GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good shock for DG Springs?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
The criticism I've read about Bilsteins, particularly among the BMW crowd is that the valving seems weak on early impact and then harsh as the damper travels. So it's like it feels underdamped initially and then overdamped the further and faster it moves. Still, they're very durable and serviceable. I rarely, if ever, have heard of Bilsteins going bad in an unreasonable amount of time and if you can send them to be revalved to match a specific spring rate if you want to go with custom rates with something like a Ground Control setup.

Koni Sports on the other hand, seem to be less durable and fail more frequently (anecdotal observation, here's your grain of salt), but they are less expensive and Koni offers an excellent warranty. An additional downside is that it has been noted that the valving can be inconsistent from one shock to the next, as observed by those who buy these in large numbers and test them on shock dynos. The rebound adjuster offers some ability to tailor the ride and handling to your tastes, and as far as I can tell it seems that more people prefer the valving in the Konis both for comfort and performance. But another finding of those which shock dynos.... the adjuster is not terribly consistent, a half turn on one may not equal a half turn on the one you have on the other corner of the car. Another upside to the Konis is that they're just as serviceable as the Bilsteins, and you can get them revalved.

So really, they're both excellent choices, but you should know the strengths and weaknesses of each. IMO the downsides of the Konis aren't really all that significant in a street driven car, but maybe I feel that way because I generally prefer that brand.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
What about pairing DG springs with Golf R shocks? They are offered for a little less than the Koni Yellows, and are OEM. Haven’t seen too much about this combo, but it would be interesting to see if they would feel better than the Koni Yellows in terms of comfort.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
B6 with stock springs are fantastic, and i think they would be just about perfect with the mild drop of the DGs.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
I have koni yellows paired with dg springs . Set to 1 or 1 1/2 turns rides nice. Definitely harder than stock but not by much . It's a very nice setup

Sent from my Pixel 2

OlderSlower

Love my Koni's

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems like the Bilsteins have a harsher ride than the Konis. That seems to be the overall consensus. I’m just looking for a more planted feel, without the bounce, and without losing the comfort. Was wondering if the Golf R shocks would be better than the Konis, but it doesn’t seem like anyone has had experience with them. Will most likely just stick to getting the DGs with the Koni Yellows.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Seems like the Bilsteins have a harsher ride than the Konis. That seems to be the overall consensus. I’m just looking for a more planted feel, without the bounce, and without losing the comfort. Was wondering if the Golf R shocks would be better than the Konis, but it doesn’t seem like anyone has had experience with them. Will most likely just stick to getting the DGs with the Koni Yellows.

It seems the Golf R are a good match from searching around the forums. I have researched it extensively. Koni yellows seem the best bang for the buck though and you can adjust them compared to Bilsteins or the Golf R. Literally there is a post not far down from this one with someone pointing out the Koni yellows were the best match for them with the DG springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea, that seems to be the consensus. As for the Golf R shocks, they are slightly cheaper than the Konis on ECStuning. I think you can’t go wrong with DG springs and Koni Yellows.