GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR 2.0 TSI K04 v3.1 Software Now Available!

mGLIson

Passed Driver's Ed
If you have been following the v3.1 development we have been explaining forever why we have the torque limited down low. Its 100% intentional and we also tried very hard to make up for it by ensuring the power past the surge region is a monster. Not sure why they ended the 93 pull so early though. It was still climbing.

To Jamie's point, the power comes on in an almost perfect linear fashion resulting in a lot less wheel spin compared to the v2.0 and v3.0 Tune.

Here is an uphill pull that I shot just for kicks, the launch point is even on an uphill grade, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLHobBF7SR0 but pay attention to how little wheel spin there is.

You can see in plenty of my previous YouTube Videos that there is wheel spin all over the place when I had the v2 and v3 tune, but now it's greatly reduced due to the linear fashion in which the power is introduced. It also makes for much smoother acceleration coming out of corners on the track, which in the long run is great if you track your car because you won't be going through Tires like crazy!

Just more food, for more food, for more thought:thumbsup:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I can't deal with how unattractive they are! LOL! If I'm spending money on Wheels they have to at least look somewhat decent!:thumbsup:

You really think the RPF1 is unattractive? Damn, I really think it's the nicest looking motorsport wheel out there. If it came in normal MK6 sizes (18x8.5 et45) I'd be all over buying them.

On topic: I'm still loving the update Jamie. I have literally no issues or concerns. I've been wanting to do logs, but I feel like it runs so well that I don't want anything in the back of my head to think there is something wrong.

It's definitely faster all around than V2 and V3, which is fine for me since I was trapping 111 on 93 octane on V2. And with the warmer temps, the torque managment, BFG G-force sport comp2's and the Peloquin it hooks up REALLY WELL. Pretty excited on that front.

Anyway, thanks again :thumbsup:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
APR is pleased to present the APR Valve Spring System.

Product Page

The APR Valve Spring System is a high performance, lightweight upgrade designed to increase valve control and eradicate valve float common on many applications. APR’s design specifications called for a valve spring, retainer and spring seat combination that doesn’t overpower and snap the OEM valves or erode the aluminum spring seat, while still maintaining exceptional valve control. The result is an advanced design that’s 28% lighter yet 20% stiffer than the high performance OEM Golf R setup and is proven to eliminate the OEM valve train’s weakest link. We call it Performance Without Compromise!

Key Points:

• Increase valve train control
  • 71% weight reduction over OEM Golf R retainers
  • 19% weight reduction over OEM Golf R springs
  • 20% stiffness increase over OEM Golf R springs
  • Eradicates TSI K04 “valve float” issues
  • Supports higher revving applications
  • Weight saving beehive spring design
  • ASTM A877A OTSC round wire steel springs
  • 6AL4V American titanium retainers
  • 4140 heat-treated chrome molly steel spring seats with black oxide coating
  • 29 grams per spring
  • 2 grams per retainer
  • Compatible with OEM valves
  • Spring seats included to protects against aluminum erosion in the head

Valve Springs

Weight reduction, and not necessary stiffness, is absolutely necessary to increasing valve control. The APR Valve Spring utilizes a beehive design that allows for a reduction in mass in not only the spring itself, but also through use of a smaller titanium retainer. The springs feature an ovate wire design that allows for even stress distribution resulting in better control at high RPMs through a resistance of harmful valve float inducing harmonics. The lightweight design also accomplishes accurate valve control without requiring an overly stiff spring which has been proven to snap OEM valves in half. Each valve spring weights 29 grams and represents a 19% weight reduction over the OEM Golf R spring. The result is a highly engineered design that’s simply plug and play!

Valve Spring Retainers

Through the use of a beehive design, APR’s Engineers were able to design and supply a valve spring retainer that’s smaller than stock to reduce weight as much as possible. In an effort to offer extreme weight savings, at an additional 71% over the OEM Golf R retainers, American 6AL4V titanium was used for its high specific strength weighing in at only 2 grams each. By offering outstanding weight savings, exceptional valve control characteristic are achieved while only requiring a modest 20% increase in stiffness over the OEM Golf R spring.

