GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust manifold stub breaking possibility

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
For all those who have upgraded to K04 and/or changed turbos.
How likely is it for the stud to break?

There seems to be a fair amount of post about it but just wondering what the real numbers are like.

I may have to replace my turbo, possibly k04 upgrade, and just want to see how realistic this concern is.
Car has always lived in central cali, minimal rusting conditions, if that matters.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Shit mine broke on stock turbo no tune.
Snapped in half in my head. Shop had to drop my front axle and roll my engine forward to get at it so they could extract it and put on new exhaust manifold gasket and studs. It was farthest driver side stud.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Driver stud seems to be a major issue. Have seen guys on here saying they had to pay to have their engine removed or head removed to reach it since it snapped flush. Nice trick on rolling the engine forward though. Still prob cost a pretty penny. If I were to think of removing the nut I'd prob soak it in PB blaster multiple times for days ahead of time then maybe hit it with a torch before trying to loosen it.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Driver stud seems to be a major issue. Have seen guys on here saying they had to pay to have their engine removed or head removed to reach it since it snapped flush. Nice trick on rolling the engine forward though. Still prob cost a pretty penny. If I were to think of removing the nut I'd prob soak it in PB blaster multiple times for days ahead of time then maybe hit it with a torch before trying to loosen it.
Yep i needed it though because its my dd. Paid $1700 and some change.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
I soaked them overnight with aerokroil. It took no effort to remove the nuts and studs. Maybe I was lucky?? I believe the manifold nuts are only torqued down to 25 ft lbs so as long as you don’t crank on it like a raped ape you should be good to go. Btw PB Blaster is not what it used to be, try my recommendation above and it may save you a lot of time AND grief. It was recommended to me from the person (GE aerospace employee) I bought my k04 from, well worth it!!!

Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil, 10 oz. aerosol (AEROKROIL) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F09CEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0l0FCbCSN98VK

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I soaked them overnight with aerokroil. It took no effort to remove the nuts and studs. Maybe I was lucky?? I believe the manifold nuts are only torqued down to 25 ft lbs so as long as you don’t crank on it like a raped ape you should be good to go. Btw PB Blaster is not what it used to be, try my recommendation above and it may save you a lot of time AND grief. It was recommended to me from the person (GE aerospace employee) I bought my k04 from, well worth it!!!

Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil, 10 oz. aerosol (AEROKROIL) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F09CEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0l0FCbCSN98VK
Good tip ty m8. Oir stids broke off but you could still use oil and an extractor.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
My driver's side stud was broken before I even tried to remove it. I was able to extract it without pulling the head/engine but it was so painful I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy :mad0259: It took 8hrs of attempts welding blind/using a mirror with the MIG gun jammed between the firewall and head.

I have some pictures/description of how I managed in post #162 of my build thread.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
My driver's side stud was broken before I even tried to remove it. I was able to extract it without pulling the head/engine but it was so painful I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy :mad0259: It took 8hrs of attempts welding blind/using a mirror with the MIG gun jammed between the firewall and head.

I have some pictures/description of how I managed in post #162 of my build thread.
Exactly my fear so i just brought it to shop and said im sorry.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
It was recommended to me from the person (GE aerospace employee) I bought my k04 from, well worth it!!!

Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil, 10 oz. aerosol (AEROKROIL) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F09CEA..._0l0FCbCSN98VK

This is the best penetrating oil I have ever used bar none. I've tried them all over the years.

Thanks for the recommendation guys, will definitely pick it up!

Exactly my fear so i just brought it to shop and said im sorry.

Shit mine broke on stock turbo no tune.
Snapped in half in my head. Shop had to drop my front axle and roll my engine forward to get at it so they could extract it and put on new exhaust manifold gasket and studs. It was farthest driver side stud.

Aha that why I'm scared to touch the turbo at the moment.
I want to do the work myself because its not too difficult of a procedure
but once that bolt snaps the job becomes 10x more difficult.

Do you guys have a recommendation of replacement studs?
Or any other way to ensure it wont happen later down the road.

I've heard some mixed reasons for it occurring from weak studs being used from factory to the stock exhaust manifold warping excessively when heating and cooling

GolNat

Autocross Champion

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
You can always get Mini-Ductor. I do like that Aerokroil.

http://www.theinductor.com/inductio...or/applications/exhaust-manifold-bolt-removal

Buy it and resell it to the next person who is removing the manifold. Pass it around lol

That's a nice product, but the price will choke most folks. I think a good old flame wrench would do it, if one works carefully.

Yea that's quite pricey for what it does.
There would be no resell it would sit in my garage forever after the one bolt.

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine was also broken with 83,000 miles on the car. Right at the head. A couple of tows and $400 later new stud was in.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Mine was driver side stud broken also @ 50k miles to install K04, didnt even take much effort...had a good shop extract it.