GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need an objective opinion (deciding between two GTIs to purchase)

RND1

Passed Driver's Ed
It has the updated tensioner. When the intake manifold was handled under warranty, the VW techs said the intake valves looked pretty clean, so I guess the carbon cleaning has already been done. Chain stretch is at 2.75°, so I'll be good for a little while.

Thanks for the update. I have a buddy who is an Audi tech so he looked up the service history for the one I'm considering. In 50k miles, it's had intake manifold, water pump, pcv, and fuel injectors replaced. Tensioner and chain are original.

On one hand, I'm glad to see the prior owner was proactive with maintenance, but on the other hand, I'm now having second thoughts as if it needed this kind of maintenance/repair in only 50k miles, what's it going to be like over the next 100k???

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the update. I have a buddy who is an Audi tech so he looked up the service history for the one I'm considering. In 50k miles, it's had intake manifold, water pump, pcv, and fuel injectors replaced. Tensioner and chain are original.

On one hand, I'm glad to see the prior owner was proactive with maintenance, but on the other hand, I'm now having second thoughts as if it needed this kind of maintenance/repair in only 50k miles, what's it going to be like over the next 100k???

if i were to project it for you... id say another intake manifold and a water pump would be the only other major re-dos on that list.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
It has the updated tensioner. When the intake manifold was handled under warranty, the VW techs said the intake valves looked pretty clean, so I guess the carbon cleaning has already been done. Chain stretch is at 2.75°, so I'll be good for a little while.

if i were to project it for you... id say another intake manifold and a water pump would be the only other major re-dos on that list.

To give some additional perspective, I had similar things like the manifold, water pump and HPFP go on my ride before 60K miles. I've still had some issues since, but it seems like it's gotten stronger as the mileage has piled up. The more recent issues have been a PCV and wheel bearings. Also, not counting the two carbon cleanings I've had done.

I guess the bottom line is...you just don't know what's going to come up and just because it was on the higher end earlier, it doesn't mean the same holds true down the road.

Also, for the record, I had my chain stretch checked in the last 10K miles or so and it was -2.10. I assume you mean that yours is at -2.75, not 2.75.

torga

Autocross Champion
Also, for the record, I had my chain stretch checked in the last 10K miles or so and it was -2.10. I assume you mean that yours is at -2.75, not 2.75.
Yes, I meant -2.75°. I figured the negative cam angle was implied with stretch.