GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Spoiler Help

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone happen to have this spoiler installed?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/sport-style-hatch-spoiler-carbon-fiber/015436ecs04-01~a/

Or any equivalent ebay one that sits completely over the top side of the existing GTI spoiler.

I've installed this a few times using 3m double sided adhesive tape but just cant get fitment to be perfect, or even good at that.
It seems to fit good without tape but I can never get it to line up once on.

Anyone have any advice?

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
I have this spoiler but bought it from ebay. I didn't use 3m tape to install it instead I used 3m window weld which my spoiler fits perfect. It hasn't moved or budge at all.

RosieMk6

Having the same problem with mine from ecs, did you ever figure out anything that works good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I don't have the same one, but it's a similar design since it covers the oem spoiler. I literally had to stack 3m tape like 4 layers tall to get mine to stick. Otherwise the tape wouldn't have even done anything.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
I don't have the same one, but it's a similar design since it covers the oem spoiler. I literally had to stack 3m tape like 4 layers tall to get mine to stick. Otherwise the tape wouldn't have even done anything.

I was thinking about this.
Does it hold pretty firm?

When I attempted a single layer of 3m tape mine wouldn't lay flat/even no matter what, with two layers I at least had it installed somewhat even.

I guess I'll try adding more and see if I that'll allow me to have enough material to try and mold the correct fit.

Which areas of the fender did you end up taping?
All the edges or just a few critical spots?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I was thinking about this.
Does it hold pretty firm?

When I attempted a single layer of 3m tape mine wouldn't lay flat/even no matter what, with two layers I at least had it installed somewhat even.

I guess I'll try adding more and see if I that'll allow me to have enough material to try and mold the correct fit.

Which areas of the fender did you end up taping?
All the edges or just a few critical spots?

I've got 2 strips going across the majority of the spoiler. I know at least one of those strips is 4 layers tall, the strip more towards the back might only be 2 or 3 layers.

Then I put a couple strips to hold down the sides/ends and again those are layered at least twice.

It's been holding on fine for the last 6 months.

OlderSlower

When carbon fiber spoilers don't line up just right the wonderful 3M tape isn't the best tool for the job. I had to take my R to the body shop where they glued it on and have had no issues since. If you are stacking tape it is likely to fall off some day. Just saying...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
When carbon fiber spoilers don't line up just right the wonderful 3M tape isn't the best tool for the job. I had to take my R to the body shop where they glued it on and have had no issues since. If you are stacking tape it is likely to fall off some day. Just saying...

The glue seemed a lot more permanent and much more of a hassle if you decide to remove it. I considered it since it seems like it'd be a lot easier to install it that way, but I'd kinda rather use the tape and risk this thing flying off. It wouldn't be the first time I've had a spoiler fall off lol

OlderSlower

As I recall it was around $200 because the carbon fiber spoiler held its shape and needed to be clamped and glues because it wasn't a perfect fit. of course if you want to be able to remove it don't glue it. I love my spoiler and so I glued it...