GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattles Coming from the Passenger Side

sunce868

Hi Guys,

I have searched the forum but still need some help on this. The rattling sound is driving me nuts!:mad::mad::mad:

It comes from the passenger side.
Sounds like it's coming from a lower position.
Only rattles at low speed when the road is bumpy - 15mpg - 30mpg
Sounds like a piece of metal tapping a piece of glass. I held the window while driving but the sound didn't go away.
Or could come from the passenger side dash/AC hole??

I have not been able to locate the exact location of this sound. Have any of you experienced the same? Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you!

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
No promises, but I had a similar issue. I replaced the factory front mudflaps with RockBlockz. When I did, there was a screw that passed through the plastic liner piece that sits right behind the mudflap that was no longer needed, but I left it in place just in case. The tip of the screw was protruding up just enough through the plastic nut to make contact against the metal when I hit 40-50 mph and vibrated the liner just right. I had the passenger seat out, the door panel off, the fender liner out and was ready to run the car into a wall before I found it. Good luck!

sunce868

Thank you! I will definitely check that. I think mine's related to the passenger side window. I rolled down the window all the way and it felt the sound vibration stronger slightly more loose. I don't know how to describe it. I am also about to drive it into a wall!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Lol, I also get this from time to time. When I say time to time, that may just mean I've gotten so damn used to it that I don't notice it happening when it is. Super annoying.

I beat my initial rattles by swapping out my exhaust to a different one. This new one however is similar to yours. Passenger side, sounds like it's lower, and I have no idea exactly to pin point the sound.

I do have OEM mud flaps on however...

sunce868

Lol, I also get this from time to time. When I say time to time, that may just mean I've gotten so damn used to it that I don't notice it happening when it is. Super annoying.

I beat my initial rattles by swapping out my exhaust to a different one. This new one however is similar to yours. Passenger side, sounds like it's lower, and I have no idea exactly to pin point the sound.

I do have OEM mud flaps on however...

Thank you for the suggestions! I finally found the source today. Thank god! It turned out that it's the plastic panels of the passenger side wheel well. The clips came loose and the panels are moving around....