GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How difficult is it to sell parts

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
What caused the salvage title? Is there heavy damage we are not seeing in the photo?

Salvage + “Dead Motor”....I’d see this being worth $2-3k tops to the right buyer as-is. Almost guaranteed to make more than that parting out.

Yes, I would give 2k for it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Parts sell...but it takes time. Shipping can be a pain, but for the right parts buyers will pay. Get a free fedex account, they give you a discount. You'll make quite a bit if you're willing to do the work.
That said, I would probably fix the engine and try to sell it whole.

Nucleo

I say to keep it, it looks to be in good condition and motors do take time to find but theres lots of people out there selling long blocks reasonably priced. There's also Youtube videos that show how to remove engine on a MK6 and it'll be easier and less of a hassle than a part out. Took me a while to part out a GLI and I still have misc parts laying around lol. Would not do again though.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I've got super clean front cloth seats for a 4 dr. that I've been trying to sell for nearly 2 years now. They're priced reasonable and don't move, lol.

If you have things priced that appear to be a steal, aka super damn low, they will move, lol.

ben_m

Ready to race!
How does a car be given a Salvage title for blown motor? I thought that usually comes from Accident/water damage/theft?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

qwop

Quick thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I just got overwhelmed with the project and got too emotional. I've decided im going to fix the car. Humble mechanic just posted a video of a cylinder block teardown so that's probably going to be SUPER helpful. Going to see if I can find why the piston burned first before I buy a block or whatever I need.

I got this car salvage off of Copart for cheap... maybe it was deemed a lemon??? I have been doing enough work on the car to confidently say there really is no other damage. There is no rust on this thing; its like this car has been babied.

qwop

Just wanted to give an update:

Took some time but with some extra hands I was able to get the engine and trans out of the car! Had a hiccup where this old engine stand I borrowed from my dad (probably hasn't been used in many years) seems to no longer go up or down.... Luckily the engine is light enough that using 2 jack stands and some extra help we got the engine out no problems.

Now at this point I'm going to try to figure out the culprit for that piston burning out. I have heard of problems with piston ring tolerances but of course the main issue that needs to be checked out is if those cylinder walls are good and correctly shaped. Might just need pistons or might need a whole short block.
IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Nice job, keep going. I'm glad you decided to save this car. It was too nice to part out & throw away.

No idea why that piston is burned like that. Spark knock for a long time? Running lean on that cylinder?