GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do our GTIs have a fuel cut-off @ redline?

Submerge

Ready to race!
I know its a silly question..especially since I'm not quite sure where our redline is..I have a '11 and strange (although cool looking) graphics for our tachometer. Is it 6000 rpm? 7000?

Reason I'm asking is because I downshifted and the tacho jumped to 6000 rpm, but no cut-off sputter, and seemed to climb to 6300-6400 without complaining.

In all my previous cars, once I hit redline (while under acceleration), the fuel will cut off, causing the motor to sputter.

Submerge

Ready to race!
Hmmmm...so I'm guessing the real redline is somewhere around 7K, where as the 6K redline is just a good "shifting point"? I'm guessing these motors loose steam above 6K?

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
we rev limit well before what you would consider a "redline"

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
we rev limit well before what you would consider a "redline"

What Bender means is that there is an electronic fuel cutoff (aka rev limit) well before we reach the mechanical limits of the engine. VW likes to play it VERY safe. Our stock rev limiter is about 6700-6800 RPM or so.

There are guys who have reflashed their transmission (for DSG) and ECU to have a rev limit of about 7200RPM or so. However, not much use unless you are K04 or beyond as we run out of steam way too early.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
lol...so when are we supposed to shift up?

Depends. You want to know where your power is and when you shift, you need to consider where do you land in the power band to optimize power in the current and next gear.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Compared to many other cars out there, 6700-6800 is actually pretty high, save for an S2K or more high end sports car.

potatohead

Ready to race!
If the car is stock you're fine shifting at 5800 - 6000, you can probably pull it a little further in first gear if you want.

D

Deleted member 103021

I feel the power drop a little after 6000. Maybe its because mines not a GTI. :(