GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP clutch issue

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Seems like what Aaron said is right, once the clutch warms up its smooth sailing. Last time i took it to the shop they couldn't replicate the issue which sounds absurd since it does it to me all the time. We'll see what happens. Plus all those parts stated are new except the Brake reservoir.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
I had that problem BEFORE I got my southbound stage II endurance, since then its been fine except every now and then it'll pop out of 1st gear when I launch hard. The reason mine wasn't going into gear (or coming out of gear sometimes which was scary) was because my clutch slave cylinder was leaking like crazy. Keep an eye on your brake fluid reservoir and see if it changes at all. Also, keep in mind that the OEM hydraulic system wasn't made to handle an aftermarket clutch which sometimes requires higher fluid pressure. There are a couple of companies that make aftermarket slave and master cylinders that are a little more capable. When I replaced my slave cylinder I figured I'd just replace the clutch too since I was stage II and knew I would need one at some point in the future anyway. Mine is still and OEM slave cylinder, but its a new one, and I haven't run into many problems with it so far, and I'm not particularly gently with it a lot of the time.

Can you please post a link or other info on the couple of companies that make aftermarket slave and master cylinders. I am mostly interested in the possible aftermarket clutch master cylinder.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Still having the issue. On cold starts, cant get into any gear. Once warm, at stand stills cant get into first or reverse. However if im rolling a bit i can easily get into first. Going to have this checked out once again because this is definitely not normal and is very annoying. Also sometimes feels as though sometimes in reverse it doesn't want to disengage when i try to pop it out.

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I have a Southbend Drop-In Disc and have a weird issue since having it installed where if I go from let's say 1st to reverse, letting out the clutch, it's catching at the very tip and super tight. Like if I'm not ready for it, I can stall out easy. I'm not sure what the heck causes it but it is super annoying.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
I have a Southbend Drop-In Disc and have a weird issue since having it installed where if I go from let's say 1st to reverse, letting out the clutch, it's catching at the very tip and super tight. Like if I'm not ready for it, I can stall out easy. I'm not sure what the heck causes it but it is super annoying.

I really hope this isnt just how to clutch is.. because i heard very good things about them. Guess ill see whats going on when it gets checked again. First time they couldnt replicate the issue. If i turn on the car in gear i can go in and out of all gears like nothing. If i get off the clutch and then try to get back into gears it doesnt let me. Extremely weird. :mad:

slowgti08

Ready to race!
:mad: Trans is being dropped again, Tech was able to replicate what i was saying. #prayforme

Last edited:

Sauce118

Ready to race!
i had the same exact issue when i did my last clutch ( RSR ).. I had to take the throwout bearing out and bench bleed it. for some reason i couldnt get it to bleed properly in the trans.. sucks, but give it a try and i bet youll be happy!

slowgti08

Ready to race!
i had the same exact issue when i did my last clutch ( RSR ).. I had to take the throwout bearing out and bench bleed it. for some reason i couldnt get it to bleed properly in the trans.. sucks, but give it a try and i bet youll be happy!

Tried that multiple times, even swapped it with a new one. No luck, Clutch has been sent back to Southbend for inspection. Trans being opened to view possible damage, worn synchros etc..

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I really hope this isnt just how to clutch is.. because i heard very good things about them. Guess ill see whats going on when it gets checked again. First time they couldnt replicate the issue. If i turn on the car in gear i can go in and out of all gears like nothing. If i get off the clutch and then try to get back into gears it doesnt let me. Extremely weird. :mad:

I've heard great things with Southbend but in the end it probably comes down to installation more than anything. To think every install tech does each clutch install the exact as another tech is crazy. Just hope you got the more knowledgeable one :cool:

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
I've had this same issue man, I'm on my second aftermarket clutch. My first one was a FX350 and I had no issues with it at all (other than just not liking it's daily driveability).

I then switched to a FX200 and after install I initially got locked out of 1st and reverse and the car was undriveable, I'd have to turn it off to disengage. Bleeding it and replacing the slave didn't fix the issue, only the shim kit did.

That fixed it for 99% of the time, only rarely I'll have it kinda "stick" in 1st or reverse where it doesn't want to let go and I need to wiggle it or slip the clutch for a second but it doesn't get completely stuck anymore.

I've read up on it and it seems to be a common experience with many aftermarket clutches kinda sticking in 1st or reverse, not sure why though.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
I've had this same issue man, I'm on my second aftermarket clutch. My first one was a FX350 and I had no issues with it at all (other than just not liking it's daily driveability).

I then switched to a FX200 and after install I initially got locked out of 1st and reverse and the car was undriveable, I'd have to turn it off to disengage. Bleeding it and replacing the slave didn't fix the issue, only the shim kit did.

That fixed it for 99% of the time, only rarely I'll have it kinda "stick" in 1st or reverse where it doesn't want to let go and I need to wiggle it or slip the clutch for a second but it doesn't get completely stuck anymore.

I've read up on it and it seems to be a common experience with many aftermarket clutches kinda sticking in 1st or reverse, not sure why though.

Mine sitcks in reverse at times, but not going into gears at all when first turned on is definitely a pain (and wont go into first at lights). So definitely cant wait to get to the bottom of this..

Last edited:

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Trans was taking apart and the worst has occurred. I need a new 1st gear, as well as synchros for 1st 2nd and reverse, as well as a 1-2 slider.... Clutch was sent back to SB for testing to ensure it is functioning properly.

Update: South Bend reported nothing wrong with the clutch, they broke it down and inspected everything. Hopefully once i changed out the required trans parts are replaced, the problem goes away.

Last edited:

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Off topic, however in NJ we started getting cold weather. I Have Redline trans fluid in my car, and going into second when cold is a crunchy feeling ( Only when cold due to the weather) . What fluid are guys using?