GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem after problem after problem!

Uberryan

Banned
The soft touch, and cloth are pretty cheap. Headliner has dropped on me three times, so that's cheap or improperly tested, and a known issue. Seat bolsters have been known to break, so I call that cheap. I've had to pull and replace parts of the dash due to the soft touch peeling or deteriorating.

Dad owned a 1974 Cuda for 30+ years, original everything on the interior and it looked great. 75k miles on the odom, so it wasn't a garage queen much. Sat under a cover in the driveway for years in the heat, humidity, etc. Now here's my 2011 German car looking like a civic from 1997 aside from the "superior MFD" which is beginning to look like every other car these days anyway. The sunglass holder is cheap, had to replace that since it wouldn't stay up after a while and even the new one is starting to do it. The GPS is cheap, headunit amp is cheap, speakers are cheap, door handles and window components are cheap. Hell, even the windshield is cheap as I'm on the third one of those and the laminate keeps separating at the edges creating tiny bubbles around the border.

As far as mechanical goes... try new long block, 2 PCVs, 1 water pump, 1 set of clutch packs, all coil packs (obvious one), A/C sensor needs to be replaced which could mean the compressor, blower and condenser too, coolant reservoir, injectors 1 and 3.

Hell even the exterior is cheap, the headlights, which are the $1k premium HID option have this crazing going on where they go from cool to hot too quickly and form micro-fissures all over the housing. Only fix is replacement.

Hate to say it, but past warranty, this car is definitely a money pit, and none of this was ever linked to my modifications being even a potential source, or accelerator. My MKV GTI was even worse. Don't get me started on the cam follower system they CHEAPED OUT on. VW has gone the way of the "polished turd". I would never consider owning one of these cars outside of a bumper to bumper coverage ever again after this one.

Current mileage by the way is 49690.

Last edited:

FF_animal

Ready to race!
You forgot to mention busted CV boots and crappy service from your friendly neighborhood service advisor [emoji102]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bmanc42

Passed Driver's Ed
The soft touch, and cloth are pretty cheap. Headliner has dropped on me three times, so that's cheap or improperly tested, and a known issue. Seat bolsters have been known to break, so I call that cheap. I've had to pull and replace parts of the dash due to the soft touch peeling or deteriorating.

Dad owned a 1974 Cuda for 30+ years, original everything on the interior and it looked great. 75k miles on the odom, so it wasn't a garage queen much. Sat under a cover in the driveway for years in the heat, humidity, etc. Now here's my 2011 German car looking like a civic from 1997 aside from the "superior MFD" which is beginning to look like every other car these days anyway. The sunglass holder is cheap, had to replace that since it wouldn't stay up after a while and even the new one is starting to do it. The GPS is cheap, headunit amp is cheap, speakers are cheap, door handles and window components are cheap. Hell, even the windshield is cheap as I'm on the third one of those and the laminate keeps separating at the edges creating tiny bubbles around the border.

As far as mechanical goes... try new long block, 2 PCVs, 1 water pump, 1 set of clutch packs, all coil packs (obvious one), A/C sensor needs to be replaced which could mean the compressor, blower and condenser too, coolant reservoir, injectors 1 and 3.

Hell even the exterior is cheap, the headlights, which are the $1k premium HID option have this crazing going on where they go from cool to hot too quickly and form micro-fissures all over the housing. Only fix is replacement.

Hate to say it, but past warranty, this car is definitely a money pit, and none of this was ever linked to my modifications being even a potential source, or accelerator. My MKV GTI was even worse. Don't get me started on the cam follower system they CHEAPED OUT on. VW has gone the way of the "polished turd". I would never considering owning one of these cars outside of a bumper to bumper coverage ever again after this one.

Wow. I have had a completely different experience with my 2012 model. It still looks like it did the day it pulled off the lot at 115k no. Only major issue I've had was the cam bridge screen which broke out and scored up my camshaft and bearing. If I did not know how to fix it myself would of been a complete shitshow.but other than that really just regular maintenance

Uberryan

Banned
Wow. I have had a completely different experience with my 2012 model. It still looks like it did the day it pulled off the lot at 115k no. Only major issue I've had was the cam bridge screen which broke out and scored up my camshaft and bearing. If I did not know how to fix it myself would of been a complete shitshow.but other than that really just regular maintenance

That issue alone is becoming more common, and shouldn't be an issue to begin with... which is exactly my point. Of course will VW own up to their model's detrimental problems? Of course not... at least not until federally mandated to.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Wow I feel pretty lucky now lol. I've got a 2011 with 70k miles and have only had to do water pump, cyl 1 fuel injector, and HPFP. Covered under warranty thankfully. Also had the carbon cleaning service done while they were in there. Other than that, it's just been basic maintenance (oil, filters, battery, DSG fluid, brakes, rotors, bulbs, etc.)

