GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Concern Over HPFP

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So I am concerned about this as well since I have bought an Extended Warranty when I purchased my 2012 Golf MK6 TDI DSG

Will the extended warranty even cover it?

Anyone have any problems with the HPFP with their 2012 MK6 Golf?

How do I obtain the entire documentation of what the Extended Warranty covers and not covers?

Spending $10k for this HPFP out of your own pocket is just ridiculous. That money could be used for making payments, or possibly just trading in the car and using it as down payment, or mods for your next car :) or one heck of a vacation!

Until how many miles?

rmchung

Ready to race!
How is it that this repair can cost in the neighborhood of $10K? Do they replace the engine?

The entire fuel system is replaced (lines, common rail, injectors, fuel tank, etc). The only thing that may not be replaced is the fuel tank, which they may just drain and clean out. I would say, even if you took it to an independent mechanic, it's not going to be a small bill.

After experiencing a failure, I definitely don't have plans to keep it beyond my extended warranty. This hasn't steered me away from vw diesels, I have loved driving this car and it has been a great balance of a fun-to-drive car AND a gas friendly car for my long daily commute to work. Most likely, I'll step into a Mk7 diesel...not sure I see another competing car that would fit my bill.

If I do have another failure and VW won't cover it, I will just dump it and buy a new car; no point in spending that much money to fix it up when I can just use that cost toward a new car instead.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
You can fix it for far less; ~$700 for a new HPFP; and a few hundred to around 1K more in cleaning and replacing the few necessities... Less than 2K for a "real" aftermarket, non-dealership repair.

Even less of a cost if you add 2 Micron's HPFP separator and return filter; then the only thing you'd have to replace in the event of an HPFP failure is the HPFP and a filter...

melx.oc

Ready to race!
http://2microntech.com/

Do those; use Optilube XPD in every tank (every single tank, seriously) and beyond that drive happy.

I enjoy my daily driver and have spent resources with quality modifications to it. I'd like to keep it as long as I can. If the CR is a design flaw in mk6 tdi's; I'd rather install a Contain Flow Kit and Pure Flow adapter rather than making a claim with a VW dealership. Some had said the some good dealers cover the $10K or so repair; shady ones blame it on bad diesel sold by Shell (I have 20K miles and have fed my car with Shell Diesel #2 from day one :mad0259:).

For those that have the 2microntech contain flow kit and pure flow adapter installed, how was your experience? What is the ballpark price for the kit and adapter?

If this is not the route you took, what approach did you take to prevent future CR issues?

Tarwheel

Ready to race!
I don't understand why VW doesn't do a recall or offer to replace all of the pumps in question. Clearly this must be hurting their sales. Anyone who does any research before buying a TDI finds out about the HPFP failures. I originally planned to buy a TDI Sportwagen or Golf when I started doing some research and was quickly scared off, ending up with a 2.5L Golf. It's one thing for a faulty part to go bad, but when that failure practically destroys the engine, that's a whole other ball of wax.

Even if VW is paying for the repairs, it seems like it would be cheaper for them to replace the faulty pumps before they go bad. Also, the pumps are like a ticking time bomb for owners. Who knows whether VW will pay for the repairs if your pump fails 5-10 years down the line? It also must hurt resale values. I would be very reluctant to buy a used TDI unless it was still under warranty and had low mileage, unless the pump had already been replaced.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Replaced pump makes it no less likely to fail. And the warranty is fairly long at 5 years 60k miles... Most ppl are not car enthusiasts and have no idea about these failures.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
I enjoy my daily driver and have spent resources with quality modifications to it. I'd like to keep it as long as I can. If the CR is a design flaw in mk6 tdi's; I'd rather install a Contain Flow Kit and Pure Flow adapter rather than making a claim with a VW dealership. Some had said the some good dealers cover the $10K or so repair; shady ones blame it on bad diesel sold by Shell (I have 20K miles and have fed my car with Shell Diesel #2 from day one :mad0259:).

For those that have the 2microntech contain flow kit and pure flow adapter installed, how was your experience? What is the ballpark price for the kit and adapter?

If this is not the route you took, what approach did you take to prevent future CR issues?

I have the contain flow kit on my car, and will most likely add the pure flow adapter when it comes out. It was 143 CAD plus shipping with the filter. It was easy to install the kit and there's no change in the way the car drives. He's emailed to give me updates and ask for feedback on mine. My fuel system hasn't failed, so I guess I'm happy? It's protecting against a low-probability event, but I like the peace of mind that comes with having it on, even if it isn't changing risk by very much.

melx.oc

Ready to race!
I have the contain flow kit on my car, and will most likely add the pure flow adapter when it comes out. It was 143 CAD plus shipping with the filter. It was easy to install the kit and there's no change in the way the car drives. He's emailed to give me updates and ask for feedback on mine. My fuel system hasn't failed, so I guess I'm happy? It's protecting against a low-probability event, but I like the peace of mind that comes with having it on, even if it isn't changing risk by very much.

I appreciate the info.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I don't understand why VW doesn't do a recall or offer to replace all of the pumps in question. Clearly this must be hurting their sales. Anyone who does any research before buying a TDI finds out about the HPFP failures. I originally planned to buy a TDI Sportwagen or Golf when I started doing some research and was quickly scared off, ending up with a 2.5L Golf. It's one thing for a faulty part to go bad, but when that failure practically destroys the engine, that's a whole other ball of wax.

Even if VW is paying for the repairs, it seems like it would be cheaper for them to replace the faulty pumps before they go bad. Also, the pumps are like a ticking time bomb for owners. Who knows whether VW will pay for the repairs if your pump fails 5-10 years down the line? It also must hurt resale values. I would be very reluctant to buy a used TDI unless it was still under warranty and had low mileage, unless the pump had already been replaced.

Why would VW offer to replace all pumps in these cars; when the failure rate for all CR TDIs (2010-1013) is currently less than 2%? That would literally cost them billions; when all they have to do is wait and quietly replace the 2% that do fail at a cost of a few hundred thousand instead...

Unless you have a total idiot for a dealership; these are getting replaced on VW's dime even at upwards of 150,000 miles, so it isn;t like they aren't covering them; they are just not publicizing what could be a PR nightmare.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
If I were to do it all over again I would .....
Order the new GTD with manual transmission.

DSG service is a pain to do yourself + you need vagcom and a $350 special kit.
Be sure to buy the extend warrenty and even with that I expect total ownership
to not pass 7-10 years.

If the (TDI)engine goes or (DSG)tranny goes ... basically the car is totaled.
( I waived the white flag at 38,5xx, and thankfully no major issues)