GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Valve Cleaning - Media Blast Tips

dcpppf

Ready to race!
So I just ticked over 50k a month or so ago and within a week got my first CEL.. misfires. I swapped coil packs around and replaced plugs. Only misfires I've had have been isolated to cylinders 3 and 4 so I'm damn confident it is just carbon buildup.

I'm planning to do the cleaning weekend after next and am continuing to prepare. I need to get the injector seal kits on order along with the walnut media. But I was hoping some who may have more experience w/ the process and/or media blasting could offer some insight to build my confidence a bit more before I start.

I bought the below media blaster. From what I've read it doesn't need to be anything too special to get the job done right. My concern is the nozzle being so short. I'm not real sure how far in to the intake valve I will need to get to maintain the force in the walnuts for a good cleaning. Aside from that I'll be taping up adjacent intake ports and the air intake to keep dust ingress to a minimum. Along with a shop vac as close as I can get it to suck up as much as possible.

So making sure I have the right tools is the biggest worry, followed by the injector seals... I'm hoping if I swing by the local VW service department I'll run in to a good guy who can hook me up on the fly if necessary.

Thanks for any further insight/tips/info in advance.

link to blaster: https://www.harborfreight.com/gravity-feed-blaster-gun-93221.html

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I found a good writeup awhile back from a BMW forum since their DI cars have the same carbon build-up issue. The PDF has info on how to make a nozzle/shroud system to blast and collect walnut shells with a shopvac. Should be easily adapted to our engines.

See if the link below works:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yTy9Y8rEBFbS1U9V9qPXPFCYmIAa-Lx7/view?usp=sharing

Also check out Neopork's TSI carbon cleaning guide for info specific to our engines.
https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199802

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Thank you for the links! I'd seen that .pdf in the past for the mini but sadly didn't take the time to go through it as in depth as I did a moment ago. That shop vac setup is killer... I was planning on just holding the vac as close to the inlet as I could haha. I'll be mocking something up this weekend on that front. And I bought that 2' blow gun extension when I got the blaster in hopes it would mate up. The extension however was 1/4" and the blaster something bigger (3/8"?), but I assumed that the 1/4" was going to be too small to work. Guess I'll be picking up some pipe fittings and media to do trial runs since that sounds more promising now. Definitely sounds like I'll need to get further in there than the 2-3" tip that came with the gun.

And as for Neopork's info... That was the best description on the DIY teflon seal i'd seen haha. Feel like most people who didn't have the tool were using fingers or zip ties some how. I'm hoping one of the local euro shops will say that they have those seal kits on hand and can provide/install day of for something reasonable if i bring in my injectors.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
I have been doing the injectors for years without a tool. You can just stretch them on with some force. Also, be sure you have a triple square bit for the support bracket on the bottom of the intake manifold. Having a few pick tools is a good idea to get any carbon that's really stuck. An air blower works well for cleaning out any left over walnut media from the intake ports.
Careful with the water pump when you pull the intake manifold, there is sensor connector under the intake that is easy to miss and it breaks when you pull the intake off. Hopefully this helps

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I have been doing the injectors for years without a tool. You can just stretch them on with some force. Also, be sure you have a triple square bit for the support bracket on the bottom of the intake manifold. Having a few pick tools is a good idea to get any carbon that's really stuck. An air blower works well for cleaning out any left over walnut media from the intake ports.
Careful with the water pump when you pull the intake manifold, there is sensor connector under the intake that is easy to miss and it breaks when you pull the intake off. Hopefully this helps

I just use a pen or socket to stretch them a bit then then use a zip tie to compress them into the grove

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
If you use the BMW shroud you'll need a longer tip.

Also don't forget to close each valve before blasting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion
C’mon, just the tip...[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Lol thanks for the tips everyone. Definitely helping build the confidence. I ended up spending half of my saturday tinkering with the blaster. That thing is pretty darn finicky but I think once I get started I'll find a groove. I tapped/died the 2' extension tip on the the tip that came on the blaster but seems like I have to have things juuuust right or the media won't make it through.

I've seen enough to be comfortable w/ the manifold removal; especially after hearing more and more positives about DIY'ing the injector sealing. But the blasting worries me a bit. I figure worst case I can run to the store and pick up chemicals to soak if that doesn't pan out.

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
I tried the blaster without all the right attachments. It was a mess. Went with chemicals(gumcutter). Spray let soak then scrape away. Pretty easy.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Yeah those 3D printed ones are common for the BMWs/Mini DIY's I've seen. One site sold them along with a tip extension specifically for the HFT media blast kit lol. That is essentially what the guy in the 1st link from Tony48 (post #2) made out of a PVC 90* elbow and a home made "flange". I've got some scraps laying around so I think I can throw something together that'll work alright.

But that does look awfully convenient!

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Did the cleaning this weekend... Fought with the media blast setup for probably 45 minutes then said screw it and went and bought 3 cans of carb cleaner.

I had my cheap HFT one with the hopper on top along with the other "bucket style" that sits on the ground with a hose up to the gun. Can't see anything with either one and with the modified tips both were very hit or miss. Couldn't get them to work consistently and since I was flying blind it was a nightmare.

The carb cleaner worked really well though. Will post up some pics later.

zrickety

The Fixer
Just curious, what kind of media did you use? The Mini guys swear by walnut.