GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I'll get to try it out in a year or so when I have to put the stock IM back on for the smog check. I'm not planning on changing tunes as stage 2 should pass emissions no problem.
I flashed back to Stage1 to test, a lot easier to drive coming off idle and the idle rpm is a tad bit lower.

EDIT: Flashing back to the IE Stage1 from Stage2 took ~10 minutes using the IE PowerLink V3 Dongle. If you don't have Ross Tech VDCS, you can use the IE PowerLink V3 to to Clear your OBD error codes as well as Data Log you engine operating data and export to a CSV file, real geek stuff.... or nerd stuff, or whatever.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Found this HEP 2.5 SRI Intake Manifold on eBay, anyone thinking about going Turbo this is the intake manifold to have, originally sold for over $1000, very rare, similar if not the same specs as the United Motorsport IM, it is has a larger plenum volume than the IE and has documented best turbo horse power charts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEP-vw-2-5...h=item1cc2638258:g:lw4AAOSwgotcAf7M:rk:2:pf:0

Not affiliated with the sale in any way, just passing on the info.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Curious what intake you're running as I thought I remember you selling the p-flow
Click on MINE below. Anyone can build it for cheap, the most costly thing is the Skunk2 Bell Mouth/ Filter. I believe it is only an inch or so shorter than the IE CAI.

Yup lengthing the intake pipe works a bit, several inches longer than MINE. Kinda in between the Integrated Engineering Cold Air Intake and the Afe Power intake that follows the intake tract length of the Stock VW Engine Cover/Filter.

Last edited:

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
@ MLue does having the breather filter introduce any fumes into your cabin? I've been thinking about redoing my DIY intake, since I'm not really feeling the hack job I did the first time around.

In other news, started my car this morning and was welcomed with a low coolant level. Thought there was a weird smell in my car, but it's a bit hard to tell with my air freshener in there as well. Fingers crossed there's no weird leaks!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
@ MLue does having the breather filter introduce any fumes into your cabin? I've been thinking about redoing my DIY intake, since I'm not really feeling the hack job I did the first time around.

In other news, started my car this morning and was welcomed with a low coolant level. Thought there was a weird smell in my car, but it's a bit hard to tell with my air freshener in there as well. Fingers crossed there's no weird leaks!
No fumes unless you have a Catch Can vented to air.

The breather i have in the picture is the oil filter housing vent, the hose is big bit but the actual inside diameter is only a few millimeters.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion

The breather allows air into the engine. Think of the oil filter breather and the PCV line as creating a big loop with air going in a single direction, fresh air into the engine at the breather and crankcase air coming out of the engine at the pcv valve. The oil breather is actually a very small hole down by the oil filter and there is a little spring and plate that act as a check valve.

Edit: My point with this was that if vapors are coming out the oil filter breather something is broken as you can blow air in the breather but not suck air out (which is actually a good check to see if something disconnected down there).

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The breather allows air into the engine. Think of the oil filter breather and the PCV line as creating a big loop with air going in a single direction, fresh air into the engine at the breather and crankcase air coming out of the engine at the pcv valve. The oil breather is actually a very small hole down by the oil filter and there is a little spring and plate that act as a check valve.

Edit: My point with this was that if vapors are coming out the oil filter breather something is broken as you can blow air in the breather but not suck air out (which is actually a good check to see if something disconnected down there).
Great explanation as always, great idea to just disconnect and check for oil where the breather line connects at the Oil Filter Assembly.

I checked with a few VW Dealer Techs, they've never replaced the Oil Filter Assembly coz of a failed breather, it's usually because the plastic threads get damaged/worn over the years of removing the Oil Filter and incorrect over torquing.

As well, they are seeing more and more instances when the Oil Filter Assembly (Part# 07K115397D) to block rubber seal (Part# 07K115441) start to leak. People freek out when they tighten the oil Filter but there is still an oil leak after the change but it's not the oil filter that is leaking, it is the Oil Filter Assembly to block rubber seal (torque is 25 Nm or about 19 ft-lbs).

EDIT: I saw in some VW Manuals that the Oil Filter Assembly is called the Oil Filter Bracket.
* Oil Filter Housing to Oil Filter Assembly (Oil Filter Bracket), torque is 25 Nm or about 19 ft-lbs
* Oil Filter Drain Plug with new washer, torque is 30 Nm or 22 ft-lbs

Last edited:

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Had a multitude of issues yesterday, my intake fell off, so I've ordered new parts to properly redo the intake instead of using the cut-up stock intake tube.
Was installing the H7RC kit from deAutokey that I picked up with 20% off and snapped one of the metal connectors in the bulb harness, leaving me with no passenger light (the HID's on the driver side are fantastic though!). Luckily I reached out to deAuto and they're graciously sending me free replacements and spare parts, only charging me for cost of shipping! +1 to deAutokey for above and beyond customer service.
Topped up some coolant yesterday, and will be keeping an eye for leaks in the next while as well. Didn't see any leaks yesterday, so fingers crossed there aren't any underlying issues.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Had a multitude of issues yesterday, my intake fell off, so I've ordered new parts to properly redo the intake instead of using the cut-up stock intake tube.
Was installing the H7RC kit from deAutokey that I picked up with 20% off and snapped one of the metal connectors in the bulb harness, leaving me with no passenger light (the HID's on the driver side are fantastic though!). Luckily I reached out to deAuto and they're graciously sending me free replacements and spare parts, only charging me for cost of shipping! +1 to deAutokey for above and beyond customer service.
Topped up some coolant yesterday, and will be keeping an eye for leaks in the next while as well. Didn't see any leaks yesterday, so fingers crossed there aren't any underlying issues.
Chances are you have a radiator leak, if you remove the two top torx screws holding the cooling fan to the radiator to may see the traces of pink coolant on the fins.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Finished changing up the intake.