GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

White interior LEDs with colour spots

F3L1X

Hey guys,

just curious if anyone else has installed white LEDs in their footwell and experienced small blue colour spots scattered in the white light?

Just installed mine and noticed this. Wasn't sure if this is just a symptom of buying fairly cheap LED bulbs or something that happens to everyone maybe from a reflection caused by the plastic cover?

CaNANDian

Ready to race!
Well was there blue with the regular bulb in there?

F3L1X

Well was there blue with the regular bulb in there?

No blue with the regular bulb in - only when i installed the White LEDs today.

The bulb is the same i used in other locations and haven't noticed any blue spots however could just be because it's more noticeable in the footwell with the light being closer to the floor shines onto it quite closely

spiker369

on air, don't care
It has to do with the textured plastic of the footwell housing. It causes the light to bounce in different ways and can cause spotting and discoloration. I did testing with DeAutoKey/DeAutoLED back in the day with a number of different LED models when they were findings which would produce the least amount of blue and spots. They came out with a few designs that don't cause this if you're interested.

F3L1X

It has to do with the textured plastic of the footwell housing. It causes the light to bounce in different ways and can cause spotting and discoloration. I did testing with DeAutoKey/DeAutoLED back in the day with a number of different LED models when they were findings which would produce the least amount of blue and spots. They came out with a few designs that don't cause this if you're interested.

yeah i was thinking that was the case. I wonder if there's somewhere to get a plastic cover that isn't textured...

The white LEDs definitely make it noticeable too haha, maybe i should've gone with blue

F3L1X

Just an update for anyone interested;

I swapped out the LEDs in the footwell from a round dome type to a flat wafer type and it is a massive improvement, the colour spots are pretty much gone unless you get down and look very closely where the light reflects immediately next to the light. All in all i'd say it's a fix :)

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

:thumbsup: it has a lot to do with the bulb type and diode chips, if you use our flat wafer design you won't see any spotting:
http://deautokey.com/product/2pc-6-led-wafer-footwell-set-in-crisp-white-red-blue

we even advertise it as no spotting as it was a common issue when we first designed these 4 years ago:

Ours have no spotting and is a clean white LED color temperature.

And another thing to look out for is the resistor type, if you don't have the correct resistors you will see your LEDs going out fairly quickly.