GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just Clowning Around

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Gotta finish all your engine builds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed a complete stock low mileage ED30 engine (K04) and gearbox with ECU Stage 2+ and DSG Stage 2+ too. At least I can drive the car for now.

In parallel working on forging CDL engine and preparing for the Quattro too. Don’t know when I will finish but hopefully soon!

clownish

just clowning around

Spring is spring. Aka it’s raining 16 hours a day for the next month and the grass is growing but always too wet to mow.

Drove the old gas off, need to do all the maintenance - oil, trans, brake fluid. Also swap out some filters. Then back to race gas for summer unless I take a long trip. Been on jack stands for a long time. Also need to stick my rear diffuser in.

From 2014? Some old glory shot.

This is from last year. I haven’t taken any new photos in about a year. Hah.

clownish

just clowning around
Installed that Verus Engineering diffuser I’ve had sitting for almost a year. Pictured is mid install. Install was easy - most difficult portion was the fact my rear bumper cover doesn’t line up and I had to call a friend to help me hold things in place while I jammed a screw in.

I like that it’s almost invisible. Drove about 300 mi this weekend with no hits yet. Can feel the difference - I like it so far. Only concern is it is touching my exhaust tips slightly. May need to resolve that; maybe not?

Got caught driving home on Friday. Didn’t notice my friend in his gold A4 that’s entirely stock except for some wheel spacers because it is pretty beige. Also used to see him riding his HD or GLI. Also was kinda upset at the hour commute on a 15 minute route. May have been listening to comedy specials from Netflix at that point in the drive.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
What differences are you feeling?

I’ve been thinking about toning down the rear but adding this has stopped the squirreliness I’ve been feeling above 60-70 mph. Sort of that looseness that doesn’t feel right VS. the looseness you want. I know some people want the tail end real loose but i feel like at lower speeds the diffuser hasn’t altered the car and at higher speeds it helps plant it more - I personally like the car to start with the rides on rails feel because I can tell when it’s beginning to hit the edge of traction - not just on/off... and panic. I need to do an alignment on my rears and maybe adjust my coils again but it’s acceptable, not optimal. right now.

does the change your exhaust sound in the cabin at all? i imagine it might.
it added a higher pitches whistling noise and some extra rattles. I think it’s when the exhaust and diffuser bounce - I also left a nut that slid wayyyyy down and stopped against one of the exhaust curves. it was stainless aka not magnetic so I couldn’t get it out. Hopefully that bounces out eventually or I’ll drop the whole thing when I retorque everything.

Exhaust noise is about the same - but I have no backseats or anything in the trunk so it’s noisy all the time. I haven’t stripped the plastic interior panels because that’s just a few lbs and I would like to keep those for now but I’m sure removing those would make it even louder.

clownish

just clowning around
Spring/summer cleaning. Last year the car got driven around 2100 mi. If that. Got the car out of storage, drove it around a bit, cleaned it half heartedly. I'm bored of it, to be honest. Interior is stripped as much as I want to, have no motivation to finish pulling those panels for a few lbs that I don't really care about. Open projects - battery relocate/wiring harnesses, seat rails/seat delete clean up, wiring harness clean up for the sub (which I might pull but it's the last nice thing in the car so I do like having speakers. And AC). There’s a remote control I wired for and never installed on the center column after fabricating the actual harness. Got lazy at the last step... 2 years ago. Found it in my boxes the other day so it’s sitting on the counter now. And! There's always engine things that could be done. During the oil change and filters and all that spring storage bullshit I noticed that my cam bridge screen is clogged and I'll have to address that at some point. So that means while we're in there - changing up the timing chains, guides, water pump, thermostat etc. since its at 94,000 ish. Premature, but might as well?

Or just pull the entire motor, sell it, and find something more interesting to put into the shell. There are several nearly plug and play options that I’ve eyed, having considered dropping them into the mk5 before getting rid of that as a daily. That would have been too savage as a daily - some sort of supercharged 3.6 Mk5 or a late Audi motor as a daily car. Instead, I put in some nice Fox shocks, wheels/tires, tinted, PPFed and ceramic coated the T4R daily. Thinking about buying some dynamat, new focal speakers and putting a nice system in that thing since I'm in it so often. It's a good daily.

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Focal speakers 🔊 👍🏾🎶

clownish

just clowning around
Focal speakers 🔊 👍🏾🎶

for posterity if anyone is interested. for 5th gen 4runners - an easy, cost effective sound upgrade, without amp or headunit so far (because I haven't made up my mind):
Focal IS Toy 690 - front component speakers (1 pair x2 total) (EU ebay for cheapest prices)
Focal ISC 165 - universal 6.5" 2-way coaxial (2 pairs x4 total) (EU ebay for cheapest prices)
Uneeksupply TSB 920 - 6.5" front door speaker adapters and harness (2 pairs x4 total) (ebay)
Uneeksupply 72-8104 - 6.5" front door speaker adapters and harness (ebay)
50 sheets killmat/dynamat/your choice - buy from amazon for cheapest prices

clownish

just clowning around
One of my fogs burnt out in the last few weeks. Been lazy and never replaced it. But this weekend while I was cleaning the garage I realized I still had a set of LED fog lights I never installed. Score. 'Free' bulbs - aka ones I bought years ago and never installed. Installed them this weekend.

During replacement, noticed I had the typically missing fender fog cover. Note to self - Have to re-check the ballasts and make sure they're secured sometime this week. Car runs and drives like normal. Still leaking oil... I'll have to address that eventually - haven't decided what else I want to do at the same time yet. (n)