GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChrisB's Candy White 2013 Driver's Edition

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Look at what arrived yesterday with my ECU:

The Stage 1+ tune seems to have improved the top end a bit. Unfortunately, I am left wanting more and wishing I had just done Stage 2+ from the get go. Oh well, maybe next May because me working two jobs is about to go into full swing come January.

EDIT - Put my monster mats in up front tonight:

Why on earth did my car come with 2 sets of carpeted floor mats??? I'm still thinking there is a GTI on the dealer's lot with two sets of monster mats in it, lol.

Last edited:

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Alrighty, I finally got over myself and my hate for the car. Next on the docket are 17" wheels, thinking Enkei Fujin, and RE-11a tires.

I'm also looking for a suitable replacement for the RNS-315. Sorry VW, but your iPod interface SUCKS! As much as I hate Pioneer, I may end up going with another DEH-80PRS because I know all the quirks of it. I was going to get a P99, but, that is overkill for my application. I know, I know, I was waiting for iDatalink to update their Maestro, BUT, after market double DIN radios are painfully slow for some reason.

Last edited:

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
After all these months, here is the Kenwood DNX891HD and I used the iDatalink Maestro to retain stock functionality:

These came in handy for reusing the factory sharkfin for SiriusXM and NAV:

I also changed my mind on processors:

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
And so the install begins:

First I cut the holes:

Next the test fit:

Now I will wait 24 hours for the epoxy to cure:

EDIT: Almost ready to start filling and sanding

test fit:

Last edited:

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I finally installed my subwoofer today after many months of going back and forth as to whether I would replace the GTI or not. Now, I can haz bass:

I had to come up with a mounting solution:

I used two 2.5" 1/4 X 20 bolts and some fender washers to make it happen!

Here is a pic with the sub mounted:

I used 4 machine screws with hurricane nuts and 4 drywall screws. The only reason I didn't use all hurricane nuts and machine screws was due to the fact that the hurricane nuts protruded out into the mounting hole for the sub.

I also had a change of heart regarding the GTI. After test driving a bunch of cars, I decided to stick with the GTI and modify it a little. It offers practicality that most other RWD coupes don't have and it does the job I need it to.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Look at what arrived today:

Possibly my last performance modification!

Last edited:

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Ok, I lied.... I hit a pothole last week that did this:

So I did this:

If I had known that I lightweight 17" wheels would be this good, I would have done this modification FIRST! The car seems to accelerate better off the line and once rolling; ride better; and now has a much lighter steering feel. It feels like a totally different car with smaller, lighter wheels. Never in a million years would I have thought that there would be a noticeable difference between 18" super sports on heavier stock wheels and 17" super sports on lighter aftermarket Enkei PF01s.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I look at it this way. I have three full size spares, lol. Well, 2.5 because one of the tires has a nail in it.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Oh well, I finally got over myself. While this car has been temperamental with random issues, I'm almost certain that just about any car will do something to piss me off at this stage of the game.

Anyway, this happened:

Genesis Profile 16 Component Tweeter:

Genesis Profile 16 Component Woofer:

BitOne DRC in the driver's side cubby hole:

MMATS HIFI-6150D on the passenger's side rear seat:

Two things... 1. I need to get some better photos and 2. It is nice to have a fully active and time aligned setup again.