deal with charge pipes and smaller stuff, then maybe bigger turbo once everything is settled down.

I've been trying to pick a LSD from the various models, need to read more drivability reports on the two main vendors.
Which LSDs are you considering?

Also, add me to the list of fixed COBB intakes... that MAF air straightener worked wonders!

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showp...15&postcount=7
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #21
Donutman
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 2013 gti
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Indio ca
Posts: 15
Getting the same codes .
Cobb stage 1+
Sf cobb intake
Ie fds Intercooler
Ie catch ca.
The question is what size inserts 3 or 3.5
Donutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #22
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver
 
HYDE16's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MK6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Posts: 6,923
It's easy, order your size off of Treadstone's website. You can equally crush the outside of the straightener until it fits inside the pipe. Throw a tac or two of super glue and you're done. The car will run much more smoothly. A lot of us do this with custom big turbo intakes.



__________________
Pag Parts EFR Turbo Thread: HYDE16 - The Pag Parts EFR Turbo Kit
Build Thread: HYDE16 - Project Jekyll & Hyde Build Thread
Facebook: Ryan Jacobs
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #23
vermontmk6
Drag Race Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 mk6
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Vermont
Posts: 49
Thanks for these great photos, yeah it took me a while to learn about the airflow straightener, COBB said nothing.
vermontmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #24
theclutch
Rally Car Newbie
 
theclutch's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontmk6 View Post
Thanks for these great photos, yeah it took me a while to learn about the airflow straightener, COBB said nothing.
It's a travesty and BS that we have to add this "straightener" to make their intake work. Had they admitted to it, they would have had to admit to the poor engineering on their part. Also make note how you get a "tire rubbing" sounding noise even with the straightener between 72-74 mph; worse without it. It's utterly poor design AND poor testing on their part. I can't say how any one else's intake is. But this one is unacceptable for the price. If it was a $200 intake, that's one thing...But for what amount to $430? I would have tried the APR (which could, to be fair, have it's own issues).
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #25
vermontmk6
Drag Race Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 mk6
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Vermont
Posts: 49
I put the LSD research on hold. I'm going to replace the COBB intake with maybe one from IE to get rid of the straightener. Been going back and forth between k04 and BT, k04 is winning right now.
vermontmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #26
hbrown0509
FIA GT Champion
 
hbrown0509's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VW GTI 4DR DSG
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontmk6 View Post
I put the LSD research on hold. I'm going to replace the COBB intake with maybe one from IE to get rid of the straightener. Been going back and forth between k04 and BT, k04 is winning right now.


The IE intake is a solid choice! I like it the most out of the other ones.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hbrown0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #27
theclutch
Rally Car Newbie
 
theclutch's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontmk6 View Post
I put the LSD research on hold. I'm going to replace the COBB intake with maybe one from IE to get rid of the straightener. Been going back and forth between k04 and BT, k04 is winning right now.
Before you get an IE intake, run the COBB intake without the top cover. You may/may not like the sound of an "open air" element filter. It poses its own set of challenges.
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #28
smanierre
Formula 5000 Driver
 
smanierre's Avatar
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 1,372
+1 for IE. I went from forge to Cobb to IE and the IE is the only one I didn't get weird behavior with. Also I would say go gtx2867. Will still perform well at near k04 levels of power but still gives you room to grow if you want and will have a good response due to it being on the smaller end.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Stratified E30 Tune | IE Intercooler | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | Turbosmart Plumb Back DV | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | VWR Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck | YCW Aeris Series Coilovers
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
cobb, intake, stratified, tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.