GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Boost gauge fix - another option

Jasinto

My AWE boost gauge quit working one day, and annoyingly, the gauge was pegged at 30psi, so the light was CONSTANTLY flashing at me. Since AWE no longer sells the sending unit for this gauge (even more annoying), I got creative.

I ordered a cheap sender unit from Amazon (it took a month to come in, thanks Taiwan!), but here is a link to the same part:
http://prosportgauges.com/electric-boost-sender.aspx

Cut the harness to the old AWE sending unit, and remove the unit. Splice the wires of the AWE harness to the new sending unit - just match up the colors, they're the same on both units.

Different sending units have different values, or are just adjusted incorrectly from the factory. Turn the key on (engine off), let the gauge do its sweep - mine was reading 10in/Hg, when it should be reading "around" zero. If it doesn't read "around" zero, take the cover off of the sending unit and you'll find this:

Adjust the 1k resistor until the gauge reads near zero. Bingo. Bob's your uncle. You're done.

I will say, it does seem to read slightly different, but its minimal and I'm very picky. Vacuum seems to be a bit lower (closer to zero) than usual, but boost is spot-on. In reality though, most dash gauges are just for reference and I don't feel that they should be completely trusted. Just my $.02

In case you're still trying to diagnose exactly what failed with your gauge, I'll give you my symptoms: The gauge would do a full sweep when I turned on the ignition, so I assumed the gauge itself was still good. After the sweep, the gauge read 30psi - first thing to check if your gauge is stuck in one position (yet still does the full sweep) is the vacuum line to the sending unit; make sure it isn't leaking or pinched anywhere. Since my boost pressure only goes to 24psi, and I hadn't done full boost in a while, I knew this couldn't be correct, and ordered the sending unit.