GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 oil pan bolt

07stuntin6r

Ready to race!
Okay so went to change my oil long story short the damn drain plug was so tight I stripped the hex and now can't get it off. Any tricks I could do? Hard not being a regular bolt but I was wondering if I could take the oil pan off loosen the bolt from the inside and then get a new one. Gasket be reusable? Car has 30k miles on it so prev oil was all done by dealer. Thanks!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
big ass channel locks will take it off.

zrickety

The Fixer
Yes, you could use an oil extractor. Big channel locks, or vise grips could work. I wouldn't drop the pan, that won't help. Do you have the right metric sockets? A good 6 point should have got it loose. Have a new bolt/washer on hand, the seal is reusable if you don't overtighten it.

07stuntin6r

Ready to race!
big ass channel locks will take it off.

I've change my oil once before never had an issue until this time. Trying to figure out how I'm gonna get channel locks around the bolt since there isn't much room to work with as far as surface area. Might order that valve and wait for it to come in then try it. Cars at 12k on this oil just wanted to change it before I put another 1k. Should be fine tho...the bolt is a hex key so not a traditional drain plug

Last edited:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Okay so went to change my oil long story short the damn drain plug was so tight I stripped the hex and now can't get it off. Any tricks I could do? Hard not being a regular bolt but I was wondering if I could take the oil pan off loosen the bolt from the inside and then get a new one. Gasket be reusable? Car has 30k miles on it so prev oil was all done by dealer. Thanks!

Just need an easy out, no cutting or bending. Tap it in and slowly turn. Had the same happen to me. See below. The gasket is not reusable since it is a liquid silicone sealant.

07stuntin6r

Ready to race!
Just need an easy out, no cutting or bending. Tap it in and slowly turn. Had the same happen to me. See below. The gasket is not reusable since it is a liquid silicone sealant.

Yeah instead of dealing with it I'll leave it and change from the top from now on. It's so nice to do it this way!!! Mind F shocked how much oil my engine burned up....wanna say atleast 2qts [emoji15]

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Or maybe you're not getting all of the oil out.

This. or you may have a leak somewhere.

When you use your extractor, do you uncap at the engine top while pulling from dipstick tube? or is the line possibly flat against the bottom? try pushing and twisting to see if you can get in further?