GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
So I'm reaching a decision point, somehow did not have this whole issue on my radar until I got the notice Friday.

113k miles, figuring $1,600 min for chain and tensioner change, $350 for upcoming DSG service, have a turbo oil bypass valve that's leaking. I can live with investing the $2300-2500, but wonder what other surprises lurk. I could use that same $ towards a Mk7 SE.

Is this car going to be death by 1000 cuts if I try to keep it for another 30-40k miles?

it's a reasonable point. aside from time chain/tensioner, you have carbon cleaning (every 50-60K) and possible water pump failure (not sure how well the new revised pump is holding up). other than that it's routine maintenance so that may depend on the car and how well it's been treating you.

I intend to hold on to my car as long as I can, but I don't jump around with cars and in school.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
So I'm reaching a decision point, somehow did not have this whole issue on my radar until I got the notice Friday.

113k miles, figuring $1,600 min for chain and tensioner change, $350 for upcoming DSG service, have a turbo oil bypass valve that's leaking. I can live with investing the $2300-2500, but wonder what other surprises lurk. I could use that same $ towards a Mk7 SE.

Is this car going to be death by 1000 cuts if I try to keep it for another 30-40k miles?

Aside from the timing chain tensioner issue, I wouldn't stress too much. You may want to consider a carbon cleaning in the near future, but that also effects the mk7.

I'd plan on getting the tensioner updated and then doing a DIY DSG service, if you want to save some money.

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
finally got to start on my cars tensioner again and removing the n75 is a pain! im looking for a guide that shows removing the chain too. im replacing guides, chain, and tensioner. my chain is the old style and old tensioner. my intake and exhaust are out of time too... any guides that show how to set time? ive watched youtube videos showing how NOT to lose time when disassembly but mine was already out. i dont want to just rotate and be out of sync with the something and have to do this all over again... im not in a rush, so if it takes 3mons to do it right, so be it

LAGP

Ready to race!
finally got to start on my cars tensioner again and removing the n75 is a pain! im looking for a guide that shows removing the chain too. im replacing guides, chain, and tensioner. my chain is the old style and old tensioner. my intake and exhaust are out of time too... any guides that show how to set time? ive watched youtube videos showing how NOT to lose time when disassembly but mine was already out. i dont want to just rotate and be out of sync with the something and have to do this all over again... im not in a rush, so if it takes 3mons to do it right, so be it
Here is everything you need to know:

Self-Study Program 824803

The Volkswagen 2.0 Liter

Chain-Driven TSI Engine

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Here is everything you need to know:

Self-Study Program 824803

The Volkswagen 2.0 Liter

Chain-Driven TSI Engine

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

This doesn't really have any instructions on how to do it, or any torque specs or anything. Just more of a specs and technical overview on how everything works

Tony48

Go Kart Champion

This is exactly what I needed... Exactly. Thanks
Heh, I'm the one that made post #5 and #9 on that thread. Since that post I tackled the timing job and did a pretty thorough write up on it with lots of links, pictures, etc. Link to the post is in my signature so take a look through it.

I've also helped a couple people through the job via phone call and PM's so feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
Heh, I'm the one that made post #5 and #9 on that thread. Since that post I tackled the timing job and did a pretty thorough write up on it with lots of links, pictures, etc. Link to the post is in my signature so take a look through it.

I've also helped a couple people through the job via phone call and PM's so feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Awesome. I'll check it out. I had to order a new tool to take my n205 off so I can remove the bridge. Almost done with this stupid job. This isn't a hard job at all, just time consuming af

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
another annoying question... what size is the triple square bolts on the guides? and do i really even need to change them? im not changing the ones on the balancers if i dont have to.

edit... never mind, i said screw it and ordered a set of triple square sockets. guess ill change the guides while im in there

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yes its not too bad, just a bit time consuming. I had the hardest time getting the chain back on crank and cam sprockets without it slipping off, kept wanting to pop loose a link when I let tension off the cams. Also strangely I had a crazy hard time getting the cam bridge back on the cams, was such a tight fit. legit took me like 1.5 hours to slide it on after fiddling with it. I was legit about to give up on the car lmao

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes its not too bad, just a bit time consuming. I had the hardest time getting the chain back on crank and cam sprockets without it slipping off, kept wanting to pop loose a link when I let tension off the cams. Also strangely I had a crazy hard time getting the cam bridge back on the cams, was such a tight fit. legit took me like 1.5 hours to slide it on after fiddling with it. I was legit about to give up on the car lmao

havent gotten that far yet :(

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
made it to the cam bridge... why will this thing not slide on!!!

gonna have to buy a dead blow. dont want ot use my hammer on this. i tried taking a 17mm wrench and 3/4 wrench on the cams to try and move them closer or something but didnt help.

any tips other than just hitting it?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
made it to the cam bridge... why will this thing not slide on!!!

gonna have to buy a dead blow. dont want ot use my hammer on this. i tried taking a 17mm wrench and 3/4 wrench on the cams to try and move them closer or something but didnt help.

any tips other than just hitting it?

You actually have to spread them apart a bit, not closer. I used a screwdriver like this video and it took me maybe 2 min to get it on.

https://youtu.be/jIbFLFeTu2Y?t=873