Definitely not Japanese car reliable, but it's German so can't expect the same. At least my interior is holding up pretty well, even with a messy baby.

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
Well so far for me, 2013 GTI autobahn dsg 70k miles (bought at 57k) I’ve only had the waterpump go on me so far which was covered under warranty(literally went on me while stock and only after about 3 months of owning)...did a stage 2+ is tune/addons at around 60-63k and so far nothing else has gone wrong....cross my fingers lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phuccer1

Ready to race!
Sounds like personal problems to me. I'm at 137K miles and still running strong and still loving my interior. Besides the window switches that I agree are cheap little pieces of shit.

minorthreat55

Passed Driver's Ed
42K on my 2012 GTI. Bought it at 6K.

Haven't had to replace a damn thing, really.

Driver's side butt heater went bad, had that replaced.
Had the little waste gate clip thing (TSB) put on to stop a rattle.

That's it. Doesn't leak oil. No water pump yet. Timing chain seems OK. No weird noises.

Cheap plastics? Not compared to other cars in this segment. GTI interior is dope.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences, but it really sounds like you're whining a bit and you may stop someone who's interested in a GTI from getting a perfectly decent car.

I plan to keep mine until well over 100K as long as it stays decent.

clownish

just clowning around
I just rented a 2018 Ford Escape for 3 weeks for work and it felt like I was in a 2000 era vehicle. Each time I drove this thing I found myself wondering why on earth anyone would willingly walk into a Ford dealership and plunk down 15-25k (I have no idea how much a new one costs, nor am I going to waste time looking that up) for a brand new blah crossover thingy. Interior was garbage, from design to materials used, to geometry of steering wheel and mirror placement to seating positioning. It was utterly barely acceptable and that was about it.

So I too would disagree with you about the quality of the interior, even though I do agree with you about the reliability factor. Then to shoot myself in my own foot, my 2003 base model Infiniti FX35 had a few nicer features than my fully loaded 2013 GTI including automatic AC, fully automatic seats, real leather seats, real metal trimming on the interior, etc. Small touches like that make me a little irritated at the cost cutting we've seen over the years - even the mk5 interior has a few nicer touches than the mk6 does.

zrickety

The Fixer
Oil leaks? Vacuum leaks? Overheating? I've got 150k miles and never had any of these issues. I am also tuned K04. The interior of these cars are better than anything GM, Ford or Chrysler make. I replaced a radiator due to a small leak, never overheated. Mechanically, this has been the best car I've owned in 25 years.

CMGTI

Ready to race!

Hate to say it, but past warranty, this car is definitely a money pit, and none of this was ever linked to my modifications being even a potential source, or accelerator. My MKV GTI was even worse. Don't get me started on the cam follower system they CHEAPED OUT on. VW has gone the way of the "polished turd". I would never consider owning one of these cars outside of a bumper to bumper coverage ever again after this one.

Pretty much this. Im almost at 60K (got it at 43K, late 2015) and already went through 2 pumps, PCV, valve gasket, one coil pack went down (so replace all of them of course), while I was at it, went and got the tensioner upgraded. I already have a passenger HID headlight to replace my current one (have my fogs as my DRL for that reason), replacing my headliner is other thing I have to do and the door cards will be another project. Since ive spent already over 2K in preventative maintaince already, wont be getting rid of this car anytime soon.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Ill bite and TOTALLY AGREE with you. Ive had it since 2012, 90k, I love driving it, it's fucking awesome, especially with the mods.

That being said, I'll never buy another VW and I'll never let someone I love buy one either.

It has been the fucking definition of one thing after another. It never ends. I will never get ahead of it. I will never get to a point where everything is working perfectly and nothing is whining or squeaking or rattling.

Ive done intake manifold twice, jumped timing due to stretched chain that I had them check 100 times and they kept saying NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, 2 water pumps, an ECU, PCV valve, N75 valve, 3 horn replacements, radio, 2 injectors, door latch, window regulator, wiring harness, steering wheel that has never been and never will be perfectly straight, rattles rattles rattles rattles, decending into madness

and the AC in all of these is garbage just garbage

Last edited:

ben_m

Ready to race!
I'm shocked at some of the issues people are having.

Had the Water Pump replaced under warranty. Other than that solid. My only real complaint is the general aggravation of living with Low Profile tires in the North East. I've been through enough Rims/tires at this point. A set of 225/45/17 would be much better than the 18's.