GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE catback has changed

Blue K04

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm on my 3rd catback (Magnaflow-didn't really like the fixed tips, Beluga Racing-restrictive and tips too low). I shelled out for a 3rd catback hoping it would be my last, but immediately noticed the tips don't adjust like they do in the install directions/website photos/user photos.
After installing and adjusting according to the directions, the tips were much lower than they should be and the muffler pipe was 1/4 inch from a cross member on the driver's side. After warming up it rattled and the tips still looked terrible.
I contacted AWE and they told me to take it to the nearest authorized dealer near me in Seattle which I did. They spent a full hour and were able to make the tips look better, but after the exhaust warmed up it was still rattling against the cross member.
After reporting back to AWE they told me maybe my APR downpipe was the problem. Really? Good luck telling every APR customer to get lost.
Final resolution- they told me I can pay a 20%($118) fee + shipping,on top of the $135 I already paid my local dealer (who I trust and has never let me down).
I understand a lot of people have had good luck with AWE but clearly they changed their design in order to save costs, and I'm the big loser. Their current MK6 GTI catback fits like absolute garbage and should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited:

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
Not many people have this...but it's almost identical to AWE (or what it used to be, if they have changed). Fitment is spot on and to be, sounds perfect. It's not too loud, so if you're looking for loud, this might not be for you. I've had this for about 3 yrs with no fitment issues, leaks, rust, or any issues. Wife also has it on her A3 (mk5 version) for the same amount of time with no issues.

https://www.eurosportacc.com/collections/exhaust/products/17706gss