GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remote Start?

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
its a pretty straight forward install. If you know what to do. If it were me, look for the E9 by Encore (shameless plug) and then use the ADS-AL-CA flashed with the VW1 firmware. You will need to use your valet key inside of a Universal Bypass Module such as the Autopage UBM-3 (this is what i use on the VW)

E9 has better range, nicer remotes, and more programming features. Same wiring as the 730 (color wise) and has more outputs. 1/2 mile range also through the 2 way remote. 730 gets 1000-1200 feet.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
its a pretty straight forward install. If you know what to do. If it were me, look for the E9 by Encore (shameless plug) and then use the ADS-AL-CA flashed with the VW1 firmware. You will need to use your valet key inside of a Universal Bypass Module such as the Autopage UBM-3 (this is what i use on the VW)

E9 has better range, nicer remotes, and more programming features. Same wiring as the 730 (color wise) and has more outputs. 1/2 mile range also through the 2 way remote. 730 gets 1000-1200 feet.

Okay, you lost me at valet key in the universal bypass module, what?:confused:

Edit: E9 sounds better, thanks for the plug, I was looking for one with a nicer screen, but amazon is pretty limited, and googling remote start was just a never ending stream of the cheap ones! Thanks!

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
ok here we go:

http://www.idatalink.com/firmware/f...e_model_id/562/package_type/0/vehicle_id/5955

click link above for the DOORLOCK AND FACTORY ALARM INTEGRATION MODULE, also click guide to see the install requirements and see what it controls.

http://autopageusa.com/t_inside.cfm...5&prodID=7edfdfe4-e8d1-4c83-b78d-1458c7c84ae5

This is what you need to put your valet key into (thats what i use on the vw vehicles)

http://www.encoreautomotivesystems.com/Encore_Automotive_Systems/Model_E9.html

this is what i have been running for over 18 months.........works perfect. Batteries also last about 4 months in the E9 remote versus 30 days for the 730 remote. Just so you know.

I did the beta testing and helped in the design of the Encore systems before they came out.

P.S. The CEO, VP, Dir of Sales, Dir of Tech all used to work for autopage at some point....... thats why i know the main differences. ;)

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Ah, so I have to stick the valet key in there for the system to even work? Is there a chip in the key or something in it that needs to be there so the auto start will work, because without the chip near the car it won't start yeah?

Looks like E9 is the way to go too, thanks for the plug, shameless or not ;)

Edit: As far as a DIY project, how hard would this be for an extreme novice at installing these? I've seen your replies in the other threads, you make it sound like it's pretty straight forward and easy

pgard1

Ready to race!
This thread has peaked my interest. Living in AZ really makes you think about remote start to cool off the car as you are walking up to it. And the fact that the GTI automatically starts up with A/C on (at least for me it does), this would be a welcome addition for me. Are there any DIY's for this?

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
this is technically not a DIY project AT ALL!!!

Yes i know i make it sound easy, but it really isnt if you dont understand the products.

22+ years of this stuff, and stuff may SOUND like it is easy but not this one.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
This thread has peaked my interest. Living in AZ really makes you think about remote start to cool off the car as you are walking up to it. And the fact that the GTI automatically starts up with A/C on (at least for me it does), this would be a welcome addition for me. Are there any DIY's for this?

anywhere near phoenix?? i have someone close that can handle that for you there. I have someone in mesa too.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
i will say this, it is one of the least invasive installs, considering the amount of wiring it is. it is really a total of 10 wires total. And if you have a euro switch, it is even easier.

Maybe i should make a kit with this for people to do????? with pictures???

interesting.

pgard1

Ready to race!
anywhere near phoenix?? i have someone close that can handle that for you there. I have someone in mesa too.

Yep... I live in NW valley, north Peoria.

DIY request was really to gauge the amount of wiring that is needed. If this is more intensive than say an aftermarket amp install, then I'd be more inclined to have a professional install this.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
Yep... I live in NW valley, north Peoria.

DIY request was really to gauge the amount of wiring that is needed. If this is more intensive than say an aftermarket amp install, then I'd be more inclined to have a professional install this.

one of our lead technical support guys is in phoenix. Let me know if you really want it done. I can promise you he is phenominal when it comes to this stuff. It is not a shop, since we work remotely though. as an fyi

pgard1

Ready to race!
one of our lead technical support guys is in phoenix. Let me know if you really want it done. I can promise you he is phenominal when it comes to this stuff. It is not a shop, since we work remotely though. as an fyi

Whats a ballpark cost figure for this type of setup?

Brianjed_TDi

i will say this, it is one of the least invasive installs, considering the amount of wiring it is. it is really a total of 10 wires total. And if you have a euro switch, it is even easier.

Maybe i should make a kit with this for people to do????? with pictures???

interesting.

Not a bad idea. There are plenty of DYIers that might take the plunge. Heck if you coud make it plug and play, I would buy ASAP