Valve Spring Seats

Often an overlooked piece of an upgraded valve train is the valve spring seat. The factory heads are aluminum, and unfortunately increased spring pressure can distort or erode the mating surface overtime as they mate directly to the bare head. To prevent this from happening, APR’s Engineers designed valve spring seats out of 4140 heat-treated chrome molly steel with a black oxide coating. The spring seats are strong enough to withstand pressure from the springs and provide a mating surface that evenly distributes spring load across a larger area than the spring it self, allowing an increased spring rate without negative side effects to the aluminum head.

Eliminating Valve Float

It’s not uncommon to experience valve float with the OEM valve springs, even below the OEM rev limit. On some applications like the 2.0 TSI, backpressure from the K04 turbocharger has been known to force the exhaust valves open. This has been noticed on vehicles with overly weak OEM valve springs and some with higher miles that have simply lost their stiffness over time.

This issue accompanies misfires commonly above 5000 RPM. In some extreme cases, valves are forced open and the vehicle ceases accelerating any further. A quick datalog of intake mass airflow and boost pressure at wide open throttle will show a sudden rise in boost pressure with an immediate loss of airflow as pressure from the open valves is pushed back into the intake manifold.

On other applications, valve float can begin to occur just beyond the OEM rev limit. While other components, such as higher strength valves are often required for extremely high revving applications, the APR Valve Spring System will eliminate float well beyond the revving constraints set forth by the other components.

Application Guide

APR Valve Springs, Valve Seats and Valve Retainers
Set of 16 Intake / Exhaust
1.8T & 2.0T (EA113 & EA888 G1/2)
MS100085
$599.99

Set of 20 Intake / Exhaust
2.5 TFSI & 2.5L I5
MS100089
$749.99

Set of 24 Intake / Exhaust
3.0 TFSI & 3.2L FSI V6
MS100090
$899.99

Set of 32 Intake / Exhaust
4.0 TFSI & 4.2L FSI V8
MS100091
$1,199.99

Set of 40 Intake / Exhaust
5.0 TFSI & 5.2L FSI V10
MS100092
$1,499.99

Charlotte CC

Ready to race!
How about a really nice DIY book for people looking to install the valve springs themselves.

Charlotte CC

Ready to race!

tom@aptuning

VW Service & Performance
Anyone considered this VP fuel additive. Says it would treat 10 gallons of 93 into 100 octane. Maybe a good way to try the 100 file every once in awhile.

http://mad.vp-sef.com/index.php/octanium#

Id like to see someone try this and log it. It is borderline to hit 100oct. In one of their own tests it came back at like 99.1 or something. Might work but I would be iffy on it when its like 90deg out.

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
Id like to see someone try this and log it. It is borderline to hit 100oct. In one of their own tests it came back at like 99.1 or something. Might work but I would be iffy on it when its like 90deg out.

Arin told me to stay away from octane boosters. I wouldn't do it personally.

Charlotte CC

Ready to race!
Arin told me to stay away from octane boosters. I wouldn't do it personally.

I don't think this is the run of the mill wal-mart STP octane booster. Those raise octane like 1 number, this is supposed to be 8 or so on 10 gallons (32 oz. bottle).

If it works though, you have to admit , this would be much much more convenient than running your tank empty, then filling with $8 gallon stuff.

As mentioned, it has been tested to produce like 99 or 100 when mixed with 10 gallons of 93.

I think a bottle is like $15 to $20. Still way cheaper and more convenient than say GT260 or 100 at a pump.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
I looked online earlier and read a bit about it, and it says it's safe for o2 sensors and cats, so I'd guess it isn't a can full of MMT like the torco stuff

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
I filled up with 100 octane a few days ago while running on fumes. Put in about 40 miles and went ripping around a little bit today, good lord this file is fast! Very smooth, VERY quick as it eliminates a lot of the wheelspin. Even with tcs turned off it's very easy to modulate the throttle to make productive wheelspin through 1st and 2nd. 3rd gear simply rips hard and long. No chance to really take it al the way through 4th yet. I should have plenty of opportunity next weekend to log some 4th gear pulls.

The power kinda scares me a little. I'm thinking if I want to run the 100 file consistently I should put rods high on my list of priorities, may as well do springs while the engine is torn apart.