GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant loss

Weah

Hi everyone,

I have had a problem with loosing coolant for a while now. My local dealers are unable to figure it out. The following has been done before to try solve problem

- Water pump replacement
- Oil cooler replacement (there was oil coming to the coolant reservoir)
- Cooling system under pressure overnight to detect leaks (none found)
- Replaced heater core (was suggested to be replaced cause AC was not heating, dealer said coolant loss probably there as it is not circulating......this still seem to be the only logically item that can be faulty, any way one can isolate it without removing the whole dashboard?)
- Replaced coolant reservoir cap

There is not noticeable leakage and also not oil in the engine oil to indicate blown top gaskets.

Anyone has an idea what I must look out for? It seems car only looses coolant when driving. Parking it for a week there is not movement in coolant level.

Any idea will help right now.

Last edited:

demon342

Ready to race!
Just my 2 cents and might scare you but, head gasket? How did the bottom of the coolant cap look like when you replaced it?

Weah

Just my 2 cents and might scare you but, head gasket? How did the bottom of the coolant cap look like when you replaced it?

If head gasket is gone would water not find its way into the engine oil and pick it up when one pulls out the dip stick? There is none there, i think it would also form some kind of emulsion.

There was a point the coolant reservoir was full of oil. I replaced the oil cooler. There is still residue in the pipes i guess.