GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burning Oil Smell when hitting boost

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
I own a 2012 mk6 gti Unitronic Stage 2. Yesterday I decided to have a little fun and put that pedal down. Around 5-6k rpm there was a little bit of white smoke and a smell of burning oil. This doesn’t happen every time I hit boost or go to a high rpm. Checked oil levels and coolant levels and they’re all good. No signs of coolant in the oil. I did have an oil change recently around 700 miles ago. What I’ve read up on it may be a turbo going bad or a head gasket both serious issues. Need to get to the bottom of this asap. Thanks!

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
Most likely the turbo. My GTI did the same thing under boost and the seals were going on the turbo. The way to check is to pull the down pipe off and look into the exhaust side and see if there is oil build up. White build up means it is burning oil in the combustion chamber (engine related), and black oily build up is turbo seals dumping oil into the exhaust.
Also, pull the turbo outlet pipe and check for oil in there. There should only be a slight oily residue, if there is enough to drip out you likely have a bad turbo.

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
Interesting. I did just install a forge twintercooler and when working on the turbo outlet pipe I did see oil residue inside the pipe. Is that normal? And yes there was enough oil to collect together and drip out. Probably several small drops. Probably pulling of dp is best bet just gotta find the time.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Oil in the turbo out pipe is 100% normal. PCV burps air laced with oil particulates into the intake pipe, which takes it through into the turbo oil pipe.
Unless oil literally pours out of the turbo out pipe, you're fine.

Golfr20

Passed Driver's Ed
So I get this sometimes but never noticed any smoke, have noticed a whine down in the lower rev ranges which I assumed was just intake or engine noise where it's building rev's slowly.

Any ideas, I've pulled the oil plug and no white residue or anything beneath it. Are there any other signs that it could be head gasket or the turbo without checking the down pipe?

Id like to check myself but mechanic skills are minimal

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
The thing is I no longer have a pcv. I replaced it with the cts turbo catch can so the excess oil should be getting caught.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
unfortunately catch cans don't seem to really mitigate the issue. I cleaned the crap out of my intercooler and piping and was still getting oil residue dripping from the inlet to intercooler pipe

in for more on this because i am smelling oil more and more after a pull or when i come to a stop. was recently down a few QUARTs on oil. No white smoke, no puddling in the driveway. Like where the F is it all going lol. Is my IC just chok-full of oil now?

torga

Autocross Champion
I would check your O-Rings. I still got residue after I installed the can.
Then I installed a turbo out pipe and made sure to install new O-Rings for the intercooler inlet/outlet, as well as up near the turbo muffler. It's been 1.5 months and my splash guard is clean. Whereas before, it'd have oily residue within a week of cleaning.

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
I haven’t lost any oil since the change. All I get it that burning oil smell after a hard pull every once in a blue moon.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
The thing is I no longer have a pcv. I replaced it with the cts turbo catch can so the excess oil should be getting caught.
I've seen catch cans cause smoking on some cars. Usually depends on the condition of the engine though. A worn engine with more blowby can smoke with a catch can. This is due to the lack of vacuum at idle and cruising. Crankcase gases build up and cause oil return line issues. Then the oil pushes past the turbo seals into the exhaust. Try swapping the Oem pcv back on for a few days and see if that fixes it.

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
I would have to buy a new unit. My previous pcv failed which is why I got the catch can in the first place. Engine has 40k on it. Car has 120.

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
Replacing the turbo might be my best move here. Waste gate is getting more and more play by the day even with that clip on :mad: . The hunt continues!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
When you delete the PCV, you increase crankcase pressure--which means more air, more oil. The baffle designs of most catch cans aren't good (mishimoto makes a good can that has a 10-15 micron filter), thus the increased velocity from the increase in crankcase pressure carries the oil right past your catch can and into your intercooler. Keep the front connection to the manifold to keep blow by and crankcase pressures to a minimum. A little oil from that connection isn't going to hurt anything...it only opens off throttle/idle

torga

Autocross Champion
Are you saying that even with a catch can that's designed to delete the front connection, it should be kept in conjunction with the catch can?